Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Possible return of fans to the Amex (incorporating the Q and A forum on 17th August)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Right, that's it, I'm doing my flounce now - I have heard enough shit from stupid people, but comparing hot weather to a Pandemic is just beyond stupid... The lot of you can just **** off, enjoy your football and goodbye

He was talking about the overcrowding on trains when Londoners came down here for the beach.

The bottom line is that now with masks compulsory there are people who will be prepared to go on the train and from Bozza's post it looks like we might be able to get 7,500 fairly silent fans in (sort of like a cross between Reading and Arsenal) . It's not my cup of tea and I won't be partaking but we shouldn't be harsh on anyone who's up for it when the club needs the revenue.

If you're worried about the virus or don't want to go to a socially distanced ground and not shout / sing then don't go. Otherwise do. Simple.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The transport for me is the big issue. I can't be arsed to pick the bones out of whatever disagreement seems to have already happened around this, but train over-crowding is the obvious issue and, as I wrote when we were discussing this months back, it feels somewhat perverse that our reliance on public transport options could very well be a burden in Covid-world.

There are three mitigations however...

- Reduced capacity. At 25%, that's quite a reduction in demand on the trains.

- Parking. There must be pretty decent capacity across the University car parks, The Bridge and Bennett's Field that could absorb a fair few thousand people. Depending on how ticket allocations work, you could almost make a case for car park priority going to families/bubbles of 3/4+ people so that car parking is optimally utilised in terms of number of fans that use this transport option, reducing the demand on trains and buses.

- Phased arrivals - the least attractive mitigation. Who wants to turn up, say, 2 hours before the game? Beyond that, phased departures are difficult to implement, particularly if there is limited/no concourse options.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The transport for me is the big issue. I can't be arsed to pick the bones out of whatever disagreement seems to have already happened around this, but train over-crowding is the obvious issue and, as I wrote when we were discussing this months back, it feels somewhat perverse that our reliance on public transport options could very well be a burden in Covid-world.

- Parking. There must be pretty decent capacity across the University car parks, The Bridge and Bennett's Field that could absorb a fair few thousand people. Depending on how ticket allocations work, you could almost make a case for car park priority going to families/bubbles of 3/4+ people so that car parking is optimally utilised in terms of number of fans that use this transport option, reducing the demand on trains and buses.
- Phased arrivals - the least attractive mitigation. Who wants to turn up, say, 2 hours before the game? Beyond that, phased departures are difficult to implement, particularly if there is limited/no concourse options.

Mass transport and concourses/1901 Club lounge pinch-points, are the key areas imho. If literally everyone properly wears a mask all the time, no problem. But idiots and the arrogant disobeying where they can’t be properly challenged, brings it crashing down.

Italy has this evening identified mass gatherings eg in and around dance venues and bars as the cause of a rise in cases. Closing all venues, with mask wearing now compulsory anywhere in the streets near night spots. Catalonia identified nightclubs at the cause of their very significant second wave.

Will park n ride be viable for 25% crowds?

I think you’re right that cars and all the uni parking will be the way forward initially.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Is there parking capacity not previously used on match day ? I haven’t been to the Uni for many years (since we took the kids to an open training day prior to the centenary celebrations) but remember there being a lot of parking. Like a lot of others, I would be nervous about resuming our usual train routine (Lewes to Falmer).

Last edited:

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
If trains were seen as a problem- maybe they could restrict travel to car / cycling / walking only. With 25% capacity I guess enough people could come by those routes to take all the tickets.

The number of cars coming are limited by the amount of parking available, so I guess that would be maxed out plus more walkers and cyclists. Might need more cycle stands at the stadium.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
If trains were seen as a problem- maybe they could restrict travel to car / cycling / walking only. With 25% capacity I guess enough people could come by those routes to take all the tickets.

The number of cars coming are limited by the amount of parking available, so I guess that would be maxed out plus more walkers and cyclists. Might need more cycle stands at the stadium.
They might even shut Falmer station before and after the game ? ???

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

In the big scheme of things we'd need as much parking as possible. I do wonder whether (*looks nervously round at Coldean and Moulscoomb residents*) at 25% capcacity we'd look to remove the street parking restrictions. The train is one of two methods of transport where overcrowding is possible and the other is park and ride. Those buses are filled to the very maximum.

For a crowd of 7,500, to maintain social distancing, you'd have to run the same number of P&R buses as before but fill them only 25% as much. You'd also have to socially distance the queue for them afterwards. I imagine the cost versus the revenue would make the Albion a loss here?

Also, no one seems to be talking about the risks associated with the "other 75%". In winter, frankly, you are not going to go into someone's garden to watch a game on Sky. If all the fans in the ground are STHs that leaves 14k other STHs not going plus the game by game people and casual TV fans. The temptation for pubs to put games on, maybe legally, maybe not, or for people to stream games and have people round and inside their houses is going to be immense, and will increase the longer the season goes on, particularly if we're doing well. And that's one club. Imagine that situation in London, Manchester or Liverpool.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
If the club utilised all the stands then I think a decent socially distanced crowd would be possible. A crowd 8-10,000 split between 5 stands and concourses would be pretty sparse. I would anticipate that the majority of fans would arrive by car, reversing the current trend. Some by train and others may walk and cycle if they can. I am fortunate enough to live in the centre so walking would definitely be an option for me that would free up space on public transport for those that do need it.

As for the allocation of tickets, there is no way that will satisfy all. One reasonable option I read about in the NFL was the Baltimore Ravens carrying 2020 season tickets over to 2021 and then just selling 12,000 tickets on a game by game basis for this season (in a stadium of around 70,000).

What ever the solution it is a tricky one and I welcome the club's attempt to involve fans in the discussion with this fans forum.

If they can work something out, and the prevailing Covid circumstances allow, I would be interested in attending if possible.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Any form of public transport will be an issue to some and social distancing will be impossible on it, trains will not be every 10 minutes from Brighton however everyone has a choice and I suspect as soon as this can happen the first thing you would need to do is register.

Massive logistic problem given some family people can sit together as well.

mrjon1976

Found bliss in ignorance
Jul 25, 2011
gravesend
Lots of interesting points raised here, most of them valid. Whatever protocols the club will put in place I guess will be required by Government and the PL, leaving very little wriggle room for the club to add it's own ideas.

With 20000+ season ticket holders, you effectively have 20000+ individual circumstances - I live 100 miles away and go to games with my dad. He is 75 so almost certainly will not be attending even if he would be allowed to (which he won't). I work for the NHS and would, with the right safety protocols, consider attending games next season. Personally, a ban on alcohol sales would make a lot of sense to me - whilst I don't drink a lot, if people cannot go 90 odd minutes without a beer then maybe this is the wrong sport for them. What next - designated smoking section? As for staggered arrival times - some sporting events have implemented this already. I have an American friend who attended a recent NASCAR event and they were given a 25 minute window to attend (there was also a general window after all of the slots in case you missed entry) and that seemed to work well. I drive down and either use the P&R or park on the Lewes Road and walk up - I'm sure that there would be enough parking capacity for those who would require it.

I have to say I haven't sen many clubs engage with their support in the way that Brighton do. I am looking forward to seeing where we are at with returning to games (although it is all dependent on the Government green lighting this....)

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
They might even shut Falmer station before and after the game ? ???

I think this as well.

No trains stopping at Falmer between, say 12 and 7pm for a 3pm kick off.
No buses stopping anywhere near ground either.
No park and ride facilities.

All the attendees will have to walk, cycle or drive. Most who drive will have to walk a fair way. Elderly or disabled (many elderly will of course choose not to attend) will have to get first priority on Bennetts field or Bridge parking.

I think matchday parking restrictions in Coldean and Moulsecoomb should be scrapped given the circumstances.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Trains the main issue but if all wearing masks then not really a problem for a 5 / 10 min journey to Falmer. Less than the daily tueb commutes which have been busy without causing any issues. On the scale of things , a few thousand people every couple of weeks isnt a massive deal so I think that can be over come fairly easily.

Biggest issue for me is no singing in that picture that got posted. Thats I presume due to droplets in the air being projected further but if wearing a mask then sorts that out surely.

Not sure how you can stay silent at football . That kills it alot , take out the beer as well and its not really football as I like it.

See no reason why they cant sort something out to start getting crowds back though.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
All sounds about as much fun as being smeared in cow pheramones and left in a field with a horny bull.

I'll be in the pub with my family and bubble mates if anyone wants me.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Is there parking capacity not previously used on match day ? I haven’t been to the Uni for many years (since we took the kids to an open training day prior to the centenary celebrations) but remember there being a lot of parking.

There is definitely room on Sussex and Brighton campuses for a few hundred more cars. Given Unis are going to be losing a lot of money due to overseas students not coming this year I'm sure they'd be happy to earn some extra cash. Make it that to use the car park you must be car sharing and that would help. Other consideration could be parking in Stanmer Park on the grass by the entrance. Gets used for festivals every year and events so there is a precedent of being used and it's just grass so not much to get damaged.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Going with 25-30% capacity is an enormous reduction. With all car parks and a P&R in use, plus staggered arrival and departure times, I don't the trains will be at all mobbed (assume SASTA run a 'normal' number).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here