Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Poor support when we needed it most

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Not a great performance today but I get fed up with the so called supporters who continually criticise our players and never say anything positive. We got rid of one of them a few weeks ago but he’s given his season ticket to his son who came for the first time today and is clearly a chip off the old block. According to him Murray is sh1t and should not only have been substituted today but drummed out of the club. Why do these people bother to come? I’m sure they’d be happier sitting with the away fans.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
And? ??? You have just told me stuff I already know about The Goldstone, apart from the terraced part being family.
I've read that 4 times and I'm sort of missing your point.

Let me put this another way, I've been to many football grounds in my lifetime, I can't say Ive noticed many main stands that sing that much.

The point was that the Goldstone west was being likened to the Amex west and they are nowhere near the same. Anything too complicated in that for you?

PoG

Oct 29, 2013
I was too busy biting my nails to try and attempt to sign along with one of the many mumbles I could hear.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Lot of players before the game went on record asking for loud support. It helps by all accounts. Leicester and Huddersfield seem to have achieved this organically at home.

Wouldn’t it be great if we could improve our home record even more, just by most of the ground singing positive songs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You only need look around this forum for reasons why we can't get a decent atmosphere going. Just yesterday someone started a thread about one of our songs and at least a couple of posters chimed in implying they don't join in because they don't like it which is a common way of thinking I've found. You're never more than a few yards away from a song policeman wherever you are stood/sat. I've always joined in regardless of whether I like or dislike the words/song. :shrug:

Half of the NS are people who want to be part of an atmosphere but don't want to contribute towards making one. For every one person who is sat in the West/East who wants to contribute, there are 20 people surrounding them who do not. Nothing can carry.

It feels very much like the stars need to align to make the Amex sound like what a match day should. Yes it has happened and is possible, but it is far too rare. It's not a problem exclusive to us though, It's happening everywhere - primarily because fans more likely to be noisy have been priced out. Clubs that have tried their best to combat it usually do so by artificial means such as singing sections (which I'm not averse to) clackers, drums, even playing crowd noise through the loud speakers.

We should have been up for today irrespective of what was happening on the pitch, instead it was painfully silent at times and putting that entirely on the players performances is a cop-out.

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
You only need look around this forum for reasons why we can't get a decent atmosphere going. Just yesterday someone started a thread about one of our songs and at least a couple of posters chimed in implying they don't join in because they don't like it which is a common way of thinking I've found. You're never more than a few yards away from a song policeman wherever you are stood/sat. I've always joined in regardless of whether I like or dislike the words/song. :shrug:

Half of the NS are people who want to be part of an atmosphere but don't want to contribute towards making one. For every one person who is sat in the West/East who wants to contribute, there are 20 people surrounding them who do not. Nothing can carry.

It feels very much like the stars need to align to make the Amex sound like what a match day should. Yes it has happened and is possible, but it is far too rare. It's not a problem exclusive to us though, It's happening everywhere - primarily because fans more likely to be noisy have been priced out. Clubs that have tried their best to combat it usually do so by artificial means such as singing sections (which I'm not averse to) clackers, drums, even playing crowd noise through the loud speakers.

We should have been up for today irrespective of what was happening on the pitch, instead it was painfully silent at times and putting that entirely on the players performances is a cop-out.
Agree with most of this.

The club have to be proactive on this issue. The writing is on the wall - another couple of years like this one (or with slightly more comfortable survival) and The Amex will be nailed on as a "4 out of 10" modern day muted atmosphere home crowd...

Don't know the answer.

We obviously need a whole block for people to stand and sing - rather than the failed "back 4 rows of the NS" policy - but that is very hard to achieve.

Also, I'd prefer to keep what we have than to end up with a wanky "Ultras" group with a drum and Eurodroning chants - not sure either how you avoid that...

Other clubs have deliberately moved fans around to create singing sections. We COULD, for instance, make The Shelf into a new singing section and then encourage further migration to the NW corner by those who want to stand and sing... people in the NW happy to move out would get dibs on some prime (early chosen by proper fans) NS and WSU seats...

Dont know by what process you could vet people to be eligible for the new section but if there was enough will it could be done. If I was in charge I seriously would hold a series of "interview days" over the summer where you had to be keen enough to turn up in person and demonstrate yourself as being obviously the right "type" to get a place..!!!

It is tricky but can be done and IMHO it is something the club should set as a very high priority.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Thought our support today was reactive rather than proactive. When “come on Brighton” is your loudest chant you’re not backing the players.

For the first 5 mins the players were fantastic and so were we but after that Hudds were louder more often.

Two split groups in the North competing with each other yet again. WSU not joining in often enough. And, to be fair, the players making mistake after mistake just as we got going.

Before you ask I’m back of WSU North End. Personal tally = Songs started 3, other people’s songs taken up 2, songs joined in with all. Still too quiet for me where I was.

Agree with all of this.

We’ll need to step up vs Spurs....

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
It was poor today. I thought the fans seemed nervous and this transmitted to the players.

Lack of vocal support most of the match but very quick to vocally criticise mistakes.

Frustrating and surprising day all round. I really thought we would be up for this today and the atmosphere would be good.

Other way round. Players transmitted edginess to the fans. It was poor today but there are mitigating circumstances.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
There was noise coming out of the North Stand for much of the first half, and particularly after they scored. I heard nothing, literally all game, from either of the other stands.

But the players were generally terrible. And the fact we were so obviously tactically outwitted clearly makes a lot of fans nervous when our manager stands there and watches it without the balls to make the necessary changes.

I do still think a drummer would help unify the noise and singing though.

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
Agree with most of this.

The club have to be proactive on this issue. The writing is on the wall - another couple of years like this one (or with slightly more comfortable survival) and The Amex will be nailed on as a "4 out of 10" modern day muted atmosphere home crowd...

Don't know the answer.

We obviously need a whole block for people to stand and sing - rather than the failed "back 4 rows of the NS" policy - but that is very hard to achieve.

Also, I'd prefer to keep what we have than to end up with a wanky "Ultras" group with a drum and Eurodroning chants - not sure either how you avoid that...

Other clubs have deliberately moved fans around to create singing sections. We COULD, for instance, make The Shelf into a new singing section and then encourage further migration to the NW corner by those who want to stand and sing... people in the NW happy to move out would get dibs on some prime (early chosen by proper fans) NS and WSU seats...

Dont know by what process you could vet people to be eligible for the new section but if there was enough will it could be done. If I was in charge I seriously would hold a series of "interview days" over the summer where you had to be keen enough to turn up in person and demonstrate yourself as being obviously the right "type" to get a place..!!!

It is tricky but can be done and IMHO it is something the club should set as a very high priority.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I am sure the Police Box Guys and their unifying influence will not mind moving to behind the goal....

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Welcome to Brighton. It will never change.

Really? Sheffield Weds play off game, noisy all the way through and got the reaction from the players. Carried on even when they scored. Atmosphere against Man City was amazing despite a 2-0 loss. We don't help ourselves with a lot of negative fans and the North Stand split though, admittedly.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
The point was that the Goldstone west was being likened to the Amex west and they are nowhere near the same. Anything too complicated in that for you?

Your answer made no sense to my 2 questions.
Yes in answer to yours, all far too complicated :)

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
am I alone in paying good money for a season ticket to watch football ? If I want to sing, I'll do so in the privacy of my bathroom, or join a choir !!

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
We support. the players and management are paid beyond our dreams to give us somehing to support. That doesn't mean winning every match but but means effort, organization, not making stupid mistakes and acting like a professional. Yesterday, for the first time in a home match, the playing side didn't fulfill their side of the deal (Ryan, Schelotto and Bong excepted).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Two things about the crowd annoyed me yesterday, and they fall into the category of classless tinpottery

1. The endless 'Withdean, division 4' style howling every time one of their players stole a few yards for a throw in

2. The endless pathetic booing of Prichard. It reminded me of the endless booing of Murray when he played against us (and look how that turnd out).

FFS.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here