[Albion] Potter: nasty post match interview

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
As I said - no chance he thinks Chelsea and Brighton fans are the same. Everyone, including Graham Potter, knows that Chelsea fans are as shite as football fans come.

I know he is the villain in your mind. Thats ok obviously. What is a little bit silly is that you're pretending he'd be less of a villain if he was saying cute thinks about you (which, if you read the posts above, he did).

I doubt TB feels all that betrayed, probably disappointed for a minute and then "lets get on with it and keep going". He's a rational, ambitious guy. If loyalty was some sort of key word for him you'd have Dick Knight in the stadium celebrating Chris Hughtons boys picking up three points.

The coaching & recruitment team saved TB a lot of money in incredibly difficult times (financially speaking) while developing the team. I imagine that if the timing is right at some point in the future, any of those who left could be back with Brighton. PB said earlier this year that one of the reasons for not keeping players and staff from moving upwards in their careers is because you want to maintain a good relation if maybe they'd be interested in working for the club again in the future.
It was the manner and the timing that peeked me off, saying lsorry lads but too good a chance to miss“ would have made sense. If you can’t see that then it’s your problem and not mine.
His reaction yesterday was childish and quite frankly a tad strange. I was in the pub Friday with a few friends, one of which is a Chelsea fan, and the joint consensus was that if he had done that to their club he would get dogs abuse. Clubs in where question, Chelsea, Exeter City, Bournemouth and Palace (yes I know but it keeps him off the streets).
The Chelsea fan doesn’t rate potter at all and thinks he’s a mistake.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I honestly think he thought it would all blow over. A bit of a shock initially but everyone at Brighton would surely understand the job he’d done and wish him well in the end.

Down time at Rockwater just like before and no change to life other than a longer drive to work and spending Wednesdays playing the likes of AC Milan instead of training the likes of Adam Webster.

Not really turned out like that, has it Graham, old son?
He might want to reconsider this though :lolol:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It was the manner and the timing that peeked me off, saying lsorry lads but too good a chance to miss“ would have made sense. If you can’t see that then it’s your problem and not mine.
His reaction yesterday was childish and quite frankly a tad strange. I was in the pub Friday with a few friends, one of which is a Chelsea fan, and the joint consensus was that if he had done that to their club he would get dogs abuse. Clubs in where question, Chelsea, Exeter City, Bournemouth and Palace (yes I know but it keeps him off the streets).
The Chelsea fan doesn’t rate potter at all and thinks he’s a mistake.
I know. Much like here, plenty of them thought he was shite even before he had uttered his first sentences as a Brighton manager. Still, in the end plenty were obviously not happy to see him go.

It is just how it normally goes. In fancy-schmancy PL, people want a big name and if they can't get one, they want a foreign one. If Solly March was a Peruvian named Umberto Cartagena, he'd have zero doubters among the Brighton fans.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
As I said - no chance he thinks Chelsea and Brighton fans are the same. Everyone, including Graham Potter, knows that Chelsea fans are as shite as football fans come.

I know he is the villain in your mind. Thats ok obviously. What is a little bit silly is that you're pretending he'd be less of a villain if he was saying cute thinks about you (which, if you read the posts above, he did).

I doubt TB feels all that betrayed, probably disappointed for a minute and then "lets get on with it and keep going". He's a rational, ambitious guy. If loyalty was some sort of key word for him you'd have Dick Knight in the stadium celebrating Chris Hughtons boys picking up three points.

The coaching & recruitment team saved TB a lot of money in incredibly difficult times (financially speaking) while developing the team. I imagine that if the timing is right at some point in the future, any of those who left could be back with Brighton. PB said earlier this year that one of the reasons for not keeping players and staff from moving upwards in their careers is because you want to maintain a good relation if maybe they'd be interested in working for the club again in the future.
If Potter had done things the right way we wouldn't be having this discussion, because there wouldn't have been any booing yesterday. I would love to have welcomed Potter back as a returning hero - with special applause for Bruno (and possibly Ben Roberts). But unfortunately Potter mucked it up for everyone.....especially himself, as he guaranteed a hostile atmosphere in the ground which we fed off, and Chelsea couldn't cope with. Regardless of how great a coach he is (and he's definitely VERY good) he made a huge error in not trying to get us onside. A short press release the day after he jumped ship is NOT what I mean!!

And the fact that Potter mentioned the money thing after the match just underlined how stupid he is - Graham, we're not going to like you any more by insinuating that the transfer fees earned were just down to your coaching!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
His comments post match just sum the bloke up. 'I've got nothing to be sorry about'. You ripped up our entire project you twat, then come back to steal more assets while taking our two long serving staff members.
Yeah quite clearly the club is down on its knees, trembling with fear and with a gloomy looking future & present...

Brighton is Tony Blooms project, not Graham Potters.

I've not been around forever as you know but it takes quite limited research to realise these facts: managers, players and other key staff has come and left - but apart from the short dip here and there, two things have remained the same: Tony Bloom running the club, and the club becoming stronger.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I honestly think he thought it would all blow over. A bit of a shock initially but everyone at Brighton would surely understand the job he’d done and wish him well in the end.

Down time at Rockwater just like before and no change to life other than a longer drive to work and spending Wednesdays playing the likes of AC Milan instead of training the likes of Adam Webster.

Not really turned out like that, has it Graham, old son?
Looking at his and Cucurella’s reactions to yesterday plus big 6 fans responses to the booing on social media, they really don’t understand it all. There is an assumption that Brighton fans should just accept that he and the others have gone to a bigger club, we should know our place, thank them for their service and just be grateful that they lowered themselves to be here for a period of time.

I’m so proud of our club and fans yesterday.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
20E5E433-E39A-490C-AAF7-202EA777ED99.jpeg

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Having slept on this, were the comments from Potter yesterday not just out of the Mourinho, Ferguson playbook. Say something that will become the story which removes the focus on how poor Chelsea played, and how poor the Chelsea tactics were in the first half.

Potter is wrong, he does need to say sorry, not to us, but to the Chelsea fans for becoming the first Chelsea manager to lose to Brighton in the league.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Look at the bags under his eyes.
This will not end well for the guy. He's sold his soul to the EPL Big Six in exchange for anything resembling any kind of sustainable work-life balance. Hope he has the emotional intelligence to get out while the going's good to co-run that pilates course on Hove Lawns as soon as the inevitable Chelsea pay-off kicks in. He don't seem like a happy bunny already, money or no money. Mental health and family should be his absolute focus now IMHO

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
"Potter Out" signs?

Have you got any pictures of these? Because, at the point of his lowest attainment, results wise, fans weren't allowed in the ground.

Since the Man City 3-2 win he was fairly universally adored - well except for by a couple of hundred people at the end of a particularly frustrating afternoon against a shit, and injury ravaged, Leeds.
The only time I think I’ve ever seen signs demanding a manager be sacked, indeed anyone at the ground outwardly and openly displaying dissent directly toward the manager, during the Amex era was the very end of the Hyppia regime.

A few grumbles on here really isn’t comparable, this place is mostly used after games for joyous chattering or to vent a bit about the shambles we’ve seen, and by the next morning when we’ve all slept on it the place has calmed down.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
This will not end well for the guy. He's sold his soul to the EPL Big Six in exchange for anything resembling any kind of sustainable work-life balance. Hope he has the emotional intelligence to get out while the going's good to co-run that pilates course on Hove Lawns as soon as the inevitable Chelsea pay-off kicks in. He don't seem like a happy bunny, money or no money
I think he may be more of a Roy Hodgson type of manager who can get smaller clubs over achieving but struggle with the bigger expectations of a large club as Hodgson did at Liverpool.

Reactions: cjd

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I think he may be more of a Roy Hodgson type of manager who can get smaller clubs over achieving but struggle with the bigger expectations of a large club as Hodgson did at Liverpool.
I just think he doesn't react very well to any kind of criticsm, however mild, and is ill-equipped to deal with it, despite a masters degree in that very subject :dunce:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
The tone of which seemed completely different to yesterday
Except he has . And This is all becoming a bit needy . Potter wrote a letter to the fans a few days after leaving saying exactly that.

I would say it’s more needy trying to defend the bloke, Naylor hasn’t done himself any favours.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Returning Managers can never win with comments they make because their return is usually always gonna be met with mixed responses from fans. Especially if they have been reasonably successful as he was at Brighton
Depends who the manager is. I'm still disappointed that your man Chris couldn't have returned managing the opposition. He would have said some respectful words beforehand, applauded the home crowd and been cheered loudly by one and all. He never did get the send-off he deserved, and none of us will have forgotten that.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Depends who the manager is. I'm still disappointed that your man Chris couldn't have returned managing the opposition. He would have said some respectful words beforehand, applauded the home crowd and been cheered loudly by one and all. He never did get the send-off he deserved, and none of us will have forgotten that.
But that’s loyalty for you. 3.5 excellent seasons and a bad 3 months and he was gone. Perhaps deservedly so, but brutal nevertheless.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Might sound like an odd question to ask but...

Did Potter ACTUALLY, personally get booed yesterday? (Leaving aside the songs/chanting).

MOTD did some creative editing, showing him apparently isolated (but in reality close to his bench) with a soundtrack of boos which were actually aimed at players, with a post-dubbed commentary tieing it together. Pretty naughty.

If Potter did personally get booed, when was it? Where was he? And under what circumstances?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports