[Albion] Potter: nasty post match interview

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Depends who the manager is. I'm still disappointed that your man Chris couldn't have returned managing the opposition. He would have said some respectful words beforehand, applauded the home crowd and been cheered loudly by one and all. He never did get the send-off he deserved, and none of us will have forgotten that.
Should he return ever as a guest, he will get a fantastic reception. And fully deserved it will be.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Might sound like an odd question to ask but...

Did Potter ACTUALLY, personally get booed yesterday? (Leaving aside the songs/chanting).

MOTD did some creative editing, showing him apparently isolated (but in reality close to his bench) with a soundtrack of boos which were actually aimed at players, with a post-dubbed commentary tieing it together. Pretty naughty.

If Potter did personally get booed, when was it? Where was he? And under what circumstances
Most definitely

Yeah quite clearly the club is down on its knees, trembling with fear and with a gloomy looking future & present...

Brighton is Tony Blooms project, not Graham Potters.

I've not been around forever as you know but it takes quite limited research to realise these facts: managers, players and other key staff has come and left - but apart from the short dip here and there, two things have remained the same: Tony Bloom running the club, and the club becoming stronger.
Stop being so pedantic and patronising. Most people get what I mean. He was part of the project at the time and a project which was starting to bare fruits until the yank test came along and he decided to go and take half of our coaching staff with him. Why are you still here anyway?

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
Ah there is nothing bad in that interview. He made a few comments that could be viewed a little digs. But you kind of expect that after what just happened. It clearly rattled him a bit. I view it as evidence we did a good job on Chelsea yesterday.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Haven't read the whole thread, but yes it was a little 'nasty'. Yes he did do a good job, no, an excellent job when he as here. But for a man who has supposedly got a qualification in 'Emotional Intelligence' he can be a bit dense at times.

We are pissed off at being asset-stripped and being treated as Chelsea's feeder/nursery club. We are also pissed off at the attitude that being 'little' Brighton we should just accept our fate and meekly accept our place in the food chain; after all we did well financially out of it so we've no right to complain. We totally reject that and as fans we kicked back against it in the only way we (legally) could, by booing. I'm surprised and disappointed that he couldn't recognise that and at least acknowledge that he understood why we were upset. It was more about Chelsea than him, but his petulant "They were lucky to have me" response shows he doesn't really understand people.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
The ridiculous thing about the infamous Leeds booing was that out of a home section of 28,000, say 14,000 left at final whistle, just a few hundred booed. Then that might’ve been against the players, Potter or simply fed up with yet another fruitless 4 or 5 hour trip to the Amex.

Shirley a expert on cognitive thinking would rationalise that the overwhelming majority didn’t boo. Positive thinking.

But he idiotically made a big thing of it on the night and the next day.
I didn’t go to that game but tbh Maupay deserved some stick after that pathetic performance for a so called PL striker maybe he got the boo’s.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
It does feel as though this Potter situation is really indicative of modern day football and it’s lack of loyalty and honour, due to the money on offer.

Don’t blame anyone for leaving for treble the wages and better opportunities but they can’t be unhappy with being given a bad reception either, particularly given the circumstances of this when he’s basically vulturing off certain areas of the club.

As for his interview, it did come across a little bit salty… it was the face and words of a man who claims to not be bothered but clearly it affected him and Cucurella. It helped us win the game so good.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
A typical Potter interview, chippy when pushed on an understandable fan reaction to his return.

Absolutely no need to make comments about the money made.
He was part of a process here, he wasn't the magic touch, turning shit into gold.

Let's not forget he was also one of the "unknowns" identified by TB and turned into a profitable sale.
Exactly this. Always keen to point out it was a team effort (TB, PB, recruitment, coaches, the players themselves) in terms of player development and selling on when he was here. His real feelings comes out now. He's obviously pissed off a being booed but that's still a shitty comment. Anyway, he can enjoy himself in Surrey with those lovely players who don't respect him, odious fans and that wrestling oaf of an owner.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
The ridiculous thing about the infamous Leeds booing was that out of a home section of 28,000, say 14,000 left at final whistle, just a few hundred booed. Then that might’ve been against the players, Potter or simply fed up with yet another fruitless 4 or 5 hour trip to the Amex.

Shirley a expert on cognitive thinking would rationalise that the overwhelming majority didn’t boo. Positive thinking.

But he idiotically made a big thing of it on the night and the next day.
It's quite interesting in hindsight to analyse that booing at the Leeds game, why it happened, Potter's reaction, and the general effect it had on the relationship between the Brighton fans and the manager.

My take on it always was that the boos were a general expression of exasperation and deflation at yet more dropped points, at home, in a game we dominated. People weren't booing the players or the manager as such. They were booing the result, more than anything ... or at least that's my reading of it.

Potter made the schoolboy error of interpreting as a personal slight, or at least a slight against his players, and I don't think that was the case at all. And even if some of the booers intended it that way, so what? They paid their money, their opinion is their opinion, and in any case they were in the minority.

A person with a degree in emotional intelligence would have known that making a big deal out of what happened would be counter-productive, facile, a waste of time. Yet that's what GP decided to do.

Then we had the biggest howler of all: the "history lesson" lecture. After all this club has been through. The four home grounds, the four divisions, the near extinction, the false dawns, the humiliations, the unfairness, the indifference of the authorities, the determination and the togetherness of what was left of the fan base. We know our history, Graham, and we hoped that you did too.

At that moment I suspected that the bond was broken and despite GP being the most successful manager of our modern existence, I never sensed that their was that much mutual warmth. Something seemed off. Contrast with the way the fans got behind RDZ yesterday. (Yes, I realise the circumstances were unique.)

GP is now at a "bigger club" with fans that he may hope are more educated and appreciative. I wish him no ill. But I suspect there will be times, maybe in the near future, when the reaction he got at the Amex after that now infamous Leeds result will seem tame indeed.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Having slept on this, were the comments from Potter yesterday not just out of the Mourinho, Ferguson playbook. Say something that will become the story which removes the focus on how poor Chelsea played, and how poor the Chelsea tactics were in the first half.
If that was the intention, it didn't work. Fans and media are all over the fact he got his tactics wrong for two league games in a row and is trying to force square pegs into round holes. His next 3 league games are Arsenal, Manchester City and Newcastle. Much harder than anything he's faced domestically to this point apart from Manchester United (spawny 1-1 draw) and us (absolute hammering). The unbeaten run looks good but the goalkeeper was the star.

It's no exaggeration to suggest that if Abramovich were in charge a humiliation like yesterday would already mean those next 3 matches could decide his fate. If Chelsea play like they did yesterday, they'll take more hammerings. In the Roman empire, he'd have been sacked before the World Cup.

Unless thinks improve dramatically, Todd Boehly's reaction will be interesting. He probably has to stick by him because he looks like an idiot for the appointment if not. However, there are plenty of Chelsea fans who didn't want Potter in the first place and a fair proportion already unimpressed with the cut of his jib. And, generally, as soon as owners start taking some stick, they don't have a great track record for sticking to their plans...

Listening back to the Five Live commentary from yesterday was informative. Pat Nevin - so close to Chelsea - was calling out the flaw in the tactics very early on and was gobsmacked nobody reacted. After the second goal, he pointed out that while De Zerbi and coaches were studying an iPad, plotting to inflict further damage, the Chelsea bench offered nothing. More worryingly for Potter, several times Thiago Silva was looking across, desperate for something to change but, again, no response. A lack of faith from a player of that stature can only cause big issues (let alone Sterling, whose England career is disappearing down the toilet while he's lost in no-man's land).

All of that astonished me as Potter's in-game decision-making seemed to be arguably his greatest strength. Maybe he just froze. Maybe the job IS too big. My personal theory is that Albion's flexibility was based on years of training the players to move seamlessly between different positions. He needs players willing to do that, which probably won't include seasoned internationals who've played for far more experienced coaches. And he needs an amount of time to do that which is not usually afforded to anyone who'll be regarded as a failure for finishing 5th or 6th.

He really did make a peculiar choice of club for his shot at the big time.

Last edited:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I wasn’t looking to underplay RDZ’s impact and said as much on another thread, but you also have to acknowledge he takes over a very well drilled and coached group of players who can intelligently carry out various tactical approaches - no matter how angry we are at the nature of the departures, we were left in excellent shape for someone to take over. That was clear yesterday, with no egos for Brighton, tactical roles are adhered to no matter what is asked, however Chelsea’s superstars unable to set their ego aside as certain players simply not prepared to carry out their role. Potter could ask Trossard, March to play wingback, Roberto can ask Gross to play right back, but Graham is finding out he can’t ask the likes of Sterling to play a role they don’t want to.

And completely agree with you, we appear to have very thorough succession planning in place that means a natural fit like RDZ and his staff isn’t by luck or accident.
I agree, but he has improved on some of Potters tactics, particularly in midfield, where Caciedo and MacAllister are much closer together.

All very exciting

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Exactly this. Always keen to point out it was a team effort (TB, PB, recruitment, coaches, the players themselves) in terms of player development and selling on when he was here. His real feelings comes out now. He's obviously pissed off a being booed but that's still a shitty comment. Anyway, he can enjoy himself in Surrey with those lovely players who don't respect him, odious fans and that wrestling oaf of an owner.
You omitted to mention someone, who's been excelling himself here since yesterday with his particular tripe. They are welcome to him.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It's quite interesting in hindsight to analyse that booing at the Leeds game, why it happened, Potter's reaction, and the general effect it had on the relationship between the Brighton fans and the manager.

My take on it always was that the boos were a general expression of exasperation and deflation at yet more dropped points, at home, in a game we dominated. People weren't booing the players or the manager as such. They were booing the result, more than anything ... or at least that's my reading of it.

Potter made the schoolboy error of interpreting as a personal slight, or at least a slight against his players, and I don't think that was the case at all. And even if some of the booers intended it that way, so what? They paid their money, their opinion is their opinion, and in any case they were in the minority.

A person with a degree in emotional intelligence would have known that making a big deal out of what happened would be counter-productive, facile, a waste of time. Yet that's what GP decided to do.

Then we had the biggest howler of all: the "history lesson" lecture. After all this club has been through. The four home grounds, the four divisions, the near extinction, the false dawns, the humiliations, the unfairness, the indifference of the authorities, the determination and the togetherness of what was left of the fan base. We know our history, Graham, and we hoped that you did too.

At that moment I suspected that the bond was broken and despite GP being the most successful manager of our modern existence, I never sensed that their was that much mutual warmth. Something seemed off. Contrast with the way the fans got behind RDZ yesterday. (Yes, I realise the circumstances were unique.)

GP is now at a "bigger club" with fans that he may hope are more educated and appreciative. I wish him no ill. But I suspect there will be times, maybe in the near future, when the reaction he got at the Amex after that now infamous Leeds result will seem tame indeed.
I agree.

Going by nsc at that time, Potter still had mass support.

He read the room wrong and was still banging on about at the next press conference. He’d been with us ‘5 minutes’ at that stage, a visitor in the scheme of things and ill advisedly said we needed a history lesson.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports