Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

POSSIBLE National Rail strike coming up

kc1

Nov 11, 2011
It really is time for technology to step in on the railways. Run the trains and underground using computers - no need for expensive drivers, and then use the savings for investing in the infrastructure.

London Underground are in the early stages of a £600m project to have auto trains on their network.
It's called ATC (Automatic Train Control)

janee

Fur half
Oct 19, 2008
Lentil land
It really is time for technology to step in on the railways. Run the trains and underground using computers - no need for expensive drivers, and then use the savings for investing in the infrastructure.

And then you and the other smug right wingers on here can call them scrounges and make them starve by cutting benefits.

Seriously though, we do need a plan as a country for jobs lost to technology

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Well,said Len McClusky,if the Tories win the General Election I will cause mayhem by whipping up mass strikes...(Said two weeks before the GE) .the revenge of the Luddite...politics of envy and hate again...Who suffers...everybody...rail commuters,the country by making freight go by road,clogging up the roads and motorways,cost of transport goes up...prices go up. The working man loses out because of being unable to get to work...Wake up McClusky...you are hurting Tory,Labour voters and poor families,not that you care with the money you get from the working man.
You halt the countries export,standard of living goes down...not many get a £500 bonus plus rises linked to inflation,McClusky,you are a dinosuar from the 70s,about time you and your ilk were put out to pasture and let the unions get a man who can debate issues without threats.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Well,said Len McClusky,if the Tories win the General Election I will cause mayhem by whipping up mass strikes...(Said two weeks before the GE) .the revenge of the Luddite...politics of envy and hate again...Who suffers...everybody...rail commuters,the country by making freight go by road,clogging up the roads and motorways,cost of transport goes up...prices go up. The working man loses out because of being unable to get to work...Wake up McClusky...you are hurting Tory,Labour voters and poor families,not that you care with the money you get from the working man.
You halt the countries export,standard of living goes down...not many get a £500 bonus plus rises linked to inflation,McClusky,you are a dinosuar from the 70s,about time you and your ilk were put out to pasture and let the unions get a man who can debate issues without threats.

I'll tell you something for nothing, even though I don't work I'm going out on STRIKE

ALL OUT BROTHERS

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Network Rail workers are to stage a 24-hour strike from 5pm on bank holiday Monday in a row over pay.

The UK-wide action will see signallers, maintenance staff and station workers, walk out from 25 May on the busy holiday weekend.

It follows a decisive vote for action from RMT union members and will be the first UK-wide rail strike in 20 years.

What had McCluskey got to do with the RMT?

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Train companies have started to release travel plans for Monday and Tuesday. Its pretty much a normal service up until early afternoon on Monday, then nothing from Monday evening until Tuesday morning where a limited service would run - that is what most companies are doing on routes where they can. Virgin West Coast have had to suspend everything on Monday and Tuesday as there are next to none Network Rail staff available to provide signalling.

National Express and Megabus will be running additional coaches and widespread ticket acceptance on local transport (buses, tube etc) will be put in place. Do not expect much to run from Southern or Thameslink and avoid any sort of travel on Monday or Tuesday. Anything that runs will probably be the maximum amount of coaches, but would still be extremely busy.

For once, you cant actually blame the train companies, Network Rail are dictating everything to them by pretty much saying "This is whats available, make do or **** off".

EDIT - Southern plan announced - ALL service on Tuesday SUSPENDED due to a lack of Network Rail staff available. On Monday, trains will only run between Brighton and Victoria via Gatwick - ALL other routes will have NO service.

Normal service to run on Wednesday, but morning services will be disrupted.

Last edited:

Stumpy Tim

EDIT - Southern plan announced - ALL service on Tuesday SUSPENDED due to a lack of Network Rail staff available. On Monday, trains will only run between Brighton and Victoria via Gatwick - ALL other routes will have NO service.

Normal service to run on Wednesday, but morning services will be disrupted.

Sounds like normal service on Tuesday too then

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Nice. I wfh every Thurs and Fri anyway, so with no trains on Tuesday that now means for the next 11 days I only have to go to London once :thumbsup:

cardboard

Jul 8, 2003
Mile Oak
Brighton Argus‏@brightonargus·14 mins14 minutes ago
BREAKING The TSSA rail union has suspended its planned Bank Holiday strike after receiving a new pay offer from Network Rail, it has said.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
What about the other strike action planned on the railway for the same day ?

RMT and TSSA call off strike action after improved offer from network rail.
c2222577354da69c5936d6fa987698e5.jpg

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
It will be the first of many as Southern staff are balloting too, it won't be the winter of discontent it will be 5 years of discontent at this rate

Aren't there any Polish train drivers out there?? If I was in charge of Southern, I would be out there recruiting right now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here