Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pompey away - memories

Feb 14, 2010
In honour of our Hampshire cousins then memories of Pompey away..

I have an away game when Bremner put it over the bar from the 6 yard box and Gulls Eye following up with the "Brenda's brothel" front page. We lost I think.

Then the evening game when we had a good season out of the blue with Mike Small and John Byrne up front. I remember a packed away end and a crush after the game. After the game about 400 / 500 Brighton steaming down a street after being let out of the alley behind the away end as the rest of us walked on to the station. It was a strange walk back to the station and the train stopping at every station after getting out of Fratton. i had no idea there were so many place between Brighton and Worthing before that night! Can't remember the score.

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
In honour of our Hampshire cousins then memories of Pompey away..

I have an away game when Bremner put it over the bar from the 6 yard box and Gulls Eye following up with the "Brenda's brothel" front page. We lost I think.

Then the evening game when we had a good season out of the blue with Mike Small and John Byrne up front. I remember a packed away end and a crush after the game. After the game about 400 / 500 Brighton steaming down a street after being let out of the alley behind the away end as the rest of us walked on to the station. It was a strange walk back to the station and the train stopping at every station after getting out of Fratton. i had no idea there were so many place between Brighton and Worthing before that night! Can't remember the score.

The season with Byrne & small up front was 90/91

I may be wrong but I think it finished 0.0

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I think we lost the game where there was a crush 1-0 I'm sure it was April 1991.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Remember winning 1-0 down there one Boxing day, must have been mid to late 80's. Got completely off my face on way home, eventually got in doors and promptly grounded as only about 16 at the time.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Opening game of the season, think we lost 4-1 or 4-2
Pompey had a quality team then with Paul Merson pulling the strings
We were properly beaten that day after scoring first

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I was there when Gazza scored a stunning free kick goal for Spurs.

As for the Albion, I remember a game back in the mid 80s, can't remember the score, just remember a great atmosphere even with no roof, oh, and the Neanderthals (on both sides) grunting it out in the alleyway behind the away end :tosser:

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Losing 1 0 & Nobby missing a pen also remember Pompey fans running across pitch towards the away end the rest is a bit of a blur I was only 7

dibbydoo

DibbyDoo
Aug 1, 2011
Brighton
I think it was 2002 or 2003, we lost, on the way back to the station some pompey fan chucked a bottle of urine at as, Delightful end to a not so great day.

Buck

Through & Through
Feb 18, 2009
Not Lewes Any More
One of my worst away days ever. As I remember it we were 1-0 up at h/t and lost 5-1! Poured with rain, no cover and kept us in for half hour or so after while replaying the commentary of their goals over the Tannoy system!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
One of my worst away days ever. As I remember it we were 1-0 up at h/t and lost 5-1! Poured with rain, no cover and kept us in for half hour or so after while replaying the commentary of their goals over the Tannoy system!

This one.

Willie f***ing Young.

Bad, bad day.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
cant remember the year but it was in the 80's, i was a guest of a pompey mate in the south stand. he took his 4 year old son to his first game.
pompey scored, and everyone (except me) jumped up and started cheering. his son got scared with all the noise and stuff and started crying.
second half, pompey get a penalty, my mate explains to his son that the noise is going to happen again...'you're not going to get scared again son are you'
'no dad, im gonna join in this time'....'good boy' says my mate.

pompey player (cant remember the name but they sold him to liverpool) runs up and blasts it over the bar.
me and my mate's son jump up cheering.
everyone turns round to look at us ....and all i remember is my mate's voice saying 'sit down son'

:lolol:

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Losing 1 0 & Nobby missing a pen also remember Pompey fans running across pitch towards the away end the rest is a bit of a blur I was only 7

I remember that one, it was in '76. There was some serious crowd trouble and being only 12 at the time I was scared witless (or something that rhymes with it).

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Sun burn. August 2002 start of season really. Felt we had a side that could be interested (pre season optimism). Shit result. 4-2 i think, and sun burn. ahh well... we have moved on and natural selection has restablished itself.

Last edited:

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
The 91 game was indeed 1-0 to them and John Beresford (remember him) scored. I was only 9 at the time and can indeed remember the crush after the game as everyone was let out of a single doorway. Also can remember a game a few years later which was 0-0 and it was baking hot. Also the game where Butters and Graham Barrett made their debuts and Pompey murdered us.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
1988 (maybe) Aspinall scored for them with a lovely back header, I'm pretty sure we lost. My main memory of the match was the Portsmouth Police.....those boys were well up for a ruck that day, being generally aggressive, obnoxious and nicking people at random (including my mate who ended up coming home in the train mail cage :lolol: ).

I'm sure they are lovely and fluffy these days.

May 21, 2004
Preston Park
Lost 4-2 on a beautiful day in August, despite going 2-1 up in first half. Played off the park by great Jim Smith side. Butts' first game (?), was about 2 stone overweight.

1-0 defeat to early goal Christmas 1976, missed a pen. That Pompey song by somebody Oldfield was played quite a lot and always reminds me of that bad day. Made St John think they could beat us at the Goldstone but we did them 4-0 at Easter on way to promotion from 3rd Div.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
We went to Fratton. It was a shithole. Micky Quinn scored and celebrated in front of us, Think we lost 3-0. Thought we might die on the way back to the car, vowed never to go back although I have and I cant remember a win. I'd love it if Pompey went bust - I genuinely hate them more than Palace.

Hated Pompey even more after we beat them 1-0 when Edwards scored in the cup and it was like a war zone going back to the car - certainly the worst I ever experienced at the Goldstone although Leeds at home on 2 occasions came very close. I was in the East where a Leeds fan was hanging off one of those plastic nail spike things (Anyone under 30 will have absolutely no idea what I am talking about) trying to spit on my head whilst telling anyone that would listen that us soutnern cnuts were going down. Pleasant chap.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
We went to Fratton. It was a shithole. Micky Quinn scored and celebrated in front of us, Think we lost 3-0. Thought we might die on the way back to the car, vowed never to go back although I have and I cant remember a win. I'd love it if Pompey went bust - I genuinely hate them more than Palace.

Hated Pompey even more after we beat them 1-0 when Edwards scored in the cup and it was like a war zone going back to the car - certainly the worst I ever experienced at the Goldstone although Leeds at home on 2 occasions came very close. I was in the East where a Leeds fan was hanging off one of those plastic nail spike things (Anyone under 30 will have absolutely no idea what I am talking about) trying to spit on my head whilst telling anyone that would listen that us soutnern cnuts were going down. Pleasant chap.
Those were the days :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here