[Albion] Potter: nasty post match interview

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Potter has always been honest and reasonable in his press conferences and he was honest and reasonable again in his post match interviews. He is right that he did a very good job at Brighton. However, and this is surprising given his education in EI, he utterly misses the point. Nobody asked him about whether he did a good job. Nobody asked whether he had anything to apologise for. The questions were generally about whether he could understand the Brighton fans reaction. The questions were not about attainment or remorse, they were essentially asking 'Did you know that your leaving at the time, at the speed, and in the way you did hurt these people emotionally/'

He uncharacteristically avoided the question and deflected back to his performance as our manager. This suggests to me that he does know how much his departure hurt and that he didn't want to address it. To immediately go to 'I've nothing to apologise for' when he wasn't asked that shows that he has interpreted the question and answered the one being posed by his conscience, not by the journalists. He is rationalising, which doesn't work when you're dealing with feelings.

I'm surprised that a man who is always being touted as someone who can deal with the person not the player has constantly struggled to understand the emotional reactions of crowds. I think he suffers from a logical fallacy that seems extremely common in the insular world of football, believing that those not employed within the game are somehow lesser, that their opinions and feelings matter less. However many billionaires arrive, football belongs to the punter. Busby, Shankly, Stein, Ferguson, Clough all knew that. The great managers in British football have always been of the people, not in spite of them.
I think you're probably right to say this but, in saying it, it does raise the question of what the 'intelligence' bit of EI is referring to. Do you understand emotions rationally, or emotionally, within EI? If not, what's the alternative approach?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
We can say it was one game if it suits your narrative and we can say someone like Adam Webster didn't get a lot of shit for playing short-passing football etc.
We can also pretend that no-one here was bothered by boos and Potter-out-signs and shit, but in reality there was plenty of people who seemed more or equally annoyed by it as GP was... but obviously this is a time to rearrange history neatly so that all Brighton fans are superduper-supportive superfans and that GP is a coldhearted villain, but that certainly wasn't how me, you and plenty of others saw it at the time.

As for other PL clubs, yeah maybe. Who gives a shit? He probably thought you were special and unique and not like other PL clubs and wouldn't bo a draw after a decent performance. Hence his surprise.
I wondered how long before the cracks appeared, we all know you are a Potter fan go and support him at Chelsea instead of digging out Brighton fans on our own forum.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
For all this emotional intelligence bollocks he’s a f***ing clown that can’t keep his mouth shut. Interesting our players didn’t give him much acknowledgment at the end of the game,
The players, first team squad particularly, were apoplectic with rage when Potter went. And it was all about the timing - just six games in after all the conversations about continuing the ‘project’ together over the summer. They really wanted to stick it to him and Chelsea and it showed.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
He’s lost one game at Chelsea and has got them out of a spot in the champions league.
That’s not good enough , apparently.
Chelsea’s fans have no redeeming qualities at all.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
‘ a lot of money in the bank’ From the MOTD interview ,So why are we borrowing on future tv revenue ?
There's another thread on this but basically it boils down to :

1 - Borrow £17 million.
2 - Buy Cucurella.
3 - Sell Cucurella for £65 million.
4 - Pay back £17 million.
5 - Sit back and grin when counting the profit.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The ridiculous thing about the infamous Leeds booing was that out of a home section of 28,000, say 14,000 left at final whistle, just a few hundred booed. Then that might’ve been against the players, Potter or simply fed up with yet another fruitless 4 or 5 hour trip to the Amex.

Shirley a expert on cognitive thinking would rationalise that the overwhelming majority didn’t boo. Positive thinking.

But he idiotically made a big thing of it on the night and the next day.
Sure, he could have made a decision not to mention it, but he did. Just like a few hundred people could have decided to support the team instead of booing it. But it happened and he didn't like it and he said how he saw it... which is because he understands that the connection between the fans and the team matters. Someone like Jesse Marsch spends the entire press conferences arse licking the fans because he sees them as spectators consuming football, and the customer is always right. GP sees the fans as something more interactive, a part of the club basically, that could help or make it more difficult for the team. So when they've helped the team, he has always pointed it out, and when they haven't been all that helpful, he has mentioned that as well.

All depends on how you see it. He saw the fans as a group that could help the team while most of the eternal arselickers sees the fans as a group they have to please to stay in the job. I think he was surprised to see that the Brighton fans belong to the category that want the latter treatment, but hey you learn everyday.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
We can say it was one game if it suits your narrative and we can say someone like Adam Webster didn't get a lot of shit for playing short-passing football etc.
We can also pretend that no-one here was bothered by boos and Potter-out-signs and shit, but in reality there was plenty of people who seemed more or equally annoyed by it as GP was... but obviously this is a time to rearrange history neatly so that all Brighton fans are superduper-supportive superfans and that GP is a coldhearted villain, but that certainly wasn't how me, you and plenty of others saw it at the time.

As for other PL clubs, yeah maybe. Who gives a shit? He probably thought you were special and unique and not like other PL clubs and wouldn't bo a draw after a decent performance. Hence his surprise.
"Potter Out" signs?

Have you got any pictures of these? Because, at the point of his lowest attainment, results wise, fans weren't allowed in the ground.

Since the Man City 3-2 win he was fairly universally adored - well except for by a couple of hundred people at the end of a particularly frustrating afternoon against a shit, and injury ravaged, Leeds.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Sure, he could have made a decision not to mention it, but he did. Just like a few hundred people could have decided to support the team instead of booing it. But it happened and he didn't like it and he said how he saw it... which is because he understands that the connection between the fans and the team matters. Someone like Jesse Marsch spends the entire press conferences arse licking the fans because he sees them as spectators consuming football, and the customer is always right. GP sees the fans as something more interactive, a part of the club basically, that could help or make it more difficult for the team. So when they've helped the team, he has always pointed it out, and when they haven't been all that helpful, he has mentioned that as well.

All depends on how you see it. He saw the fans as a group that could help the team while most of the eternal arselickers sees the fans as a group they have to please to stay in the job. I think he was surprised to see that the Brighton fans belong to the category that want the latter treatment, but hey you learn everyday.
Odd that he chose to focus on us and not his own fans last night then. They barely made a f***ing peep.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Instead of taking the "nothing to apologise for" line maybe a better response would be to recognise that football is an emotional game, that feelings can still be raw, talk something about giving it time and after that time, in the cold light of day, hoping that things will be viewed differently.

But he decided on the stroppy, combative reply.

Lol.

Anyhow, he's history to us now. A nice line was drawn under him yesterday.

Last edited:

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012

All he was trying to do was to deflect comments on another performance where we could not score and beat a team who were well below us in the league

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Ok so his words didn't please anyone but how does that make him any different from you or me?

Why would he say the things you mentioned after getting booed? Why is he supposed to kneel down and say how much he respects you etc. when you don't respect him? It makes no sense.
Nothing to do with respect and all to do with playing the game tactically. He should have said it before the game and for nothing more than footballing reasons. He didn't predict the hostile atmosphere that he, De Zerbi and Dunk all said contributed significantly to our good start. Had he twigged that this was likely, Potter could have eaten a bit of humble pie in his press conference and taken some of the heat out of the atmosphere. This would have helped his team. Instead, he was honest, but a bit tone deaf. He currently lacks the Machevellian streak needed to turn press opportunities to his advantage. He'll need to learn if he's going to swim with the piranhas who manage the super rich clubs.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I don't think he will, no.

I think when he came to Brighton and understood the history of the club, he thought maybe that the struggles of the past would have made the Brighton fans more tolerant, like not booing their own team after a draw. Its not a strange thing to assume, people who have been through shit are quite often able to deal with the non-perfections in life in a sensible manner. Hence the "history lesson" comment. Obviously he was wrong, Brighton fans are as quick as anyone to turn against their own team when things go badly. I think he was surprised by that.

I don't see any world where he'd expect Chelsea fans to behave sensibly when they lose or draw a game.
What the f*** are you talking about Brighton fans stuck with him through many winless and goalless periods as well as many highs. He was well supported here up until the point he ran to chelsea with a bus load of our backroom team. I don’t expect you to get it as you are a bedroom laptop watching potter fan and not a Brighton one.

If you want to call out shit fans get on the shed end and protect your man after they booed his draw in the first game, left in their droves after 80min yesterday before all piling in online.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Hi Potter fanboy here (not a Brighton supporter)..Sure, he could have made a decision not to mention it, but he did. Just like a few hundred people could have decided to support the team instead of booing it. But it happened and he didn't like it and he said how he saw it... which is because he understands that the connection between the fans and the team matters. Someone like Jesse Marsch spends the entire press conferences arse licking the fans because he sees them as spectators consuming football, and the customer is always right. GP sees the fans as something more interactive, a part of the club basically, that could help or make it more difficult for the team. So when they've helped the team, he has always pointed it out, and when they haven't been all that helpful, he has mentioned that as well.

Fixed for you….and come on Swannie you r better than that

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The players, first team squad particularly, were apoplectic with rage when Potter went. And it was all about the timing - just six games in after all the conversations about continuing the ‘project’ together over the summer. They really wanted to stick it to him and Chelsea and it showed.
Good that someone was finally able to motivate them to do their best huh? :lol:
"Potter Out" signs?

Have you got any pictures of these? Because, at the point of his lowest attainment, results wise, fans weren't allowed in the ground.

Since the Man City 3-2 win he was fairly universally adored - well except for by a couple of hundred people at the end of a particularly frustrating afternoon against a shit, and injury ravaged, Leeds.
There was a thread. Not sure where to find it, think it was the game after the Leeds game.
All he was trying to do was to deflect comments on another performance where we could not score and beat a team who were well below us in the league
You could see it as that or you could see it as the fans deflecting the idea that they could have any positive impact on the team as it is a lot more comfortable and easy to play the role of the mistreated victim that didn't get the entertainment (=the win) they paid for.
What the f*** are you talking about Brighton fans stuck with him through many winless and goalless periods as well as many highs. He was well supported here up until the point he ran to chelsea with a bus load of our backroom team. I don’t expect you to get it as you are a bedroom laptop watching potter fan and not a Brighton one.

If you want to call out shit fans get on the shed end and protect your man after they booed his draw in the first game, left in their droves after 80min yesterday before all piling in online.
Like I said, clearly time to rearrange history here..

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
He should have said that he understood Brighton fans feeling angry and disappointed as soon as he left. As far as I’m aware he hasn’t..

Except he has . And This is all becoming a bit needy . Potter wrote a letter to the fans a few days after leaving saying exactly that.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Nothing to do with respect and all to do with playing the game tactically. He should have said it before the game and for nothing more than footballing reasons. He didn't predict the hostile atmosphere that he, De Zerbi and Dunk all said contributed significantly to our good start. Had he twigged that this was likely, Potter could have eaten a bit of humble pie in his press conference and taken some of the heat out of the atmosphere. This would have helped his team. Instead, he was honest, but a bit tone deaf. He currently lacks the Machevellian streak needed to turn press opportunities to his advantage. He'll need to learn if he's going to swim with the piranhas who manage the super rich clubs.
The audience he cares about now are the Chelsea fans and owner. Saying things to appease Brighton fans might make us dislike him less (although somehow I doubt it, nothing he can say is going to alter the situation) but it won't get him anywhere with them.
In the long run that matters far more from his perspective than the atmosphere at one game.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

If he was suprised about Brighton fans reactions he's going to be given a nervous breakdown by Chelsea fans after a few defeats.

You make it sound like most of the fanbase was against him all the time, which is rubbish. Every club has a section who don't like the current manager for whatever reason.

GP is the villain here in my mind, I think TB probably is the one who feels the most betrayed. Maybe he doesn't and he helped Potter out of the door. I still have serious doubts that so many contracts and compensation could be sorted so quickly without things already being in place.

We disappointed Potter you say, well f*** me, he disappointed me!!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
There was a thread. Not sure where to find it, think it was the game after the Leeds game.
But signS? Plural? All over the ground? Or one nutter?

I don't think Graham should be reading The Shed End if a single cardboard sign that only you seem to remember upset him.

One thing's for sure though, this weekend has shown your true colours and no doubt you were cheering on Chelsea from the safety of Sweden in the hope you could bounce a few threads and troll a few people on here in the aftermath.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports