[Albion] Potter Polarising …

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I’m definitely Team Potter but I’m also a fan of the writing in The Guardian. You’d absolutely love this gem if it wasn’t about your own team.

“One long-term United target that appears to have got away is Moisés Caicedo, with the Ecuadorian teenager set to join Brighton. Graham Potter also wants MK Dons full-back Matthew Sorinola to join his all-passing, no-scoring performance art project.”

:lolol:

Got sent that on whatsapp earlier and nearly quoted it on here myself! Very funny because it's at least partially true.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Thanks all, you’ve restored my faith in reasoned debate - some of the most impressive arguments and posts I’ve read in a thread for a while ... it started off well let’s be honest, but perhaps (elsewhere) I am indeed guilty of amplifying certain poster’s in my head.

Akin to Slash when he used to utterly dominate the other fine players in GnR... all hair, cigarette and over driven reverb ... yes he put on a performance, but his was a ‘light’ that shone with nought subtlety... Izzy however, he held it all together... as our more level headed scribes do so well ... herein in particular.

Rock on, yet humbly so. Peter Green like, yes ... that’ll do.

Shine on [MENTION=494]Kosh[/MENTION] you crazy diamond :rock:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
So we’re all in agreement; Gus Poyet was brilliant :laugh:

Thread closed.

Hang on ... Lol.

Yeah, shame on Potter for not touting himself for a better job every week. Even more gutting for the Outers :wink:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Prime example of what this thread is about. Waxing lyrical about how a manager turned us around in the third tier with one of the best budgets in that division and comparing it to a PL manager changing the style of play completely of a team that came within a couple of games of relegation in the previous season. Whilst having to mostly use the old manager’s players who cost less in total than one player from a top team, to do it. It’s a crazy crazy argument imo. As if doing this in the PL during a pandemic was something simple :rolleyes:

I know it’s not a popular observation but we do have some pretty entitled fans these days both old and new too.

Poyet didn’t start spending money until we got promoted to the Championship. Barnes came on loan from Plymouth, Wood from West Brom.
OGH, Elliott Bennet, Andrew Crofts and Dean Cox were still playing when we won League 1. All played under Slade.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I’m definitely Team Potter but I’m also a fan of the writing in The Guardian. You’d absolutely love this gem if it wasn’t about your own team.

“One long-term United target that appears to have got away is Moisés Caicedo, with the Ecuadorian teenager set to join Brighton. Graham Potter also wants MK Dons full-back Matthew Sorinola to join his all-passing, no-scoring performance art project.”

That is weapons grade brilliant! :lolol:

kjgood

You see, I don't think he was hired primarily to win games. I think he was hired to change the entire philosophy of the playing side of things. To avoid expensive buying mistakes, promote youth and ultimately make the playing side of things self supporting. I think Tony is wise enough to realise he can't just keep shovelling money in to buy players who might fail. Much cheaper to promote youth, who still might fail but without the £20mil price tag. Next phase is to start selling the occasional the occasional academy product for £50mil. I think Tony is looking at the end game, and might actually have factored in a relegation whilst trying to avoid it without burning money.

i think he's a very wise man, and I think him and GP might represent the only viable long-term future for this club if we want to stay at the top level in the long term.

Hmmmm never thought of it from this angle before so thank you for that. Last night actually the team played OK apart from the very frustrating inability to score, and I mean really frustrating inability, my neighbours now know I swear some really bad words and amazingly I still have a TV screen. I've even started getting a bit more relaxed between the 43 and 48th and 86 to 94 minutes. Please just score some goals!

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Poyet didn’t start spending money until we got promoted to the Championship. Barnes came on loan from Plymouth, Wood from West Brom.
OGH, Elliott Bennet, Andrew Crofts and Dean Cox were still playing when we won League 1. All played under Slade.

Are you seriously comparing how to get a team playing well and winning games in tier 3 and the PL?

Did it pass you by how our style under CH went from brilliant in the Championship to turgid negativity in the PL?

We are now playing just as well as we did under CH in the Championship, arguably better, but just can’t score.

You really have got a dislike of Potter haven’t you?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Are you seriously comparing how to get a team playing well and winning games in tier 3 and the PL?

Did it pass you by how our style under CH went from brilliant in the Championship to turgid negativity in the PL?

We are now playing just as well as we did under CH in the Championship, arguably better, but just can’t score.

You really have got a dislike of Potter haven’t you?

I never thought Chris Houghton’s football was turgid.

I don’t dislike Graham Potter. He just doesn’t inspire me to have any faith in him. He’s like blancmange, bland.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

I don’t dislike Graham Potter. He just doesn’t inspire me to have any faith in him. He’s like blancmange, bland.

Fair enough, end of this discussion :smile:

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

I’m Potter in, but absolutely, can tell that’s the Guardian. Hats off to the author of that passage, tremendously written, witty and yes, sadly a core element of truth to it at the moment.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

Did you somehow miss the last few weeks of the 2018-19 season?

The first match I saw in person that campaign was the bore draw at Wolves, when their fans were chanting "How do you watch this every week"!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Did you somehow miss the last few weeks of the 2018-19 season?

The first match I saw in person that campaign was the bore draw at Wolves, when their fans were chanting "How do you watch this every week"!

No. It’s all about opinions, and I have mine.
I don’t need to justify it to anyone.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I would take Chrissy Hughton’s 8 or 9 home wins a season and the odd away win over this shite all day long. I guessing you all enjoyed the double over Palace wins over Arsenal, Man Utd and more often than not we beat teams around us at home. I’m genuinely surprised Potter is getting a free pass when our most successful manager for decades got slated for a bad half a season. Lost a bit of respect for TB when he sacked CH and then dug himself a bigger hole handing out a six year deal to Potter.

Mr H

Mar 8, 2012
LA
I would take Chrissy Hughton’s 8 or 9 home wins a season and the odd away win over this shite all day long. I guessing you all enjoyed the double over Palace wins over Arsenal, Man Utd and more often than not we beat teams around us at home. I’m genuinely surprised Potter is getting a free pass when our most successful manager for decades got slated for a bad half a season. Lost a bit of respect for TB when he sacked CH and then dug himself a bigger hole handing out a six year deal to Potter.

6 or 7 wins in the EPL.
Don't spoil your argument with false stats.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I would like Potter to succeed, and keep waiting for us to improve, as in getting higher up the table. Is 15th or 14th place attainable?

All I keep reading is, it will fall into place, or it will get better. It is very much jam tomorrow and I don't think I have the faith in him to do it.

I hope but the hope gets shattered week in and week out, with an occasional glimmer here and there, of what might be.

The sensible, middle ground option
I am in this much ignored gang.

Bognor Seagull

Dec 2, 2011

Agree. I want to see my team win, not hoping for the occasional draw.
It’s a results business. Always felt sorry for Mike Bailey - our most successful manager to date. Took us to mid table in the top flight but the football want great. At least he knew how to grind out results!
Potter is a poor manager & being given a far too easy ride

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Agree. I want to see my team win, not hoping for the occasional draw.
It’s a results business. Always felt sorry for Mike Bailey - our most successful manager to date. Took us to mid table in the top flight but the football want great. At least he knew how to grind out results!
Potter is a poor manager & being given a far too easy ride
The current regime seem obsessed with the club being a project which is an easy get out clause when we fail on the pitch. Potter fans bring it up all the time after poor results it’s a project what do you expect? Stoke chiefs also wanted to try and play expansive football it didn’t work and I fear we are heading the same way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports