Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poll: British, English, Sussex or don't care?

Are you British, English or Sussex?

• British

Votes: 30 21.7%
  • English

Votes: 59 42.8%
  • Other (e.g. Scottish, Welsh etc)

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Sussex

Votes: 18 13.0%
  • Don't Care

Votes: 28 20.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Apply the litmus test, eg.
If you were in a foreign country and someone asked you where are you from, how would you answer?
a) Brighton
b) Sussex
c) England
d) Great Britain [I'm British]
e) UK
f) Europe

If you were somewhere in the UK and someone asked you where are you from, how would you answer?
a) Moulsecoomb / Roedean [ie district of Brighton]
b) Brighton
c) Sussex
d) England
e) Great Britain [I'm British]

My take on "proud" is that you will use the location that you would like to portray yourself as from that you believe will show you in a positive light.

I'm sure there are some people who are the opposite of proud [ashamed?] of where they are from and will avoid mentioning the location at all costs.

Just an angle, like .....

Rather than the place that would show you in a positive light, you could just respond based upon what was accurate and a place that they would be likely to have heard of. So I wouldn't say Shoreham-by-Sea, I say England, 50 miles south of London, on the coast. In terms of where I grew up, I'm not going to say a village in Derbyshire, I'd say mid/north of England.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
My surname links back to the Norman invasion so really I'm part French. I do like cheese and wine and I'm quite proud of that. Also I'm scared of the cold so that makes me Southern.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I do like cheese and wine and I'm quite proud of that.

Interesting thing to be proud of. Not a criticism, just an observation.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's as random as where you got pushed out of your mothers pride.

True. It has got thinking about what I'm proud of. And not so proud of :wink:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Might prove an opportunity to offload the Malvinas, yet another shocking example of a colonial past.

I was drinking a bottle of Argie red wine last night. I rarely drink wine but it was very good. Reckon we could swop the islands for the winery and some corned beef? I mean, some decent red and some tinned meat or a rock in the middle of nowhere...no brainer.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
Typical NSC and lots of debates in general. Noisy minority with their opinions in the posts, but the poll shows the general opinion is different.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
What is so good about Britain to make the two words, "pride" and "Britain", continually shoved together. As already said I have no pride in my passport stating Britain.

I take more pride in myself and my family rather than a geographical location and it's history? good or bad.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
I really couldn't give a toss.

I live on planet Earth. Other demarcations based on geographical boundaries are pointless.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I wear no such label as a badge of honorable identity, but i would say that the constant embarrassment this life has me feel, laced with an undimmable sense of irrational superiority, makes me call myself more English than British. An aloof shame will see me to the grave.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Acording to the results of a survey announced today only 35% of the people surveyed said they were very proud to be British. This figure was down from 43% when the same survey was conducted in 2003. Do you feel very proud about your national or local identity or maybe you just dont care?

Sorry I answered British as that is what I am. I didn't see proud to be. I have to say not proud seeing how badly Brits behave abroad. Ashamed is more accurate.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
English don't consider myself British,Pre 91 if i'd been born in Estonia i'd of been Estonian and not a person of The Soviet Union.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Typical NSC and lots of debates in general. Noisy minority with their opinions in the posts, but the poll shows the general opinion is different.

What do you mean? A general opinion that 70 odd percent of people think they are from somewhere? I would have guessed that at least 70 odd percent of people would say they were from somewhere, I don't think that's a huge surprise.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here