Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Poll: Which was your Favourite Car/Characters in Wacky Races?

Who do you want to win the Wacky Races?

• The Boulder Mobile*: The Slag Brothers

Votes: 17 13.2%
  • The Creepy Coupe : The Gruesome Twosome

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • The Convert-a-Car : Professor Pat Pending

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • The Crimson Haybaler : The Red Max

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • The Compact Pussycat : Penelope Pitstop

Votes: 10 7.8%
  • The Army Surplus Special*: Sergeant Blast & Private Meekly

• The Bulletproof Bomb*: The Ant Hill Mob

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • The Arkansas Chuggabug : Lazy Luke &*Blubber Bear

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • The Turbo Terrific*: Peter Perfect

• The Buzz Wagon : Rufus Ruffcut & Sawtooth

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • The Mean Machine : Dick Dastardly and Muttley

Votes: 43 33.3%

• Total voters

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Dick Dastardly and Muttley, who else??

This thread got me thinking about the film they based on the show, does anyone else remember "Monte Carlo or Bust"?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I had to go with AntHill Mob as I spent 11 years in the band.

As an aside, I have an Hannah Barbera soundtrack album at home, it's rammed full of misical gems. 48 tracks from memory. Even Secret Squirrel and Josie and the pussycats.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Dick Dastardly and Muttley, who else??

This thread got me thinking about the film they based on the show, does anyone else remember "Monte Carlo or Bust"?

Trivia: The show was inspired by the film The Great Race (1965). Natalie Wood (playing Maggie DuBois) became Penelope Pitstop (even wearing the same pink racing outfit). Dick Dastardly was based on Jack Lemmon's character Prof. Fate and Dastardly's sidekick Muttley was loosely based on Peter Falk's Max Meen. Peter Perfect was based on the Tony Curtis character.

the-great-race-fan-casting-poster-13746-medium.jpg

Last edited:

Bish Bosh

Aug 10, 2005
Wish it was in the EU
The show was clearly not giving its audience what it really wanted. While Dick Dastardly and Muttley are steaming ahead by a mile in the poll race they never actually won any of the Wacky Races, in fact they never even came top three...

View attachment 134987
View attachment 134988

It was a morality tale for kids. D&M had the best car but got up to all kinds of cheating so something would go wrong - usually near the finishing line - meaning they never won.

Penelope Pitstop for me everytime!

paulfuzz

Apr 17, 2019
Kings Lynn
It was a morality tale for kids. D&M had the best car but got up to all kinds of cheating so something would go wrong - usually near the finishing line - meaning they never won.

Penelope Pitstop for me everytime!

And he would have gotten away with it if it hadn't been for those meddling.......... oops!! wrong show

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
The Arkansas Chuggabug. Simply for the name alone.

This. It's always the first one which comes to mind.

Having said that, I always found Hanna-Barbera cartoons a bit sh*t. Obviously I still watched them every morning because there was nothing else on.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Not many votes for Peter Perfect and his penismobile, I am sure that was the intention with the shape of the car and constantly wooing Penelope rather like some of the inuendos in Captain Pugwash.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
When I was at secondary school, I ran a book, each day Wacky Races was on the telly. I gave all the racers odds of 3/1 except Dick Dastardly who I put at 10/1. I paid out any winners the following morning. I used to make a small fortune each week. It was "old" money, and most people's bets would be a penny, with some putting money on a 3/1 shot and Dick Dastardly as well, who never did win, but money kept being laid on him!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Ant Hill Mob. Although I like the look of the Dastardley and Muttley vehicle I just can't quite bring myself to vote for the bad guys.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here