Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter returning vs Murray returning

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Nostalgia is nearly always rose tinted. Potter was ok, left us without a moment's hesitation, taking a couple of club legends with him, and gave us lectures about learning our history. Well, he is history. Don't look back.

RDZ seems ok now, so let's wait and see how the summer goes. Whatever happens, it isn't going to take Bloom and Barber by surprise, as they will have contingency plans. Let's see how our injured players are when they get back.

Garyoldfan

Jun 14, 2023
Nostalgia is nearly always rose tinted. Potter was ok, left us without a moment's hesitation, taking a couple of club legends with him, and gave us lectures about learning our history. Well, he is history. Don't look back.

RDZ seems ok now, so let's wait and see how the summer goes. Whatever happens, it isn't going to take Bloom and Barber by surprise, as they will have contingency plans. Let's see how our injured players are when they get back.
The club legends he “took” didn’t go at gun point.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
The last new manager I booed on arrival was Steve Gritt.

So I guess Potter would have to match that uptick in results for me to give him any appreciation at all.

Swegulls

Aug 29, 2023
Stockholm
There and then, not one manager would have said no to Chelsh*te, not even Saint RDZ (if he were in his third or fourth season at the club). He would have packed his stuff and brought Maldera et al with him.

Beat the Bees tonight, find out a way to handle the training load (to be able to keep them in good shape will be like new signings for those teams that can solve this acute problem) and play it a bit more simple/smart when needed and I think next season will be fine.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Absolutely baffled as to why so many want to go back to a guy who took so long - nearly 3 seasons - to start getting results.

If RDZ leaves, then going back to the slow pace of Potterball would be a massive step back, imho.

A fresh face and a new up and coming manager with ambition, please. Not just a good project manager that considers Brighton and 'easy job' and waffles on about history lessons every time supporters dare to suggest the sun doesn't shine out of his arse.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Anyone but Potter. People forget the awful winless and goalless runs we had for 3 years and his over inflated ego, De Zerbi has taken it to a level Potter was nowhere near to and ever likely to get too. People need to smell the coffee and see the level of football De Zerbi has installed

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
It's not comparable at all. Potter was packing his bag, before the end of the phone call. Murray never wanted to leave, just a new contract, which he fully deserved and should have been given. Poyet never pushed for Murray to stay or made him feel wanted, so he left.....and Poyet got the man he wanted more, CMS.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Because Graham Potter did a decent enough job managing a mid-sized Premier league club from 16th - 9th over 3 seasons. He then failed at a club that Pocchetino is currently failing at, and which Tuchel was sacked from after winning the Champions League. The guy who took over from Potter also had a far worse record than he did in the following months. I don't see how anyone can hold the Chelsea job against him, it's a complete basket case that nobody seems to be able to sort out. I really can't see how anyone can argue that Potter isn't a reasonable mid-table Premier League Manager.

Glen Murray took until he was in his 30's to score a decent amount of goals at Championship level, and then finally hit a 1 in 4 record in the Premier League for a relegation battling club in his mid-30's. He is not a 'top footballer' by any stretch of the imagination. Jao Pedro isn't even a 'top footballer' yet, and he is already vastly superior to Murray and he's only 22. If Murray was anywhere near a 'top footballer', he wouldn't have been playing for us.
Wow

Exilegull

Mar 14, 2024
I think we play shit nearly every week. This is our league goal median this season counting from the wake up against Birmingham. 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, 5. In 15 out of 21 games I see us score nothing or once. Was it more funny in cups yes for a bit then we threw all the cups first chance possible. Maybe Im not right kind of connosseur but not having much fun at all most times watching us though love the stomps as much as anyone. Should Potter be the solution. No but we can do lot better than we are. Were not playing exciting football. Sorry for rant
Add another thrilling 0 to that. Good Zerbi is not Potter its the only thing he´s doing right

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Point 3 - I was under the impression that it was Poyet who didn’t want Murray to stay.
If you remember Murray kept on not waving or smiling sufficiently at fans after games so Guy was completely in binning him off based on many on NSC at the time

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
If you remember Murray kept on not waving or smiling sufficiently at fans after games so Guy was completely in binning him off based on many on NSC at the time
That was once at Brentford and it was out of order I don’t care what anyone says. He had come back from injury had put a shift in and the fans acknowledged that. Why he chose to blank his own fans from a few meters away was bizarre.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here