Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Post Film Discussion Star Wars TLJ WARNING don’t view will contain spoilers

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
Because Rey wasn't even a thing when EPs 1-3 were created.

So? Yoda wasn't a thing when Star Wars was created. Nowhere in Eps I-III is it 100% confirmed that Anakin is the chosen one. Obi-Wan even questions this before getting a little heavy-handed with his lightsabre at the end.

I agree about Admiral Akbar. That was really poor and could have been so easily resolved.

Regarding your final point, who says that Star Wars films have to be about light and dark side, Jedis, lightsabres etc? There's a whole universe of stories and characters out there that could be explored. As I said earlier, the story for the original trilogy was perfect and it should have ended there. Lucas's biggest mistake was rebranding Star Wars as Episode IV in 1981.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
So? Yoda wasn't a thing when Star Wars was created. Nowhere in Eps I-III is it 100% confirmed that Anakin is the chosen one. Obi-Wan even questions this before getting a little heavy-handed with his lightsabre at the end.

I agree about Admiral Akbar. That was really poor and could have been so easily resolved.

Which sums up so much of the poor story telling this incarnation is guilty of.

They were referring to Luke imo.

Regarding your final point, who says that Star Wars films have to be about light and dark side, Jedis, lightsabres etc? There's a whole universe of stories and characters out there that could be explored. As I said earlier, the story for the original trilogy was perfect and it should have ended there. Lucas's biggest mistake was rebranding Star Wars as Episode IV in 1981.

Because that's what the whole bloody Star Wars universe is about!

Go watch Star Trek if you wan't a world of ever changing plots and stories based around nothing but different parts of space.

Star Wars is all about the Force and Jedis.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
They weren't talking about Rey. That was setting it up for the original Star Wars arc. Not this new trilogy.

The talk of anakin being the one to bring balance to the force is never confirmed to be him directly or his offspring, or even their offspring. It could just be that anakin sets things in motion.
I'm not even convinced that Rey is her real name. The helmet she wears at the beginning of TFA belonged to Dosmit Raeh (Raeh is written on the side of it) a rebel pilot. Who's to say she didn't adopt the name as time went on?
All I know is she isn't the daughter of Iden Versio, after playing the campaign on battlefront 2.

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
Which sums up so much of the poor story telling this incarnation is guilty of.

They were referring to Luke imo.

Because that's what the whole bloody Star Wars universe is about!

Go watch Star Trek if you wan't a world of ever changing plots and stories based around nothing but different parts of space.

Star Wars is all about the Force and Jedis.

Ok.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I haven't seen it yet but bravely read through the first page of posts. Obviously many people disappointed about characters not following the route they had anticipated but with an ever aging cast from a new hope Star Wars has either got to take on a new focus of main roles or use increasingly bizarre cgi to help shoehorn a story together. Disney would always look to make several stories so I always expected a new generation of characters and the older cast dying off or betraying one another

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I haven't seen it yet but bravely read through the first page of posts. Obviously many people disappointed about characters not following the route they had anticipated but with an ever aging cast from a new hope Star Wars has either got to take on a new focus of main roles or use increasingly bizarre cgi to help shoehorn a story together. Disney would always look to make several stories so I always expected a new generation of characters and the older cast dying off or betraying one another

It’s not so much bringing the new characters to the forefront of the story it’s the fact that it has been done so at the expense of the characters people have loved since 1977, and probably the reason half the audience went to see this film. Chewie, RD and 3PO barely feature and what they’ve done with Luke character is an insult to the fans who’ve stuck by the franchise IMO. At least the Force Awakens made Han and Chewie essential to the story. In TLJ they’re merely bystanders.

The story telling was awful (seriously what was the point of spending the previous film looking for Luke?) , the pacing non existent and there were so many continuity errors it was almost laughable. JJ gave Rian Johnson a fantastic story telling opportunity on a plate and he f*cked it up. Worst Star Wars film since Phantom Menace.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Problem is because it's owned by Disney they are going to milk every penny out of it. That means more and more films. Like having 300 channels, content has to be found. 90% of that content will be dross. But fans will go and see it and spend their money so they'll keep making them.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

They could be referring to anyone of the "new hopes". One day they'll get it right!

As it stands I've.not seen this new one, and I'm not.bothered about spoilers obviously. For the first time I've not been that keen to see this one, just don't see what they can do with it. TFA was a remake of New Hope essentially so they are clearly grasping for ideas. R1 was good though.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Saw it last night and really enjoyed it. I don't really care about all the little sub plots. It's just a space film with lots of action, what's not to like?

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
Because Rey wasn't even a thing when EPs 1-3 were created.

I hope JJ brings it back together because Johnson just made a hodge podge of rubbish.

Admiral Akhbar, an iconic and much loved character is simply killed off by them pretty much going with the "oh yeah, Ackbar died" line.

New as in crappy weak dark side characters?
Maybe they need to get the audience used to people dying off screen....

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Er, no. AotC is the worst film I have ever seen at the cinema and I've had the misfortune to sit through Nativity 3: Dude Where's My Donkey!

I've seen it at least 8 times, thanks to the kids. ****ing PAINFUL.

Nativity 3, that is.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I watched it for the second time last night.

Enjoyed it much more.

Still not too happy with a couple of things that should have been done much better.
But I generally enjoyed it.

Favourite part was the slow walk into battle for Luke, with the intense music. Loved it.

One question. The horse jockey/kid at the final scene, was he force sensitive? Did he 'summon' that broomstick?

The aloof gatekeeper

Oct 11, 2011
They weren't talking about Rey. That was setting it up for the original Star Wars arc. Not this new trilogy.

Yeah, not at the time, obviously. But like it or not it's being ret-conned that way. One of the first things mentioned in The Force Awakens is balance in the Force. The Last Jedi is all about balance. Seems to me that both Rey and Kylo will achieve it.

Personally I'm pleased that the themes of I - III are being revisited as the Saga draws to a close.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
2nd part of my question.

If he can summon objects with such ease, how come he didn’t Jedi his way out of the stables he was stuck in?

You’d think so. I’ll add that to the list of plot holes. Not quite dropping bombs in space but...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here