Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Portuguese Brickies On 1K A Week!

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
I work in IT and we have 2 Portuguese guys with Cisco CCIE qualifications and are on £130 a day where other UK contractors are on £350 to £600! Am sure once their English is better they will be asking for more. They moved their families over and said jobs are hard to come by over there!
. my point being its not just brickies

that's fair enough if they can do exactly the same job as you

as melia's shoes said,any complexed work and they're ****ed

the endeavour is there,but the skills aren't

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
I'm still plumbing, but I had my own small business since 2002 and most of my work is in occupied houses.
Don't miss site work at all, especially this time of the year.

Again you're not wrong bloody freezing this morning.:facepalm:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Again you're not wrong bloody freezing this morning.

When I look out my window I can see a housing development I worked on in the mid 90s, it always reminds me of fitting guttering when it was snowing.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned on this thread is the cost if travel to sites. When I did site work we would sometimes get sent to a site miles away, this would be for a short period of time if a site was running behind.
Didn't get paid any extra money or any travel costs as I was a sub contractor.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
you ever worked even ONE day on a building site ,let alone 30 years

you wouldn't know a hard days work if it came up and smacked you in the face

cleaners,bar staff,don't make me ****ing laugh,just an excuse to expoilt people,like immigrants!!!

office snobs,you can't beat 'em can you like modern day politicans,totally detached from the outside world
Well said sir

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
When I look out my window I can see a housing development I worked on in the mid 90s, it always reminds me of fitting guttering when it was snowing.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned on this thread is the cost if travel to sites. When I did site work we would sometimes get sent to a site miles away, this would be for a short period of time if a site was running behind.
Didn't get paid any extra money or any travel costs as I was a sub contractor.

get up at 5.30 drive for an hour,pisses down all morning sent home,haven't earned a copper coin,but paid for petrol

welcome to the world of bricklaying

Dandyman

In London village.
You haven't got a clue about subbies and how the building industry works have you ? You can't have or you wouldn't be posting the links you did, you're typical of the sort of left winger who claims 'solidarity with the working class ' but has absolutely no idea of their hopes or aspirations beyond what you've read in some union pamphlet.

Other than the 100 or so building workers that I have HR responsibility for you mean ?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
you ever worked even ONE day on a building site ,let alone 30 years

you wouldn't know a hard days work if it came up and smacked you in the face

cleaners,bar staff,don't make me ****ing laugh,just an excuse to expoilt people,like immigrants!!!

office snobs,you can't beat 'em can you like modern day politicans,totally detached from the outside world

Interesting response based on zero knowledge. My dad was a builder most of his life....I did quite a bit with him, and with other firms but I wasn't much cop. I did Ok when I worked in a slaughterhouse killing and packing chickens. I was a decent cowhand and could milk a herd of cows. Not sure what relevance this has to there being insufficient willing labour in the UK market.

Please explain how I am 'exploiting' anyone ?

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Interesting response based on zero knowledge. My dad was a builder most of his life....I did quite a bit with him, and with other firms but I wasn't much cop. I did Ok when I worked in a slaughterhouse killing and packing chickens. I was a decent cowhand and could milk a herd of cows. Not sure what relevance this has to there being insufficient willing labour in the UK market.

Please explain how I am 'exploiting' anyone ?

your reference to London (cleaners,bar staff...)

so what is your profession?

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
It doesn't matter what it is.....go back to your first couple of lines of personal attack.

well it might,if you want to discuss what goes on,on building sites today

personal attack? get over yourself,it was a tirade at city workers in general not you personally

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Other than the 100 or so building workers that I have HR responsibility for you mean ?

You prove my point perfectly you ****ing clown, how many subbies have people responsible for them in HR ?? I'll tell you, none, and Subbies will be the only brickies on a grand a week , like I said you havent got a clue how the BUILDING industry works .

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I don't.....did enough to know that I'd never be any good at it so looked elsewhere. It was personal though......but I'll get over myself.....

Dandyman

In London village.
You prove my point perfectly you ****ing clown, how many subbies have people responsible for them in HR ?? I'll tell you, none, and Subbies will be the only brickies on a grand a week , like I said you have got a clue how the BUILDING industry works .

Bless. The same old Bushy combination of boundless arrogance and endless ignorance. Still keeps us all amused.

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
I'm 25, can I become a brickie? Or is it a trade you need to start when you're 16-18? I'm usefull with my hands, am a hard worker, willing to put the shifts in (can someone please point me in the right direction?). I'm happy to work 12 hrs+, 6 days a week, or is it a trade you need "qualifications"?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
You prove my point perfectly you ****ing clown, how many subbies have people responsible for them in HR ?? I'll tell you, none, and Subbies will be the only brickies on a grand a week , like I said you have got a clue how the BUILDING industry works .

What is HR?

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Bless. The same old Bushy combination of boundless arrogance and endless ignorance. Still keeps us all amused.

Basically you've realised you're on shaky ground and dont know what youre talking about so you come back with a pretty meaningless reply which says nothing and answers nothing of what I said.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Its the new name for the personnel department that tosspots like dandyman came up with, it stands for human resources.

Thanks, I have been self employed for years and worked for small companies before that, not something I've ever heard of.

Sounds a very odd name , would I be wrong in saying it came from America?

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Thanks, I have been self employed for years and worked for small companies before that, not something I've ever heard of.

Sounds a very odd name , would I be wrong in saying it came from America?
it probably did mate , but has been enthusiastically adopted by people who work in personnel departments to make them sound a little bit more important than they really are.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here