Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Pop-up ads at bottom of page

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
I’m typing this on my iPhone 12 Pro and when I started typing the ad disappeared. Ooh … it’s just popped up but only a little bit.

It’s nowhere near as bad as the newspaper ads - free or otherwise. If it helps fund the site then I don’t have an issue with it as it stands at the moment.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I don’t like it. It’s really annoying.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Won't Somebody think of the site owner it's very possible they may need a bigger desk
Money Balling GIF by IFHT Films

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
It’s annoying as appears exactly on the reply line (phone) so have had to delete it a second time before typing this.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
What annoys me is that it's impossible to press the X without opening the ad :mad:

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
It's really horrible on a mobile screen.

However, the lottery ad did prompt me to buy a ticket for tomorrow so if I win then I can't really complain.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It also shows up on an IPad but clicking on the X clears it, until you change the page.

Talking of pages, are we going to given the choice of 40 posts soon?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Doesn't bother me that much. If Bozza needs to pay the bills and the mods are striking for more cash then we gotta do what we gotta do

Skilz to pay the Bilz

The Brighton Ace

Nov 14, 2008
Sussex by the sea
NSC reminds me of a website from 20 years with the volume of ads - appreciate the appetite to generate more and more revenue but feels the extra £ has come at the cost of use experience. It is almost unusable as a guest with adds making navigation difficult.

That said, the content remains great and I’ll still be an avid user until a better alternative comes along.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
I'm surprised the dissent took this long - I turned it on around 3:30!

It's just an experiment which I knew would be unpopular.

Ads now pay primarily on viewability so the regular banners deployed on the site are relatively poor payers are they aren't on screen often/for very long - c57%. In contrast the sticky bottom banner, which has been used for non-logged in users for a while, gets seen 88% of the time.

I thought it would be less intrusive on mobile, rather than desktop, but I wonder if the opposite is true.

That style of ad is used on a lot of sites, but maybe it's the way it appears, instead of being there when the page renders, which makes it more jarring.
I beg of you set up some Patreon tiers. This is, frankly, irritating. Is there supposed to be an actual advert? The ad itself is totally invisible if so, there is just a wavy line, and that’s annoying enough.

Mobile is where screen real-estate is at a premium, so if it has to be displayed I’d say desktop was the lesser of two evils, but I view on mobile so would say that. I think you’re right that if it was static it would be less annoying.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here