Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Poppadoms in an Indian restaurant / curry house

How do you eat your poppadoms?

• Stick them in the middle of the table, crush the entire stack and allow a free for all

Votes: 69 43.4%
  • Divide the quantity equally between the participants and let them get on with things on their own

Votes: 90 56.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
I've noticed a bit of a trend to just the sweeter condiments with poppadoms – especially very sugary mango chutney. I wonder if people are just not eating the spicier ones and so they no longer bother even bringing them to the table? I like a good lime pickle or anything else with a bit of a kick but in some restaurants I'm definitely seeing less of it.
For me, there is nothing better than "discovering" a new condiment or a variation of something in an establishment.

I do wonder how much of the condiment selection gets "recycled" for future use - not for too long though...

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Yes but the great majority of so called Indian restaurants are Bangladeshi owned and serve Bengali cuisine.
TBF India is a massive country with loads of different cultures and food in different regions. India, Pakistan and Bangladesh are all countries created post WW2 out of this cultural melting pot (apologies, I couldn’t think of any alternative to this cliche). I used to live in Singapore where you could eat vastly different meals in Little India whilst all were referred to generically as Indian. There is no one ‘Indian’ cuisine. I worked with someone from India who ate ‘Indian’ food but never curry. Basically all are Indian but they are not all the same.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
TBF India is a massive country with loads of different cultures and food in different regions. India, Pakistan and Bangladesh are all countries created post WW2 out of this cultural melting pot (apologies, I couldn’t think of any alternative to this cliche). I used to live in Singapore where you could eat vastly different meals in Little India whilst all were referred to generically as Indian. There is no one ‘Indian’ cuisine. I worked with someone from India who ate ‘Indian’ food but never curry. Basically all are Indian but they are not all the same.
Plus some "Indian" dishes are fabricated e.g. Balti and Tikka Massala.

Curries were created to make inedible food edible AIUI

HHGull

BZ fan club
Dec 29, 2011

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here