Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Potter [NOT] at Chelsea

Potter at Chelsea

• I want him to fail

Votes: 365 48.2%
  • I want him to succeed

Votes: 73 9.6%
  • He's gone. I'm indifferent. Graham who?

Votes: 320 42.2%

• Total voters

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
"Any team can look great passing around outside of the opposition box." - This is obviously not true, very few teams pass the ball around as well as we do regardless of if that is Potter style ball retention or De Zerbi style ball retention and both styles were achieved by players coached by Potter before De Zerbi turned up. Do you seriously believe De Zerbi took a bunch of Palace level cloggers and created the current team with a bit of fairy dust and a week in Dubai?

"We really weren’t that great until a certain Ecuadorean came into the side." - So we weren't amazing to begin with under Potter but we were getting better and better before he left? Does that indicate a good manager or a bad one?

"Two homes wins in a calendar year eleven games without a win and our longest PL losing streak all came under Potter which gets conveniently forgotten about by some." - A team in transition from perennial relegation candidates goes through a bad spell, this is not enjoyable but not surprising and then we came out of the other side as a better team. Are you saying Alex Ferguson was a bad manager because Man Ure finished 11th in his 3rd season there? Selecting just a sample of data to back up an argument is deliberately trying to distort facts, just as bad as Potter fans who only talk about the wins.

"Yes we had a few good wins against the top six but then again most sides manage one or two of those." - Yes most sides manage one or two, is that all that we ever managed then? I think we could all name more than that and they weren't flukey Palarse level 1-0s. We went in to every game against the big 6 with at least a hint of optimism that we might get something out of them. Compare that with the infamously dull anti-football that we were reduced to in Hughton's last game against Spurs - we were desperately holding on for a draw from the first minute.

Where Potter really struggled with us was against the low block teams and this could be said to be the biggest challenge for De Zerbi too (although the signs are that he will do better).

Yeah sure, bang on about the frustrating low block struggles we had under Potter, his dreary interviews or his frikin annoying habit of sucking in air through his teeth but to try and use any of this as evidence he was somehow a terrible manager is just laughable. He was, no matter what you think of him as a person, the manager in charge when we came 9th in the premier league and the team that De Zerbi might just get us into Europe with was assembled and coached under that same manager. He was a very good and successful manager for us.
100% spot on. The manner of his departure still rankles, but idiots re-writing history to claim he was a crap manager really are ..... well.......... idiots.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Good result again for Chelsea. Hope their fans appreciate what GP is doing for them.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
100% spot on. The manner of his departure still rankles, but idiots re-writing history to claim he was a crap manager really are ..... well.......... idiots.
Or objective fans who sat through Potter’s 12 game winless run and identified his tactical weaknesses?

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Good result again for Chelsea. Hope their fans appreciate what GP is doing for them.
“Dortmund are an excellent side, with some quality players. *sucks through teeth* We have to respect what they brought to the table today and we competed well with them across the 90 minutes.

I saw plenty of positives for sure, and am happy with the performance.”

Graham Potter (probably)

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
"Any team can look great passing around outside of the opposition box." - This is obviously not true, very few teams pass the ball around as well as we do regardless of if that is Potter style ball retention or De Zerbi style ball retention and both styles were achieved by players coached by Potter before De Zerbi turned up. Do you seriously believe De Zerbi took a bunch of Palace level cloggers and created the current team with a bit of fairy dust and a week in Dubai?

"We really weren’t that great until a certain Ecuadorean came into the side." - So we weren't amazing to begin with under Potter but we were getting better and better before he left? Does that indicate a good manager or a bad one?

"Two homes wins in a calendar year eleven games without a win and our longest PL losing streak all came under Potter which gets conveniently forgotten about by some." - A team in transition from perennial relegation candidates goes through a bad spell, this is not enjoyable but not surprising and then we came out of the other side as a better team. Are you saying Alex Ferguson was a bad manager because Man Ure finished 11th in his 3rd season there? Selecting just a sample of data to back up an argument is deliberately trying to distort facts, just as bad as Potter fans who only talk about the wins.

"Yes we had a few good wins against the top six but then again most sides manage one or two of those." - Yes most sides manage one or two, is that all that we ever managed then? I think we could all name more than that and they weren't flukey Palarse level 1-0s. We went in to every game against the big 6 with at least a hint of optimism that we might get something out of them. Compare that with the infamously dull anti-football that we were reduced to in Hughton's last game against Spurs - we were desperately holding on for a draw from the first minute.

Where Potter really struggled with us was against the low block teams and this could be said to be the biggest challenge for De Zerbi too (although the signs are that he will do better).

Yeah sure, bang on about the frustrating low block struggles we had under Potter, his dreary interviews or his frikin annoying habit of sucking in air through his teeth but to try and use any of this as evidence he was somehow a terrible manager is just laughable. He was, no matter what you think of him as a person, the manager in charge when we came 9th in the premier league and the team that De Zerbi might just get us into Europe with was assembled and coached under that same manager. He was a very good and successful manager for us.
All true. And this is the problem, I want to be able to look back on his time with us with gratitude and respect, yet I am finding so bloody hard to look past how he left us. I have no doubt that given time he will have Chelsea roaring along, I also have little doubt that this will improve my attitude toward him.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
After yet another missed opportunity, Efan Ekoku gave it “he’s done a lot of that tonight, Graham Potter - applauding his players”. Which felt a bit sarcastic. I know he’s trying to encourage them but it did look more appropriate when he was trying to urge on a developing young Albion team rather than a bunch of grossly overpaid under-achievers.

Long term, it would be amazing if he can’t get a tune out of those players somehow. No matter how many times Todd Boehly denies he’ll sack him, I still think whether ‘long term’ will be an option remains to be seen. Let’s see if they go out of the Champions League in the next leg and don’t get close to qualifying via the Premier League.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
He was a great manager for us. But once we started to benefit from the patience and time he was given to create his team, he ducked off to Chelsea taking everything bar the kitchen sink with him. I still want this to seriously tits up for him. I know it is not rational but I am enjoying it.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
Calling fellow supporters idiots for having a different view. Classy.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
“Dortmund are an excellent side, with some quality players. *sucks through teeth* We have to respect what they brought to the table today and we competed well with them across the 90 minutes.

I saw plenty of positives for sure, and am happy with the performance.”

Graham Potter (probably)
"We are suffering in this moment. You can't expect to beat any side in this competition but we will learn our lessons. It is what its is."

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
We improved under Potter, but we’ve speeded up that improvement under RdeZ. The Chelsea forum is interesting reading tonight…….eerily similar to here during the long winless streaks. Better team, nice football…….but can’t ****ing score and need to buy a striker :lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Quite. I don’t think Potter was crap for us, he was great, but he wasn’t the messiah either.
But was he a very naughty boy? ???

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
"Chelsea's expected goals - which measures how good your chances were - was 2.14.
That is the fourth most of any team in this season's Champions League without scoring." (BBC Sport)

If only there had been some way of Chelsea anticipating this outcome...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here