[Albion] Potter: nasty post match interview

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Even Potter knew he wouldnt get a warm welcome. When he left his words were something to the effect of 'I know I cant persuade all of you to forgive me leaving'. You only say that if you know its going to piss some people off. So if he's saying that then the rest of the football world should see us giving him a bit of stick and think ''yeah fair enough''.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Sure, he could have made a decision not to mention it, but he did. Just like a few hundred people could have decided to support the team instead of booing it. But it happened and he didn't like it and he said how he saw it... which is because he understands that the connection between the fans and the team matters. Someone like Jesse Marsch spends the entire press conferences arse licking the fans because he sees them as spectators consuming football, and the customer is always right. GP sees the fans as something more interactive, a part of the club basically, that could help or make it more difficult for the team. So when they've helped the team, he has always pointed it out, and when they haven't been all that helpful, he has mentioned that as well.

All depends on how you see it. He saw the fans as a group that could help the team while most of the eternal arselickers sees the fans as a group they have to please to stay in the job. I think he was surprised to see that the Brighton fans belong to the category that want the latter treatment, but hey you learn everyday.
Only aim to control the controllables, another psychology mantra Potter would be versed in.

Why get involved in criticising 200 boo'ers on the night and the next day? In the scheme of things, they were an irrelevance. He had the unwavering support of TB, PB and going by the matchday experience the overwhelming majority of real-world supporters.

Not his proudest moment, I wonder if even he privately thinks that now, but will never come clean. A fight he didn't need to pick.

He'll never take on The Chavs support, things could get toxic very quickly.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
If he was suprised about Brighton fans reactions he's going to be given a nervous breakdown by Chelsea fans after a few defeats.

You make it sound like most of the fanbase was against him all the time, which is rubbish. Every club has a section who don't like the current manager for whatever reason.

GP is the villain here in my mind, I think TB probably is the one who feels the most betrayed. Maybe he doesn't and he helped Potter out of the door. I still have serious doubts that so many contracts and compensation could be sorted so quickly without things already being in place.

We disappointed Potter you say, well f*** me, he disappointed me!!
Not even after a few defeats - on The Shed End they almost unanimously want him out now!!!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Except he has . And This is all becoming a bit needy . Potter wrote a letter to the fans a few days after leaving saying exactly that.

I am pleased you just accepted that and moved on. "hard to forgive" doesn't begin to cover it for me seeing as he stripped the coaching staff completely and has now come back for Winstanley. "Hard to forgive" didn't come close to brushing the anger, with some placatory words, under the carpet for me

You show very little emotion for anything bad that happens from the management at this club, just unwavering support, that's fine, some of us are different. Needy if you must :shrug:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
If he was suprised about Brighton fans reactions he's going to be given a nervous breakdown by Chelsea fans after a few defeats.

You make it sound like most of the fanbase was against him all the time, which is rubbish. Every club has a section who don't like the current manager for whatever reason.

GP is the villain here in my mind, I think TB probably is the one who feels the most betrayed. Maybe he doesn't and he helped Potter out of the door. I still have serious doubts that so many contracts and compensation could be sorted so quickly without things already being in place.

We disappointed Potter you say, well f*** me, he disappointed me!!
As I said - no chance he thinks Chelsea and Brighton fans are the same. Everyone, including Graham Potter, knows that Chelsea fans are as shite as football fans come.

I know he is the villain in your mind. Thats ok obviously. What is a little bit silly is that you're pretending he'd be less of a villain if he was saying cute thinks about you (which, if you read the posts above, he did).

I doubt TB feels all that betrayed, probably disappointed for a minute and then "lets get on with it and keep going". He's a rational, ambitious guy. If loyalty was some sort of key word for him you'd have Dick Knight in the stadium celebrating Chris Hughtons boys picking up three points.

The coaching & recruitment team saved TB a lot of money in incredibly difficult times (financially speaking) while developing the team. I imagine that if the timing is right at some point in the future, any of those who left could be back with Brighton. PB said earlier this year that one of the reasons for not keeping players and staff from moving upwards in their careers is because you want to maintain a good relation if maybe they'd be interested in working for the club again in the future.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I am pleased you just accepted that and moved on. "hard to forgive" doesn't begin to cover it for me seeing as he stripped the coaching staff completely and has now come back for Winstanley.

You show very little emotion for anything bad that happens from the management at this club, just unwavering support, that's fine some of us are different/ Needy if you must :shrug:
Bloody hell using your analogy from the other day - you’re wife’s been shagging behind your back, she’s left weeks ago and you’re now boring all your mates about it down the pub every day 😂

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Bloody hell using your analogy from the other day - you’re wife’s been shagging behind your back, she’s left weeks ago and you’re now boring all your mates about it down the pub every day 😂
Mates, what mates?

Unsurprisingly

Your analogy is shit by the way I am dull enough to have been married for over 40 years :rolleyes:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I am pleased you just accepted that and moved on. "hard to forgive" doesn't begin to cover it for me seeing as he stripped the coaching staff completely and has now come back for Winstanley.

You show very little emotion for anything bad that happens from the management at this club, just unwavering support, that's fine some of us are different/ Needy if you must :shrug:

How is a bit of perspective in how to treat Potter “unswavering support” for the club ? I enjoyed the spectacle of yesterday a lot. The panto fun. What a day. One of my best as a fan in 50 years.
But I’m not going to deconstruct post match interviews with the Chelsea manager seeking to find offence or forget the job Potter did over the last three years in the space of three weeks. #badfan

miffy6

Mar 7, 2009
Poor bloke looked absolutely shell-shocked when the 2nd went in. :lol:

7568879.png

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
How is a bit of perspective in how to treat Potter “unswavering support” for the club ? I enjoyed the spectacle of yesterday a lot. The panto fun. What a day. One of my best as a fan in 50 years.
But I’m not going to deconstruct post match interviews with the Chelsea manager seeking to find offence or forget the job Potter did over the last three years in the space of three weeks. #badfan
Have I deconstructed his post match interview? Not sure I have, it was quite a hard watch if I'm honest. He didn't take yesterday well at all, why would he. If he'd shown any humour, he'd have been slaughtered by Chelsea fans.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Your unwavering support? I am talking historically, not just yesterday and post ship jumping :rolleyes:

You are man who I never recall finding fault with anything, maybe I'm wrong

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Have I deconstructed his post match interview? Not sure I have, it was quite a hard watch if I'm honest.

Tbf you argued quite strongly that he’d have been far better off saying something else and at some other time - and I pointed out. That. Er, He had.
But fair enough Icy.
But no it was the OP who thought it was “nasty” . And 100 of other posts have had a stab at getting riled up about it for some reason.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Tbf you argued quite strongly that he’d have been far better off saying something else and at some other time - and I pointed out. That. Er, He had.
But fair enough Icy.
But no it was the OP who thought it was “nasty” . And 100 of other posts have had a stab at getting riled up about it for some reason.
Yesterday was balm enough for my wounds, I do need to move on. Gonna try :smile:

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I think you're probably right to say this but, in saying it, it does raise the question of what the 'intelligence' bit of EI is referring to. Do you understand emotions rationally, or emotionally, within EI? If not, what's the alternative approach?
I'm no expert, but I think that it's about understanding and acceptance of how others are feeling. You can't argue with feelings and rationalising that there are logical reasons why somebody shouldn't feel the way they do simply makes them feel that you are invalidating their emotions. I suppose the key is to understand the reasons for the feelings and to address those rather than to confront the reaction head on. That's what my wife has told me repeatedly that I'm incapable of anyway.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Fans react to what they see on the pitch. If the players show effort and enthusiasm in transcends to the crowd. Potter would have had matches at Brighton and everywhere else his team's would have helped generate a great atmosphere.

Returning Managers can never win with comments they make because their return is usually always gonna be met with mixed responses from fans. Especially if they have been reasonably successful as he was at Brighton

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Have I deconstructed his post match interview? Not sure I have, it was quite a hard watch if I'm honest. He didn't take yesterday well at all, why would he. If he'd shown any humour, he'd have been slaughtered by Chelsea fans.
Poor bloke looked absolutely shell-shocked when the 2nd went in. :lol:

7568879.png
I honestly think he thought it would all blow over. A bit of a shock initially but everyone at Brighton would surely understand the job he’d done and wish him well in the end.

Down time at Rockwater just like before and no change to life other than a longer drive to work and spending Wednesdays playing the likes of AC Milan instead of training the likes of Adam Webster.

Not really turned out like that, has it Graham, old son?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports