Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Pompey Clowns

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
The karma for me is that they invested absolutely nothing in the club's infrastructure while they were at the top level. They basically paid ridiculous wages to players who would never have come to them otherwise.

The fans never asked questions and the local paper was also happy-clappy. For that reason I feel they deserve their long stretch in the lower leagues.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

Attachments

• 37DD9806-C2B0-4F05-98A5-19675BB845FA.jpeg
    37DD9806-C2B0-4F05-98A5-19675BB845FA.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 63

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
When he came to Newhaven.
That was that Robert Carmichael film. I saw this at the Duke of York with a Q&A with the director…..both the film and the Q&A were uncomfortable for different reasons.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Once had a lecture from a Pompey fan at Marylebone station. He very aggressively explained to me why they are such a big club, why we will slide back to where we had come from and will never know the greatness they have, and will again, achieve. I mentioned them going bust and stealing a trophy. He got very aggressive but then had to catch a train to see his team play Wycombe. I went to Wembley (to see city just edge us to the Cup final).

Wankers, the lot of them.
I think it grinds with both them and Southampton fans that it’s all about the long game, and after all of our struggles we are now the biggest club on the South coast but a country mile, and have the stadium, fanbase, infrastructure and British ownership to be there for the foreseeable future.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I watched the film just because it was made in Newhaven, didn’t enjoy it.
I was a member of the DoY and went as it was Newhaven (where I was raised) and a Q&A which interested me as the film had a lot of criticism and I wanted to see how the makers defended this.

As an aside, I remember there were a number of continuity issues. One scene was filmed at Tideway (entrance to the playing fields) and the people in the scene said they would meet someone else in town….but I knew the next “town” scene was filmed on the other side to the entrance. Obviously you needed to know the school to spot this.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
My avatar says it all.

Following little Portsmouth is proving an absolute delight. They plummeted down the league after spending money that wasn't theres caught up on them, but they won the FA cup. I say won, I mean of course CHEATED. And at their last visit to the Amex, they sang "you've never won f*** all", which says it all. Oh and their fans think they're a massive club. I once went on a Sunderland forum and there was one such numpty arguing Portsmouth was a bigger club than them! FFS!

As such, any Albion fan talking about cuddly little Portsmouth and how they don't mind them is an absolute GIMP.

They got out of division 4 a few years ago and that was disappointing enough. If they ever get out of the lower leagues, it will be 50 billion years too soon. I'm just delighted they're making the decisions that suggest they agree with me.

Last edited:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
My avatar says it all.

Following little Portsmouth is proving an absolute delight. They plummeted down the league after spending money that wasn't theres caught up on them, but they won the FA cup. I say won, I mean of course CHEATED. And at there last visit to the Amex, they sang "you've never won f*** all", which says it all. Oh and their fans think they're a massive club. I once went on a Sunderland forum and there was one such numpty arguing Portsmouth was a bigger club than them! FFS!

As such, any Albion fan talking about cuddly little Portsmouth and how they don't mind them is an absolute GIMP.

They got out of division 4 a few years ago and that was disappointing enough. If they ever get out of the lower leagues, it will be 50 billion years too soon. I'm just delighted they're making the decisions that suggest they agree with me.
I genuinely look to see if they’ve lost before them up the road!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I genuinely look to see if they’ve lost before them up the road!
So do I!

Whilst I appreciate it isn't reciprocated by their fan base on the whole, I f***ing hate Portsmouth more than the Nigels (along with a fair sized minority of our West Sussex based support). Mind you, I know there are a few of their fans who feel the same towards us, so it's for them I take great delight in seeing they're doing everything they can to settle into perpetual FA Cup Round One entry. It'll be nice to see them beaten by Worthing, one of the Eastbourne teams or Lewes some time soon. Or maybe our U21s in that crappy Johnson Paints replacement.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I was a member of the DoY and went as it was Newhaven (where I was raised) and a Q&A which interested me as the film had a lot of criticism and I wanted to see how the makers defended this.

As an aside, I remember there were a number of continuity issues. One scene was filmed at Tideway (entrance to the playing fields) and the people in the scene said they would meet someone else in town….but I knew the next “town” scene was filmed on the other side to the entrance. Obviously you needed to know the school to spot this.
This somehow completely passed me by, despite being at Tideway when it came out.
Never mind continuity, I just looked it up and one of the images shows school pupils wearing ties.
Ties!? At Tideway in the early 2000s? WTAF!? :angry::angry::rant::angry:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think it grinds with both them and Southampton fans that it’s all about the long game, and after all of our struggles we are now the biggest club on the South coast but a country mile, and have the stadium, fanbase, infrastructure and British ownership to be there for the foreseeable future.
Since the war, I'd say all three clubs have had similar sized fanbases and grounds. But Southampton have had more top flight seasons in that time than Pompey and Albion put together. They've also won an FA Cup (like the skates without the cheating and bankruptcy) and they also finished 2nd in the league. They also got to a league cup final once.

Nowadays, Southampton and Brighton are the big hitters (although we are clearly better right now). Big(gish) grounds and Premier league regulars. Portsmouth can bleat on about big all they like, but neither Southampton not Brighton have had a league gate as low as Portsmouth's whole ground even holds for at least 12 years. Lots of ways you can measure club size, but I'm not quite sure how you can make a case for a club being a big club when they are in division three with a noddy ground, haven't been in the top 2 divisions for over a decade and have won just one trophy since the war (bought with money they couldn't afford to spend).

Last edited:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
One blessing is that there doesn’t seem to be many Pompey fans living in around Newhaven, Peacehaven and Seaford, I know of one in Seaford, but Palace seem to have a fair few in this area unfortunately.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
To be fair BO or not, he was very supportive in our dark times, even recall him coming to the Goldstone to a game to show his solidarity.

As for PFC themselves is this footballing Karma?

At times it was almost airbrushed out, Milan Mandaric was more than just a ‘football fan’, he was investigated by the UN for gunrunning and was a friend and associate of both Milsovic and Arkan, he made Greg Stanley look like The Angel Gabriel.

Thankfully not us, although he was allegedly in the mix when we hired Hypia, but Harry Redknapp has done more damage to football clubs on the South Coast than the Luftwaffe.

Obviously partly ‘funded’ by Mandaric he then set about grossly over spending and effectively bankrupting Pompey in the process.

I wonder if all the Pompey faithful who loved the rollercoaster ride with the Cup win and the dizzy heights of the EPL contemplated the decade long (and counting) shit storm that has followed?
Westwood is an old mate of mine (I lived in Pompey for 15 years after leaving the RM)
I saw him during a march on the seafront we did for Falmer.
He’d come to show solidarity and support our dream of of finding a new home.
He didn’t have to do that.
Underneath all the smelly clobber and clown shoes, he’s a decent bloke

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
One blessing is that there doesn’t seem to be many Pompey fans living in around Newhaven, Peacehaven and Seaford, I know of one in Seaford, but Palace seem to have a fair few in this area unfortunately.
Good old Gazza

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
There was a mini pitch invasion from the North, mostly kids (13 yo me included!) and we all legged it back when a handful of Pompey came onto the pitch too :lolol: :lol: :lolol: :lol:
Yes………bloody embarrassing it was too.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Pompey is probably the shittest away ground I've been to. I've been to a fair few grim northern holes, the likes of Grimbsy and Rotherham (old ground) but at least they had a certain amount of character and were kind of what I expected. Fratton Park is just a god awful experience from the moment you get off the train and start walking through that industrial estate. It has no redeeming features and is basically just a few sheds surrounding a pitch.

I have to say I don't look out for their results quite as regularly as I used to. I think I've just got used to them perennially failing to get out of League One. Obviously that is still highly enjoyable though.

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
To be fair BO or not, he was very supportive in our dark times, even recall him coming to the Goldstone to a game to show his solidarity.

As for PFC themselves is this footballing Karma?

At times it was almost airbrushed out, Milan Mandaric was more than just a ‘football fan’, he was investigated by the UN for gunrunning and was a friend and associate of both Milsovic and Arkan, he made Greg Stanley look like The Angel Gabriel.

Thankfully not us, although he was allegedly in the mix when we hired Hypia, but Harry Redknapp has done more damage to football clubs on the South Coast than the Luftwaffe.

Obviously partly ‘funded’ by Mandaric he then set about grossly over spending and effectively bankrupting Pompey in the process.

I wonder if all the Pompey faithful who loved the rollercoaster ride with the Cup win and the dizzy heights of the EPL contemplated the decade long (and counting) shit storm that has followed?
Don't forget the Gaydamaks. Long history of inferred gun running in Angola and wanted by the French. Although Arcadi was never officially involved in Pompey as his son was listed as owner, it was often assumed he was. This is a man of Russian birth and 9 passports of 9 different countries.
And then of course, there is the financial wasteland often left in the aftermath of El Tel 🙂

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here