Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter: nasty post match interview

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It's quite interesting in hindsight to analyse that booing at the Leeds game, why it happened, Potter's reaction, and the general effect it had on the relationship between the Brighton fans and the manager.

My take on it always was that the boos were a general expression of exasperation and deflation at yet more dropped points, at home, in a game we dominated. People weren't booing the players or the manager as such. They were booing the result, more than anything ... or at least that's my reading of it.

Potter made the schoolboy error of interpreting as a personal slight, or at least a slight against his players, and I don't think that was the case at all. And even if some of the booers intended it that way, so what? They paid their money, their opinion is their opinion, and in any case they were in the minority.

A person with a degree in emotional intelligence would have known that making a big deal out of what happened would be counter-productive, facile, a waste of time. Yet that's what GP decided to do.

Then we had the biggest howler of all: the "history lesson" lecture. After all this club has been through. The four home grounds, the four divisions, the near extinction, the false dawns, the humiliations, the unfairness, the indifference of the authorities, the determination and the togetherness of what was left of the fan base. We know our history, Graham, and we hoped that you did too.

At that moment I suspected that the bond was broken and despite GP being the most successful manager of our modern existence, I never sensed that their was that much mutual warmth. Something seemed off. Contrast with the way the fans got behind RDZ yesterday. (Yes, I realise the circumstances were unique.)

GP is now at a "bigger club" with fans that he may hope are more educated and appreciative. I wish him no ill. But I suspect there will be times, maybe in the near future, when the reaction he got at the Amex after that now infamous Leeds result will seem tame indeed.
Chelsea fans ‘more educated’🤣🤣

You’re spot on though, despite his Masters (up from a degree) in EI, he’s evidently got no sense at all of what fans feel, or why. He sounds more and more like Mr Logic from Viz.

Anyway, yesterday was ‘closure’ on Potter. We’ve upgraded, and I will take only a passing interest in his short career at Chelsea.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
"Potter Out" signs?

Have you got any pictures of these? Because, at the point of his lowest attainment, results wise, fans weren't allowed in the ground.

Since the Man City 3-2 win he was fairly universally adored - well except for by a couple of hundred people at the end of a particularly frustrating afternoon against a shit, and injury ravaged, Leeds.
Seem to remember there was one once which was held by a lone fan and was on the back of a cardboard box. Was down in the southern block of the east stand. Only time that I can recall.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Stop being so pedantic and patronising. Most people get what I mean. He was part of the project at the time and a project which was starting to bare fruits until the yank test came along and he decided to go and take half of our coaching staff with him. Why are you still here anyway?

It's quite interesting in hindsight to analyse that booing at the Leeds game, why it happened, Potter's reaction, and the general effect it had on the relationship between the Brighton fans and the manager.

My take on it always was that the boos were a general expression of exasperation and deflation at yet more dropped points, at home, in a game we dominated. People weren't booing the players or the manager as such. They were booing the result, more than anything ... or at least that's my reading of it.

Potter made the schoolboy error of interpreting as a personal slight, or at least a slight against his players, and I don't think that was the case at all. And even if some of the booers intended it that way, so what? They paid their money, their opinion is their opinion, and in any case they were in the minority.

A person with a degree in emotional intelligence would have known that making a big deal out of what happened would be counter-productive, facile, a waste of time. Yet that's what GP decided to do.

Then we had the biggest howler of all: the "history lesson" lecture. After all this club has been through. The four home grounds, the four divisions, the near extinction, the false dawns, the humiliations, the unfairness, the indifference of the authorities, the determination and the togetherness of what was left of the fan base. We know our history, Graham, and we hoped that you did too.

At that moment I suspected that the bond was broken and despite GP being the most successful manager of our modern existence, I never sensed that their was that much mutual warmth. Something seemed off. Contrast with the way the fans got behind RDZ yesterday. (Yes, I realise the circumstances were unique.)

GP is now at a "bigger club" with fans that he may hope are more educated and appreciative. I wish him no ill. But I suspect there will be times, maybe in the near future, when the reaction he got at the Amex after that now infamous Leeds result will seem tame indeed.
Think the tension happened way before that "history lesson" comment. Some of the flakes in here was already very offended, upset and tearful about a comment GP made a year or so earlier, "some fans expect us to win every game". Bit too much criticism to handle for some Brighton fans.

Also before that he took a hit at the hundreds of Albion fans who blamed Dan Burn for every single conceded goal by saying that people who think BDB is bad knows nothing about football. That also made a lot of fans very offended at the time.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I agree, but he has improved on some of Potters tactics, particularly in midfield, where Caciedo and MacAllister are much closer together.

All very exciting
yeah, I liked what he did against Forest too like a 4 on a dice with Gross and Lallana directly ahead of Caciedo and MacA. It must be great for RDZ because rather than have to install a whole new way of thinking and playing, he can pretty much instantly make the alterations he wants and the players are responding. Very positive.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Think the tension happened way before that "history lesson" comment. Some of the flakes in here was already very offended, upset and tearful about a comment GP made a year or so earlier, "some fans expect us to win every game". Bit too much criticism to handle for some Brighton fans.

Also before that he took a hit at the hundreds of Albion fans who blamed Dan Burn for every single conceded goal by saying that people who think BDB is bad knows nothing about football. That also made a lot of fans very offended at the time.
He’s certainly shown us all this weekend, eh?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

He has shown he is the one who can't take it.

Completely irrelevant anyway, he was a very small part of the history of a club loved by many. The club lives on without him and for his part he has played no part in keeping the club alive. Many of your so called flakes certainly did.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
.. despite GP being the most successful manager of our modern existence, I never sensed that their was that much mutual warmth...
Very much agree with your take on the Leeds' mis-step. The one time that mutual warmth really seemed to exist was after the Leicester game. The Amex and the boss finally in perfect harmony as everyone celebrated together, convinced there were great times to come.

And then he f***ed off a couple of days later.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Sounds like you've been digging around the wastepaper bin from the office I moved out of 2 years ago, and have found some pencil shavings I had been attempting to shape into the face of Lee Van Cleef, while bored waiting for a Teams meeting to boot up.

Quality forensic research, though :thumbsup:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Not even after a few defeats - on The Shed End they almost unanimously want him out now!!!
Surely not

“I am very excited to partner with Chelsea’s new ownership group and look forward to meeting and working with the exciting group of players and to develop a team and culture that our amazing fans can be proud of.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Hold your nerve, Bewley. You are deffo on to a winner :thumbsup:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
He has shown he is the one who can't take it.

Completely irrelevant anyway, he was a very small part of the history of a club loved by many. The club lives on without him and for his part he has played no part in keeping the club alive. Many of your so called flakes certainly did.
He's not the best at taking it and neither are Brighton fans :shrug:

Funny how quick you are to refer to history when it suits you. When GP made the comment after the Leeds game, the main argument people made was that history was a looong time ago and doesn't matter any more so of course you can bo the team after a 0-0 in the PL.

Play 0-0, boo the team, get a comment that history should be remembered and not taking anything for granted.
Brighton fans: "THAT WAS TWO DECADES AGO! We're now paying up to watch the games and deserve to get wins. Ffs, we've moved on."
also, same Brighton fans: "I SAVED THIS CLUB TWO DECADES AGO! I am the victim here, not the boys on the pitch! I deserve to boo!"

Must be nice when you can move in and out of that history-part based on the situation. Very convenient as it allows you to sit quiet for 90 minutes, boo the boys and then call yourself the best and most supportive supporter in the world.

Yesterday the whole world could hear what sounded like pretty much the entire Amex getting behind the team and on the backs of the opponents, and you saw the result of it. You didn't need to go 1-0 up before making noise, you did it from the get go and it paid off compared to the "I'm only singing when winning"-thing that Brighton fans talk a lot about. Sort of proving GPs point as well - if you get behind the boys you win more football games.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I honestly think he thought it would all blow over. A bit of a shock initially but everyone at Brighton would surely understand the job he’d done and wish him well in the end.

Down time at Rockwater just like before and no change to life other than a longer drive to work and spending Wednesdays playing the likes of AC Milan instead of training the likes of Adam Webster.

Not really turned out like that, has it Graham, old son?
This is what I think, I think he’s a smug prick about the whole debacle, and this was his just rewards, I can’t help but feel he thinks he’s better than the average fan.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
He's not the best at taking it and neither are Brighton fans :shrug:

Funny how quick you are to refer to history when it suits you. When GP made the comment after the Leeds game, the main argument people made was that history was a looong time ago and doesn't matter any more so of course you can bo the team after a 0-0 in the PL.

Play 0-0, boo the team, get a comment that history should be remembered and not taking anything for granted.
Brighton fans: "THAT WAS TWO DECADES AGO! We're now paying up to watch the games and deserve to get wins. Ffs, we've moved on."
also, same Brighton fans: "I SAVED THIS CLUB TWO DECADES AGO! I am the victim here, not the boys on the pitch! I deserve to boo!"

Must be nice when you can move in and out of that history-part based on the situation. Very convenient as it allows you to sit quiet for 90 minutes, boo the boys and then call yourself the best and most supportive supporter in the world.

Yesterday the whole world could hear what sounded like pretty much the entire Amex getting behind the team and on the backs of the opponents, and you saw the result of it. You didn't need to go 1-0 up before making noise, you did it from the get go and it paid off compared to the "I'm only singing when winning"-thing that Brighton fans talk a lot about. Sort of proving GPs point as well - if you get behind the boys you win more football games.
As an outsider, you are conflating all our opinions into one and then deconstructing them to find that, f*** me, views vary, and views change over time.

And then you have embarrassed yourself with a load of old bollocks. A bit.

Never mind.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This is what I think, I think he’s a smug prick about the whole debacle, and this was his just rewards, I can’t help but feel he thinks he’s better than the average fan.
To be fair, any manager who doesn't think he knows better than the average fan needs to f*** off out of his job and become a gobshite on NSC. Like our lovely selves :lolol:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
As an outsider, you are conflating all our opinions into one and then deconstructing them to find that, f*** me, views vary, and views change over time.

Never mind.
I think you have just thumped the nail on the head Harry :thumbsup:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Never mind.
Not really. Not everyone got these views obviously, but a lot of those that do wants to have the cookie and eat it too: saying that history was a long time ago and doesn't matter anymore when it fits, and then when it fits also saying "I saved this club 20 years ago I can do whatever the f*** I want".

You're right that views change... sometimes on a daily basis, it seems. Nothing I'll respect though. Very easy to always be the morally superior hero if you can always move into a position where you feel both immune and like a hero.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Very much agree with your take on the Leeds' mis-step. The one time that mutual warmth really seemed to exist was after the Leicester game. The Amex and the boss finally in perfect harmony as everyone celebrated together, convinced there were great times to come.

And then he f***ed off a couple of days later.
I think this also, it seemed especially me and my mates we all backed potter the entire time, every idea, but he never gave anything back in my opinion. I never warmed to him like I did with Hughton, Poyet even Garcia on a personal level. I felt warmth on a footballing level, in that he was a superb coach. He was a master tactician, but not someone who thrived off the passion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here