Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

POLL: Do you think Gus will start with Barnes tuesday?

Do you think Gus will start Barnes tuesday?

• Total voters

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Gus has been here 3 years and in all that time we have not had a clear and coherent penalty strategy.
( So don't expect any change there! )
Can any team in all four divisions have been through more different penalty takers in that time?
Murray, Barnes, Wood, Dicker, Harley, Vicente, CMS, Dobbie etc.
Is it any surprise that our conversion rate is so poor.
But Gus knows best. Thats why he keeps playing Barnes and after an appalling miss v Leicester that cost us at least a point he lets him take another one v Bolton. Why? Because he was trying to help one of his favoured players regain some confidence. Piss poor management.
Players out of their depth and struggling for confidence should be dropped. Barnes is a Div1 player at best and his lack of technique is exposed time and time again by the clever players at this level. Good first touch, accurate passing, solid tackling and sound temperament are all pre-requisites at this level.
Ashley Barnes has none of these.

If you read the Argus, they stated that Poyet has nothing to do with who takes the penalties but he may well do so now. So it was not piss poor management letting Barnes take the penalty it was piss poor management in leaving to the team to decide!

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/albion/10070323.David_on_the_spot_for_Albion/

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Given the facts that:

1. That was Barnes' worst game for a long while
2. Dobbie has already bagged a couple of goals and has form at this level, and
3. Hoskins is getting game time

I'd be very surprised if Gus doesn't "carpe diem" and drop Barnes.

And for all those that slag Barnes off mercilessly, I think he's a great bench option. Too often substitutes are one-dimensional, i.e. bring on Lua Lua if we need a winner, bring on Dicker if we need to shore up the midfield. I think Barnes is versatile so will keep the opposition manager guessing and give Gus all sorts of flexibility.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Thats why he keeps playing Barnes and after an appalling miss v Leicester that cost us at least a point he lets him take another one v Bolton. Why? Barnes is a Div1 player at best

What a load of shit. It was a good penalty against Leicester, the keeper just made a great save. It happens to the best players in the world. How can you say that was an 'appalling miss'? You've obviously never played the game. The penalty he took on Saturday wasn't such a good one, but it was no worse than the one CMS scored against Leeds at the Amex a few weeks ago. Had there been the same outcome you wouldn't be saying what you're saying. The problem was not the penalty, it was the appalling miss from the follow up. That's an appalling miss, not a penalty hit low, hard and into the corner resulting in a brilliant penalty save.

I like Barnes, and unlike a lot of people who still don't understand the way we play, I can see why Gus likes him, what he brings to the team, and why we need players like that in the side. He's part of the reason why our defensive record is so good this season. To say he is a League 1 player at best when he scored 14 in the Championship from midfield last year, and 20 in League 1 the year before, is clearly complete and utter nonsense. But I'd still drop him on Tuesday if I was in charge, he hasn't been up to it recently so let's give him a rest for a bit. Give him a couple of games off and get Dobbie some game time, and then see where we are in a couple of weeks.

Barry M

Jan 21, 2011
That's an appalling miss, not a penalty hit low, hard and into the corner resulting in a brilliant penalty save.

Did you see the penalty?? It certainly wasn't low and hard and in the corner. More like a pass just to the keepers right.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I think we should be asking why Hammond isn't standing up. Great record as a penalty taker. And he was on the pitch.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
What a load of shit. It was a good penalty against Leicester, the keeper just made a great save. It happens to the best players in the world. How can you say that was an 'appalling miss'? You've obviously never played the game. The penalty he took on Saturday wasn't such a good one, but it was no worse than the one CMS scored against Leeds at the Amex a few weeks ago. Had there been the same outcome you wouldn't be saying what you're saying. The problem was not the penalty, it was the appalling miss from the follow up. That's an appalling miss, not a penalty hit low, hard and into the corner resulting in a brilliant penalty save.

Hard and low into the corner, saved brilliantly!!!!!......did you have your eyes shut!.....it was just left of centre....Bogdan couldn't believe his luck. As for the pen at Leicester, Barnes opened up his body and tried to steer the ball into the bottom corner. It was a ' telegraphed ' penalty i.e his body language told Schmeical where it was going. It was a good save without being outstanding. Barnes made it too easy for him. ( Ok..bit harsh to say appalling....poor will do )
Thank you for the lecture on football. Don't know how long you have followed BHA. Done 1000+ games yet?. I thought not.
Observed the game at home and abroad for over 40 years? I thought not. Seen a lot of good players with excellent first touch, good passing ability and solid temperament. I thought not.
Ashley Barnes divides opinion. His supporters say he is often played out of position, tracks back well, defends well and has scored goals in the past. His detractors point to poor first touch, a tendency to give the ball away too much, an inability to win the ball in the air in forward positions, pulling out of tackles, suspect temperament ( regularly booked )loses confidence too easily and misses lots of straightforward chances.
There is no middle ground with this fellow. You either rate him or you don't. If the detractors have all got it wrong, then there are thousands of BHA fans ( me included ) who don't know the first thing about football.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Did you see the penalty?? It certainly wasn't low and hard and in the corner. More like a pass just to the keepers right.

It looked that way to me as well from the highlights. In fact it looked more like one down the middle of the goal. And if that was intended - it needs to be above diving legs height.

It was a poor penalty from a not very confident player.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Hard and low into the corner, saved brilliantly!!!!!......did you have your eyes shut!.....it was just left of centre....Bogdan couldn't believe his luck. As for the pen at Leicester, Barnes opened up his body and tried to steer the ball into the bottom corner. It was a ' telegraphed ' penalty i.e his body language told Schmeical where it was going. It was a good save without being outstanding. Barnes made it too easy for him. ( Ok..bit harsh to say appalling....poor will do )
Thank you for the lecture on football. Don't know how long you have followed BHA. Done 1000+ games yet?. I thought not.
Observed the game at home and abroad for over 40 years? I thought not. Seen a lot of good players with excellent first touch, good passing ability and solid temperament. I thought not.
Ashley Barnes divides opinion. His supporters say he is often played out of position, tracks back well, defends well and has scored goals in the past. His detractors point to poor first touch, a tendency to give the ball away too much, an inability to win the ball in the air in forward positions, pulling out of tackles, suspect temperament ( regularly booked )loses confidence too easily and misses lots of straightforward chances.
There is no middle ground with this fellow. You either rate him or you don't. If the detractors have all got it wrong, then there are thousands of BHA fans ( me included ) who don't know the first thing about football.

No, I was talking about the Leicester penalty. There was nothing wrong with it, 9 times out of 10 it would have gone in, it was a good save. The pen on Saturday wasn't a very good one, but I'll say it again, it was no worse than the one CMS scored against Leeds. Barnes has been our best penalty taker over the last three seasons. Sometimes they don't go in, same with every penalty taker ever. It's the follow up miss that I have an issue with, he really should have had the coolness of mind to just slot it in the other corner.

No idea how many games I've done but I doubt it's as many as a thousand. I've been going for 23 seasons though so I've seen my fair share of games, and yes I have also watched a fair amount of football abroad. Not really sure how this is relevant though. And I haven't been alive for 40 years yet, so you cant really hold that against me.

And you could just as easily say that if the detractors have got it right, then one of the best players to play in this country in the last 20 years doesn't know the first thing about football. The whole thing about people either loving or hating Barnes is a myth as well. For some reason he is unpopular with some fans, but just because others rate him doesn't mean they think he's the best player at the club. I like Barnes, he does a job, and we need that kind of player to play the system that we play. If we go up to the Premier League we will need to get someone of a much higher calibre to do that job. And, as I said in my original post, Gus should drop him tomorrow.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here