Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Potter to Palace

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
The more you think about it, the more it becomes evident that the team that would suit Potter best, in terms of its recruitment, long-term vision, patience, loyalty, style of football and potential is ... Brighton & Hove Albion. He could have potentially spent a decade here, doing what he does best. I don't think it will be possible to find another "project" with so many Potter ingredients in the mix, or a set of owners and supporters who are prepared to wait long enough for everything to click into place.

Too late now of course.

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
Because of the ages of his three boys, I don‘t think he’ll want to uproot the family/their schools. So I think it’ll be a London or along the coast team.
I think that this is a very fair point, it certainly makes a move to Palace a credible option for him and I'm sure Glenn Murray had similar thoughts when he opted for Sarf London. Frankly though if I were G.Pott I'd go for a clean break and re-locate somewhere where history won't trail him around like a three legged dog.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
He'll regret the timing of all this though- Leicester would've been a great move but you can see why he'd want a rest.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
I can’t. They simply don’t have the players coming through for a Potter project. The main reason Potter was so successful was the pool of players he had available. Palace don’t have the depth.
Interesting. I'm reliably informed by Palace friends that they do have some very promising players coming through. It has to be said that in recent years , south London has become one of THE hot beds for emerging talent in England. Sadly, the question may be whether Graham Potter thinks his family could continue living in Brighton if he took the Palace job, such would be the reaction from some Brighton fans. When Bobby Zamora was linked with Palace, he said he received death threats and therefore quickly dismissed the idea. Nevertheless, if you were Steve Parish, you'd definitely call Potter, one of the game's smartest and now available young coaches.
I think West Ham, if they stay up, or perhaps even Spurs, are more likely destinations.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I don't think us outsiders realise how the whole experience at the Bridge has not only affected him but football's perception of him?

I don't think he will take a job this season, imagine if he went to Leicester or West Ham, perhaps Forest and got relegated?

He will probably take a job in the summer, but has to be straight out of the traps, if he has a bad start you can almost hear it now, "was shit at Chelsea and nothings changed"

He may have a few quid now, good luck to him, but there's a lot resting on the next 9 months for him
I'm not sure about that. I think 'us' – as those who have an axe to grind of a hatred of all things GPott (I'm not including myself in that) think the worst. When actually, I've seen a few articles that suggest GP's reputation is still in tact, given the shitshow that he walked into and then after that transfer window.

In some ways he wasn't there long enough to BECOME a bad manager – people will still point to his record at Brighton and think he'll be able to do a job for them. Just not at a basket case club like Chelsea that is clearly in transition with people at the very top who don't really know what they are doing!

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
The Viera experience makes me think he won't go to Palace. One bad run against some top half teams and Viera was sacked. Potter can't work under those circumstances
superficially may be some intent. but their decision to bin Vieira, then appoint Hodgson, shows a club without any comittment to a strategy or vision. i dont see Potter going there regardless of our history.
Both valid points, to make clear, I don’t actually think Palace is a good fit for Potter and because of these reasons above, but I think he will still go there because I think current circumstances put Palace in a better place to negotiate a position with him. They are more likely to stay up this season based on an easy run in and if Parish is smart, he’d be in discussions now to arrange a succession plan (as I dont think anyone seriously thinks Hodgson is going to stay beyond this season). As much as Palace’s sacking of Vieira wasn’t favourable I’d argue that it wouldn’t be enough to deter Potter.

I just cant see it being Stains because arguably their season has been so chaotic and doesn’t inspire a lot of confidence - even less so than Palace. Plus they are currently dead last in the league and have a fairly difficult run in.

West Ham is perhaps the next best team, but I think its so tricky to predict the situation there and Brendan Rodgers is also a likely contender. This all assumes Moyes manages to keep West Ham up.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
I'd say that Palarse are about where we were at the end of Hughton's time with us with regards to their squad: the nucleus of an OK team but in serious need of a revamp and new ideas. However at Brighton there were a number of advantages that are not available in Selhurst; a better ground, better training facilities, better CEO, better corporate structure all round, Tony Bloom, the recruitment algorithm was being recalibrated to South America wonder kids and of course far superior fans in every way.

So for Potter to go there in June might make some sense for him but it won't be as "easy" for him there as it was here at Brighton but I'd expect him to do Ok there too. Maybe not as well as he eventually did here, but he could possibly get them as high as, I don't know...

... 12th in about 3 season time?

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I don't think the wider footballing world suddenly see him as a bad manager but I do think very few people are in any doubt of the type of manager he is now- a cerebral approach, a huge amount of chopping and changing both in terms of team and during game, someone who needs the whole club to really buy into his style, a long term manager, a problem with goal scoring. So there will certainly be a few boards that are more hesitant than they were in September.
And of course he is going to want to make sure he joins a club he really feels he can be a success out. If his next job is a failure he's going to be spending an awful lot of time on the beach for the next twenty years

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
Interesting. I'm reliably informed by Palace friends that they do have some very promising players coming through. It has to be said that in recent years , south London has become one of THE hot beds for emerging talent in England. Sadly, the question may be whether Graham Potter thinks his family could continue living in Brighton if he took the Palace job, such would be the reaction from some Brighton fans. When Bobby Zamora was linked with Palace, he said he received death threats and therefore quickly dismissed the idea. Nevertheless, if you were Steve Parish, you'd definitely call Potter, one of the game's smartest and now available young coaches.
I think West Ham, if they stay up, or perhaps even Spurs, are more likely destinations.
I can't see Spurs being a good home for him... it would have all the same issues as Chelsea

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
Thinking about it more, he might be more suited to a sleeping giant resurrection type of project. Maybe take on Birmingham City or even Sheffield Wednesday? He did OK at Swansea in their fire-sale season and would probably have got them challenging for promotion given another year or two there. Quite a drop down in level but then he wouldn't be too worried about the salary at least.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
For him to succeed he needs depth in the squad now and also coming through. We did this through excellent scouting analytics for both the first team and also the future youngsters. Palace don’t have that scouting analytics, saying that not many clubs do. If the squad was better and the talent coming through then yes it would be a fit. Also agree regards the talent hot bed.

In the past he has had chairman who backed him all the way, chairman he could work with and trust. Boelly and Prince Charming are neither of those And he has had his fingers burnt ….

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
I see two key factors here:

Potter has just received an eye-watering payoff which means he doesn’t have to go ANYWHERE for the next 30 years…

And secondly for a man whose ego easily eclipses his abilities, he will be thinking more El Clasico than Eagles…

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here