Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Potter to Palace

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
For him to succeed he needs depth in the squad now and also coming through. We did this through excellent scouting analytics for both the first team and also the future youngsters. Palace don’t have that scouting analytics, saying that not many clubs do. If the squad was better and the talent coming through then yes it would be a fit. Also agree regards the talent hot bed.

In the past he has had chairman who backed him all the way, chairman he could work with and trust. Boelly and Prince Charming are neither of those And he has had his fingers burnt ….
Palace have very high performing academy teams - and have traditionally had a good catchment area for talent, so it's possible this could work in his favour.

Agree that Parish's twitchy, panic-button pressing finger, would be a massive red flag for GPott, after his last experience.

West Ham would seemingly be the best fit, although I suspect Rodgers will be the one they go for.

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
I'm seeing a lot of comments here about "training facilities" : aren't there new facilities at Palace, that are very impressive ? They might be Academy focused, but still state of the art etc? The Palace one is interesting in terms of a destination for GP. For me, its the certainty and vision of the ownership that will hold sway and he will be more circumspect after Ted B experience.. if Palace can convince him of that (and I am not sure they can albeit I genuinely don't know enough about them to comment meaningfully) , then I think it looks like a realistic option that he will weigh up vs. the other summertime opportunities. I am not also convinced that staying in the PL will be a deal-breaker in itself.

The next job is critical for his career in England.. Chelsea nightmare will long be forgotten if he delivers a promotion from Championship and/or a change in style..

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I see two key factors here:

Potter has just received an eye-watering payoff which means he doesn’t have to go ANYWHERE for the next 30 years…

And secondly for a man whose ego easily eclipses his abilities, he will be thinking more El Clasico than Eagles…
Widely reported as not being the £50m contract value, that would be expected.
Not chicken feed, but likely to be no more that £17m.

I don't think he's ready to retire just yet and will want to redeem himself.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I'm not sure about that. I think 'us' – as those who have an axe to grind of a hatred of all things GPott (I'm not including myself in that) think the worst. When actually, I've seen a few articles that suggest GP's reputation is still in tact, given the shitshow that he walked into and then after that transfer window.

In some ways he wasn't there long enough to BECOME a bad manager – people will still point to his record at Brighton and think he'll be able to do a job for them. Just not at a basket case club like Chelsea that is clearly in transition with people at the very top who don't really know what they are doing!
Greg old love hatred is a very strong word.

There's no doubting GP polarised opinion amongst the support, whilst he had to go I was upset at the way Hughton was disposed off, I was told pre match (40 mins before KO) via my local in Spain Potter was coming in (Bozza has seen the text) but the post match interview on the pitch with Richie Reynolds, then his security pass allegedly not working at the training ground 24 hours later but before he got the news were uncalled for but thats football.

There was more good than bad in the GP Amex tenure but I'm sorry the thing that really pissed me off was the history lesson line.

Apologies for being old and a bit cantankerous but that's not going to change. :thumbsup:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I'd be amazed if he went anywhere before the summer.

Come summer he should have a number of options. West Ham and Southampton seem the most obvious to me.

I don't see Palace as being too viable. They're not a united club off the field, they're not patient on or off the pitch and the fans will turn very quickly the first stretch of poor results they get.

Plus I don't think his reputation is too tarnished. It's clear he was a poor fit for Chelsea and their shitshow style so he should have a decent set of options.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Interesting. I'm reliably informed by Palace friends that they do have some very promising players coming through. It has to be said that in recent years , south London has become one of THE hot beds for emerging talent in England. Sadly, the question may be whether Graham Potter thinks his family could continue living in Brighton if he took the Palace job, such would be the reaction from some Brighton fans. When Bobby Zamora was linked with Palace, he said he received death threats and therefore quickly dismissed the idea. Nevertheless, if you were Steve Parish, you'd definitely call Potter, one of the game's smartest and now available young coaches.
I think West Ham, if they stay up, or perhaps even Spurs, are more likely destinations.

If you have watched “one shot” or “The academy “ you will see that south London is a real hot spot for football. Now Palace don’t sweep up all those players but in the last 2 or 3 years the academy has done really well from basically a standing start and you can see it in the leagues they play in.

U18s second in the league, U21s are 3rd and u23s are 5th.

Now we are all aware that only a few of those players will make it, but to say there is no depth is not really correct.

Going back to Potter, it’s a job for a manager and if it’s right for him he will do what he thinks is correct, the same as Mullery and Coppel did,

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
If you have watched “one shot” or “The academy “ you will see that south London is a real hot spot for football. Now Palace don’t sweep up all those players but in the last 2 or 3 years the academy has done really well from basically a standing start and you can see it in the leagues they play in.

U18s second in the league, U21s are 3rd and u23s are 5th.

Now we are all aware that only a few of those players will make it, but to say there is no depth is not really correct.

Going back to Potter, it’s a job for a manager and if it’s right for him he will do what he thinks is correct, the same as Mullery and Coppel did,
If there is a 'Brighton's worst fear' thred on the Palace board this would be mine.

There's so much talent coming out of South London which you appear to have regularly missed. If you get your act together and starting getting them you'll have a fantastic supply line of players.:tantrum:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

There's no doubting GP polarised opinion amongst the support, whilst he had to go I was upset at the way Hughton was disposed off, I was told pre match (40 mins before KO) via my local in Spain Potter was coming in (Bozza has seen the text) but the post match interview on the pitch with Richie Reynolds, then his security pass allegedly not working at the training ground 24 hours later but before he got the news were uncalled for but thats football.

There was more good than bad in the GP Amex tenure but I'm sorry the thing that really pissed me off was the history lesson line.

Apologies for being old and a bit cantankerous but that's not going to change. :thumbsup:
Pure supposition on my part, but hearing that Winstanley had a part in GP's sacking at Chelsea, I wonder if some of the bad things like the security pass etc weren't down to him as well. Just a train of thought....

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Widely reported as not being the £50m contract value, that would be expected.
Not chicken feed, but likely to be no more that £17m.

I don't think he's ready to retire just yet and will want to redeem himself.
Saw £13m being touted as his pay off.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
I was in WSL close to home dug out the day of CH last game re Man City and whilst Harty comments are new news to me - a lot of the body language from some senior folk on pitch meant that the next days news was not a great surprise when I read it

CH was / is a very proud man and was always very obvious how much being our gaffer meant to him, would love to see him back at Amex for whatever reason, but suspects it still hurts from his end re how it ended, hence never been back since

With GP he never gave off the same vibe at all, and added to this re history lesson comments etc, that before you add in home defeats to Burnley and Shef Utd and he was so upset sat slumped in his seat - RDZ would have exploded ....

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
Saw £13m being touted as his pay off.
No way in hell anyone could possibly live the rest of their lives on such chickenfeed. After tax he would be looking at little more than £6m. Maybe we should organise a bucket collection for him at our next match?

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
The more you think about it, the more it becomes evident that the team that would suit Potter best, in terms of its recruitment, long-term vision, patience, loyalty, style of football and potential is ... Brighton & Hove Albion. He could have potentially spent a decade here, doing what he does best. I don't think it will be possible to find another "project" with so many Potter ingredients in the mix, or a set of owners and supporters who are prepared to wait long enough for everything to click into place.

Too late now of course.
Thank god he jumped ship then and allowed the superior RBZ through the door!

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Moreso than Muzza's dalliance...?
Hmmm...probably.

Murray wasn't wanted by Gus and although he did have other options, he took the palace shilling. He had mouths to feed.

Potter, on the other hand, left BHAFC motivated by financial greed. AND left at a time when potentially he could have done us a lot of damage. Thankfully, Mr Chairman had all his ducks in a row and we upgraded with RDZ.

If Potter ever gets another job with a PL club, he will get all the shit he deserves at the Amex - whichever club he is managing.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Palace (as you say)
West Ham (if they stay up but Moyes is sacked)
Brentford (if Frank is poached)
Leeds Utd (Gracia has only signed a 'flexible' contract)
Fulham (if Silva goes)

He then might hold out for the inevitable sackings by Oct/Nov.
All good calls.

I like to think he wouldn't go to Palace, but who knows....... I've said for some time he is a good fit for West Ham, and really think that is his next move.

Any thoughts on Leicester or Spurs?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

I have no idea what you're on about or what relevance CH's departure had to do with the fact that some Brighton fans hate (and yes, it IS a strong word but, in some cases, accurate) Graham Potter and will want him to fail wherever he lands up. I don't know what you're apologising to me for, I couldn't give a shite!

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
I was in WSL close to home dug out the day of CH last game re Man City and whilst Harty comments are new news to me - a lot of the body language from some senior folk on pitch meant that the next days news was not a great surprise when I read it

CH was / is a very proud man and was always very obvious how much being our gaffer meant to him, would love to see him back at Amex for whatever reason, but suspects it still hurts from his end re how it ended, hence never been back since

With GP he never gave off the same vibe at all, and added to this re history lesson comments etc, that before you add in home defeats to Burnley and Shef Utd and he was so upset sat slumped in his seat - RDZ would have exploded ....
CH should be a club legend - was treated shabbily
Yet Potter was waved off into oblivion....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here