Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Post transfer deadline day reflections

northernseagull

Mar 12, 2013
Very pleased with our business and how things are set up at the moment. Leicester have just announced that Ulloa could go out on loan, so that would be nice.
It's great being top of the league and winning away against the previous leaders.
If we beat Hull a week on Saturday, I think I will be pinching myself to see if this is all a dream.... but who knows.
So not counting any chickens and not getting carried away, but pretty confident that we will have a better season than last season.

I thought Chris HUGHTON (that's how you spell his name) was a good appointment from the outset. Unassuming, not full of cr@p, quietly, intelligently and thoughtfully going about his business, being honest when things go wrong (a bit like Mick McCarthy) and being an all round good bloke.

Not seeing anything on the net related to Ulloa and loan market... even their forum was oblivious to the very notion of an Ulloa loan.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Not seeing anything on the net related to Ulloa and loan market... even their forum was oblivious to the very notion of an Ulloa loan.

I saw something on Facebook - I will try and find it...... It may be spurious.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
I feel all the hype over the possible Calleri deal took attention away from Elvis rocking up which took the shine off a player who rejected what looked on paper better prospects with Premiership Watford and others. A good deal which I hope turns into another Houghton gem.

I'm in Holland at the moment, met a feyenoord fan last night who couldn't believe they had sold him, a big talent who works very hard, battles and is lightening fast. Faster than anyone he comes across or has seen.

The negative was that he is inconsistent, and might not yet have the mental strength. He can't always see the bigger picture and can get frustrated.

Sounds like Kaz.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Indeed and Barber is correct. Managing expectations. I love uncle tone but that was the most idiotic thing to say last year. A real Gerald Ratner moment. No wonder people were mightily pissed off as to how the season panned out after a statement like that.

At least this year its saying "no promises mind"

Isn't hindsight a wonderful thing? After the seasons prior, if he said anything less it would seem we were going backwards.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

Can't paste a link, but it was someone on the BHAFC Facebook page posting something from TransferRumours..... so I would not treat it as "nailed-on". Apologies for raising any hopes.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I actually think that the recruitment has been so good that Jamie Murphy, who I think is an excellent player, may not even be good enough to get a game every week when everyone is fit. Now that's good transfer business

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Ot will come down to how many injuries and suspensions linked with whether the new signings not yet in the team are excellent, good, OK or poor!

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Can't paste a link, but it was someone on the BHAFC Facebook page posting something from TransferRumours..... so I would not treat it as "nailed-on". Apologies for raising any hopes.

Here's what was said about Ulloa yesterday.
Leicester Mercury reported :
"Norwich,WBA and Crystal Palace were linked with moves for striker Leonardo Ulloa, but City say they did not receive any bids for the Argentinian"
via http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/T...sign-Swansea/story-27716757-detail/story.html

and The Argus reported:

[tweet]638730706617782272[/tweet]

not exactly a nailed on rumour...

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
and this is from the Leicester Mercury reporter

[tweet]638760801738866691[/tweet]

although a Sky reporter tweeted

[tweet]638756943981584384[/tweet]

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I thought Chris HUGHTON (that's how you spell his name) was a good appointment from the outset. Unassuming, not full of cr@p, quietly, intelligently and thoughtfully going about his business, being honest when things go wrong (a bit like Mick McCarthy) and being an all round good bloke.
Absolutely this, it's HUGHTON - and after this window and the start we're having to this season, any idiot that goes on mis-spelling his name because they think it's clever or funny, or because they insist on bleating that he's a dullard because some Norwich fans told them so should get thumbs down for their stupidity (I'm not normally a great fan of thumbs down, by the way, but there are times...............)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
As far as I've been able to work out this season, the improvement is entirely down to Lualua. (I missed the first haf of the Ipswich game though, just tuned in when we were 0-2 up.)

111nuts1.jpg

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
I can see Elvis being used more as a striker. Hughton himself has said that he is a different type who can get in behind defences.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
The problem with Crofts is that he's going to need games to get up to anything like his former self but because he's no longer a shoe-in he's not going to get games. Maybe he needs to go out on loan for a month to get his match fitness back and so the club can see where he's at in terms of what he can still bring to the team?

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
Still?

When have we been suspect in defence? Last season we had something like the 4th best defence in the division. If it wasn't for our defence, and I include Stockdale in that, then we would be in League One right now.

I'm not interested in having the 2nd, 3rd or 4th defence, I want the best!!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The window was a triumph in terms of taking a mediocre squad and making it competitive but topping the table raises expectations and I don't feel over 46 games that we have the firepower to get promoted.

Hemed has never been more prolific than 1 in 3, Baldock has 4 in 22 matches for us, Bobby's fitness is a concern while Lua Lua surely can't continue his early season run of form? Logic suggests we need a proven No. 9 - Vydra was too expensive, but something along those lines.

However, we might be able to get by IF Baldock starts scoring, Bobby stays fit and, crucially, this Manu chips in with 10-11 goals of his own. 27 goals in 75 games is an excellent return and the Daily Mail linked him with Watford, Sporting Lisbon and Bayer Leverkusen before he joined us so he'll be expecting to start.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here