Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Potter [NOT] at Chelsea

Potter at Chelsea

• I want him to fail

Votes: 365 48.2%
  • I want him to succeed

Votes: 73 9.6%
  • He's gone. I'm indifferent. Graham who?

Votes: 320 42.2%

• Total voters

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I don’t think you’re misunderstanding me.
I haven’t registered large numbers of people revelling in the death threats.
But my main point was to question why anybody might think it cool to do so.
There are plenty of people on here who still hold a grudge against Potter, which I don’t and never did, but not to the point of rejoicing in death threats.
No one on NSC thinks it’s cool. The person you quoted originally is deluded and thought there was a group of people on NSC that dislike Potter as it is the “trendy” thing to do so. Given NSC is mainly blokes aged 50 and upwards I seriously doubt most posters give a toss about what the prevailing opinion is.

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
Never had an issue with this. Suffering is relative, surely? Can you only suffer in the Ukraine? Or Syria? At what point does he qualify to suffer? I mean, receiving death threats personally and wishing death on his kids must have been a real challenge wherever or whoever you are. "Shut up mate, you're on £10m a year", right?

Who gave anyone the ability to gatekeep what makes another person's life difficult or otherwise?
Fair enough, I was referring more to his comments around his team & football. Not his personal circumstances.

Just seen the post above from Superfatman Yes, correct.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Yes but the point is being continually repeated here, where no one has done anything of the sort. So why say 'There are plenty of people on here who still hold a grudge against Potter, which I don’t and never did, but not to the point of rejoicing in death threats.'
Because it’s true! Which is obvious just from reading through this thread. But there’s an enormous difference between holding a grudge - which to me is just being a bit miffed perhaps - and thinking death threats are cool.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Because it’s true! Which is obvious just from reading through this thread. But there’s an enormous difference between holding a grudge - which to me is just being a bit miffed perhaps - and thinking death threats are cool.
Well I for one would be very interested to read any such unsavoury comments that were acting gleefully about the death threats. Then I can put the people on ignore. I have read thread, but seem to have missed them.

Please could you quote or direct me to any such statement?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Well I for one would be very interested to read any such unsavoury comments that were acting gleefully about the death threats. Then I can put the people on ignore. I have read thread, but seem to have missed them.

Please could you quote or direct me to any such statement?
I’m sorry but I have said in both posts that I am not aware of hordes of people “acting gleefully about the death threats”, so I can’t direct you to any because I haven’t seen them. Sorry if anything I have said has implied the opposite, but I agree with you.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I’m sorry but I have said in both posts that I am not aware of hordes of people “acting gleefully about the death threats”, so I can’t direct you to any because I haven’t seen them. Sorry if anything I have said has implied the opposite, but I agree with you.
Apologies on my part then as well. Wires crossed, I blame my age. 👍

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I would love an English manager to finally succeed on the biggest club stage. But the cloud under which Potter left has tainted him for me. I understand why he left, I think most of us would do the same if in the same position and if Brighton weren’t our club. But his conduct in leaving, pillaging the back room, hardly showered himself in glory.

So I find myself completely indifferent to his success/failure now. Mainly I want Chelsea to fail because they are our competition for Europe.

I don’t think that should discolour his legacy here.
Agreed.

For me both he and Poyet are our two most important managers of recent decades. Both revolutionised the team and playing style, laying the platform for us to push on to subsequent success.
Seriously? We played great football in League 1 under Gus, easily won promotion, and did reasonably well in the Championship, but there we remained. , When he left we had Garcia and then Hyypia and sat in the relegation zone, so Gus didn't leave us a platform for success. Hughton then gave us his own style of football and he's the one that got us promoted to the Premier League (playing great football I'll add) and then kept us there, so for me he's clearly our most important manager.

Potter changed the style and got us playing some great football in the end, although some of the success also has to be credited to our recruitment team. That change of style has been good for us, but it's not as important as what Chris did.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
They did well yesterday against a surprisingly below-par Dortmund side, so credit to GP for that.

But there wasn't enough over the 2 games for the likes of Real Madrid and Napoli to book extra training.

An extra 2 games to play in Europe, but it's unlikely to be anything beyond that.
All depends on the draw.

Along with Chelsea, already through are Bayern, AC Milan and Benfica.

Barring a miracle or two, they’ll be joined by Real Madrid, Man City, Napoli and either Inter or Porto.

Plenty left against whom they’d be favourites to progress.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Agreed.

Seriously? We played great football in League 1 under Gus, easily won promotion, and did reasonably well in the Championship, but there we remained. , When he left we had Garcia and then Hyypia and sat in the relegation zone, so Gus didn't leave us a platform for success. Hughton then gave us his own style of football and he's the one that got us promoted to the Premier League (playing great football I'll add) and then kept us there, so for me he's clearly our most important manager.

Potter changed the style and got us playing some great football in the end, although some of the success also has to be credited to our recruitment team. That change of style has been good for us, but it's not as important as what Chris did.
I could be convinced that Hughton should be in that category for sure. He achieved great things with us and was a lovely man, it just went a bit stale at the end. Adams too but anyone before that is before my time.

I think it’s because with Poyet and Potter I associate them with a real step change in the club’s status. Poyet drove us forward into the Amex era from lower league plodders to a professional outfit with real regional pull. Potter from a team floundering for survival every year to a competitive and stylish footballing team.

With the team we had in the championship we were always going to be competitive, and Hughton did fantastically to achieve promotion after the near misses. Maybe it’s because of the negative football in the PL, but I don’t associate him with a revolution in our team the same way as the others, but with steady progress

It could also just be that Potter and Poyet left before they could stagnate.

——

Edit after a few minutes more of dwelling on it: you’re right, and I’m being unfair to Hughton’s achievements.

There is more of a gap between where we were when he started (bottom of the Champ) and where he ended than I’m giving him credit for. He is responsible for some of the absolute highest highs of my time supporting Albion. And he presided over a step change too - generic championship team to PL survival is big, and beforehand we wouldn’t have been considered in the same breath as the yo-yo clubs.

I’m letting those last couple of years of PL scrapping sway me too much.

Last edited:

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Agreed.

And Chris got us to the FA Cup Semi final. Stuff of dreams!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
All depends on the draw.

Along with Chelsea, already through are Bayern, AC Milan and Benfica.

Barring a miracle or two, they’ll be joined by Real Madrid, Man City, Napoli and either Inter or Porto.

Plenty left against whom they’d be favourites to progress.
You are right in that they are 5th favourites to win it outright: City, BM, RM, Napoli all ahead of them in betting terms, and rightly so.

Mind you, I wouldn't put money on Chelsea beating Inter, nor Benfica (my dark horses to win the competition). The only team I'd have confidence in Chelsea beating is AC Milan, or perhaps Porto if they got through.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Agreed.

When Poyet left, Garcia also took us to the playoffs so yes, he did leave us a platform. Don’t forget, when he arrived in November 2009, we were in the relegation zone of League 1, and within 18 months we were promoted to the Championship with points to spare.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
When Poyet left, Garcia also took us to the playoffs so yes, he did leave us a platform.

The point I replied to said "laying the platform for us to push on to subsequent success". Garcia getting us to the playoffs, followed by us being in the relegation zone the next year, is not what I consider 'subsequent success'. Hughton then had to rebuild, so the success we've had since Gus left, was not build on his foundations.

Don’t forget, when he arrived in November 2009, we were in the relegation zone of League 1, and within 18 months we were promoted to the Championship with points to spare.
I haven't forgotten that. It was a great achievement, although if you look at the players he had, it's not a great surprise that we were promoted (although we exceeded expectations by beating what was a great Southampton side to the title). But Poyet winning League 1 is not as big an achievement as Hughton getting us promoted to the Premier League.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
And are setting themselves up for a similar and probably even bigger fall.

and when RDZ leaves the Albion probably have their sights set on Jesse Marsch. oh yeah, that would bring another American to the Amex.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The point I replied to said "laying the platform for us to push on to subsequent success". Garcia getting us to the playoffs, followed by us being in the relegation zone the next year, is not what I consider 'subsequent success'. Hughton then had to rebuild, so the success we've had since Gus left, was not build on his foundations.

I haven't forgotten that. It was a great achievement, although if you look at the players he had, it's not a great surprise that we were promoted (although we exceeded expectations by beating what was a great Southampton side to the title). But Poyet winning League 1 is not as big an achievement as Hughton getting us promoted to the Premier League.
But it was bloody great at the time - and that is good enough for me. The best we'd ever been in the third tier since 1958.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
But Poyet winning League 1 is not as big an achievement as Hughton getting us promoted to the Premier League.

You certainly must give great credit to Hughton. You will see. He will have Ghana accomplishing great things in the next World Cup.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
But it was bloody great at the time - and that is good enough for me. The best we'd ever been in the third tier since 1958.
It was great for me at the time too, and I'm hardly complaining about (see avatar). But I don't see how anyone can seriously argue that Gus achieved more here than Hughton, it's ridiculous.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here