Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Post Film Discussion Star Wars TLJ WARNING don’t view will contain spoilers

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Maybe because as always with the Liberal Hollywood dip shits these days they inject politics into something that never had it before and doesn't need it now.

Then there's the fact they shit all over many beloved Star Wars characters. Everyone I know who loves it doesn't know crap about the Star Wars Universe nor has any emotional attachment to the franchise.

Do you think you might take it all a bit too seriously ?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Some of you lot have got too much time on your hands.

On the plus side, It was a cracking opening battle, I thought the ending for Luke was well done (and he'll be back given he's the last man standing from the original), the Snoke ending was marvellous stuff and I liked the twists. I'm thinking Benicio del Toro stitching Finn and Rose up.

On the negative side, the supergirl bit was laughable, that milking scene (how many more references do we need to the jug at the start of Star wars), the overlong 'gambling is bad kids' section and BB8 gets on my tits in a scrappy doo way appreciating I'm a middle aged star wars geek and he's more there for my 6 year old son.

Overall though that's cracking entertainment for the price of a couple of beers.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Saw it today and was very disappointed. A pretty dull storyline with themes borrowed from previous films and little or no character development.

I was left wondering if Luke was someone else his character was so different to the originals. They killed off the only credible baddy and there was little or no development of the central characters who are supposed to carry this franchise going forward.

As you would expect with Star Wars there are some incredible battle scenes but they are just glossing over a confused and weak story.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Do you think you might take it all a bit too seriously ?
I was thinking that too. It's a film about ghosts, space ships, supernatural powers and a universe inhabited by strange creatures, humans and robots all with British accents.

Anyone looking for meaningful critiques of modern socio-economic issues is probably looking in the wrong place.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I think much of the audience in general are undecided/puzzled on their opinion of it (myself included).

Rotten Tomatoes
Rogue One: Critics 85% / Audience 87%
TFA: Critics 93% / Audience 88%
TLJ: Critics 93% / Audience 56%

Still early yet though, it'll be interesting to look at the ratings again in a couple of weeks.

TLJ: Critics 91% / Audience 51%

Napier

Jan 27, 2009
Devon
I went to see it today. Thoroughly enjoyed it and lost myself for two and a half hours - that for me is the point of going to the cinema, to be entertained and to forget about reality for a while!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
She absolutely is a Mary Sue. This video explains how she is without any doubt one.

think you need to move on from this subject. Rey starts out the same as Luke, though she has the plot advantage of living in shithole and looking after her self as an indentured servent, while he was a wet behind the ears farmer, who hadnt even ventured into the nearby starport. the dislike for Rey just comes across as misogyny.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
think you need to move on from this subject. Rey starts out the same as Luke, though she has the plot advantage of living in shithole and looking after her self as an indentured servent, while he was a wet behind the ears farmer, who hadnt even ventured into the nearby starport. the dislike for Rey just comes across as misogyny.

Remove being an orphan living on a sandy planet, doesn’t start out like Luke in the slightest. Luke had to train for everything he would later become. Rey just seems to be good at everything she does (piloting and fixing the Falcon, using a lightsaber with no training, using the force with no training etc.). It’s got nothing to do with men vs women, just poor writing and character development.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
What is this "Rouge One" some people keep going on about. Does it take place in a cafe ?

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
More people complaining about character development, again I ask, what character development is there in Empire Strikes Back that is any more than what's in TFA? It's just a tired cliche people have picked up from poor reviews on the internet by fanboys gutted their theories in the last 2 years were bollocks. Or those who like Rogue One which HAS to develop characters because nobody established is in it.

Stick to Sherlock if you want character development and complicated twists.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Remove being an orphan living on a sandy planet, doesn’t start out like Luke in the slightest. Luke had to train for everything he would later become. Rey just seems to be good at everything she does (piloting and fixing the Falcon, using a lightsaber with no training, using the force with no training etc.). It’s got nothing to do with men vs women, just poor writing and character development.

e parallels between Luke and Rey are evident from Rey’s first appearance. Just like Luke, Rey is a “nobody” from a backwater desert planet, largely forgotten by the rest of the galaxy. In fact, Rey only gets dragged into the battle between the Resistance and the First Order after a mission to find a missing Jedi goes awry and Rey saves a droid with information critical to the Resistance from scavengers in the desert. That sounds awfully familiar to how Luke first got involved with the Rebel Alliance and came into possession of R2-D2. Both also enlist the help of Han Solo, who begrudgingly gets them from their home planet to the Rebel/Resistance bases (although not without a few detours on the way). Even Rey's clothes evoke a similar aesthetic to Luke's initial outfit in A New Hope.

Luke and Rey also share a similar set of skills. Both Rey and Luke are natural pilots and mechanics, coming from years of fiddling with scraps of machinery and secondhand vehicles. Rey and Luke are also both Force-sensitive, although their gifts with the Force seem to manifest in different ways. While Rey uses several Jedi tricks and handles a lightsaber with skill on her first try, Luke uses his gifts with the Force to blow up the Death Star with his eyes closed.
http://comicbook.com/2015/12/23/charting-the-parallels-between-rey-and-luke-skywalker-in-star-wa/

also
http://katsudon.net/?p=4557

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
More people complaining about character development, again I ask, what character development is there in Empire Strikes Back that is any more than what's in TFA? It's just a tired cliche people have picked up from poor reviews on the internet by fanboys gutted their theories in the last 2 years were bollocks. Or those who like Rogue One which HAS to develop characters because nobody established is in it.k

Stick to Sherlock if you want character development and complicated twists.

No character development in Empire? ??? Really? So Luke didn’t learn from his over confidence at going to face Vader, which left him battered and disfigured? His failure at the hands of his own hubris was HUGE character development. It was development because he was ALLOWED to fail, something the Rey is seemingly unable to do.

And re the pissed off fan boys, maybe if TFA didn’t dangle all this potential people wouldn't have had all these theories that ranged from the pretty logical, given the hints in TFA, to the wild and crazy. You can’t moan about people being annoyed at the lack of the answers considering TFA was literally set up the way it was.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Good, but not great would be my verdict. Great opening, the dreadnaught battle was superb. But I'm not quite sure WHY so much was invested in seeking out Luke on that island. Once Rey got there, he did the square route of f-all to help train her in the ways of the Jedi, seemingly more interested in sucking blue milk from an alien cows tits. Whats the point of that ? Luke turned up at the end to provide a bit of a diversion and buy some time for the remaining rebels, but didn't actually bother engaging in a battle and simply submitted to Ren so he could come back later and haunt him, or something.

Luke pretty much went all Hughton on us: "Well we always knew it would be very, very difficult turning up at an abandoned rebel outpost on Crait and getting a result. After surviving an initial assault from the Imperial Walkers we were still very much in the game to be fair, but all credit to Kyro Ren, he always had that bit of extra quality, and thats what told in the end. Of course its always disappointing getting cut in half and then ultimately skewered without putting up so much as a hint of resistance, but I feel we gave a good account of ourselves overall, and we've learned a lot from the experience".

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Good, but not great would be my verdict. Great opening, the dreadnaught battle was superb. But I'm not quite sure WHY so much was invested in seeking out Luke on that island. Once Rey got there, he did the square route of f-all to help train her in the ways of the Jedi, seemingly more interested in sucking blue milk from an alien cows tits. Whats the point of that ? Luke turned up at the end to provide a bit of a diversion and buy some time for the remaining rebels, but didn't actually bother engaging in a battle and simply submitted to Ren so he could come back later and haunt him, or something.

Luke pretty much went all Hughton on us: "Well we always knew it would be very, very difficult turning up at an abandoned rebel outpost on Crait and getting a result. After surviving an initial assault from the Imperial Walkers we were still very much in the game to be fair, but all credit to Kyro Ren, he always had that bit of extra quality, and thats what told in the end. Of course its always disappointing getting cut in half and then ultimately skewered without putting up so much as a hint of resistance, but I feel we gave a good account of ourselves overall, and we've learned a lot from the experience".

Did you see Luke fist pump as the Rebels fled Crait?

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
No character development in Empire? ??? Really? So Luke didn’t learn from his over confidence at going to face Vader, which left him battered and disfigured? His failure at the hands of his own hubris was HUGE character development. It was development because he was ALLOWED to fail, something the Rey is seemingly unable to do.

And re the pissed off fan boys, maybe if TFA didn’t dangle all this potential people wouldn't have had all these theories that ranged from the pretty logical, given the hints in TFA, to the wild and crazy. You can’t moan about people being annoyed at the lack of the answers considering TFA was literally set up the way it was.
So that's, er, one scene. You could make the case of any of the current mob learning from their adventures.

But what you forget is there is a 3rd film to piece everything together. Bonkers that people would go "oh, we didn't get the answers we want so it's shit". Total toys out the pram, spit the dummy if we don't know after the next one but not 2/3s through.

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton

Only on NSC would you see Luke Skywalker compared with Chris Hughton. Sensational. Someone please do a montage of him in the sunset after our next defeat to one of the big 6.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country

The difference is Rey does it with no training whatsoever. Luke only uses the force after some, and I use the term loosely, training with Obi Wan Kenobi. Even though it’s minimal, Obi-Wan still teaches him about the force and how it can be used meaning the only bit of the force Luke even touches during a New Hope is to give the torpedoes a nudge. Rey uses a Jedi mind trick, pulls a lightsaber towards her (something Luke didn’t manage until Empire which is set 3 years after a New Hope) and uses the force to beat a well trained Kylo Ren without a scratch. HUGE difference between the two.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Rohan didn't say there was no character development, they said "what character development is there in Empire Strikes Back that is any more than what's in TFA?" the character development you describe in Luke isn't that different to Poe Dameran's development. His overconfidence led to the decimation of the rebellion. From a fleet of people, down to enough to fit on the Falcon, and he learned by the end of the film to not rush in, that not everything is about getting in his cockpit and blowing stuff up. He grows into a proper leader by the end of the film.

Rey went to Kylo Ren to save him. How did that work out for her? She failed. Instead, her presence resulted in him being set free from Snoke and established him as a the new supreme leader who went on to attack the rebellion leading to the death of Luke Skywalker (who got involved as a result of Rey coming into his life in a naive belief he would solve everything). To say she isn't allowed to, or that she didn't fail is to completely ignore what actually happened in the film.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here