Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Polish Nazis.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
:bowdown: - post of the day, CG. Bet they weren't bendy buses either. :angry:

Yes they were... I travelled on a few Warsaw bendy buses in the late 80s.

Shopping was a very different experience. There was never really any choice (which had it's benefits) but if that product was out of stock that was it.

As the shops were state owned, it was quite an experience going into a shop and being ignored.

I remember going to get the milk for the people I was staying with and being told to avoid the milk in the brown bottles at all costs. I never found out what was wrong with the milk in the brown bottles, but the milk in the white bottles was bad enough.

Last edited:

Dandyman

In London village.
It's not that surprising to be honest if you think about the country's recent history.

Dandyman will be a better judge of this, but if you look at all the ex-communist countries there has been a certain element of far right views probably as a reaction to the former political system they lived under.

There was a huge feeling of national pride when they gained their freedom and in some this has sadly turned into extreme nationalism and racism.

As for reading a book about the country's History during the second world war, you are talking about a different generation. There are people with similiar views in this country who do with reading a few books.

That's a view that I once had to be honest, I visited the country during the communist times and after. I encounted anti-semetic and racist views and was very surprised, but then again those view existed in pockets in Europe prior to Hitler and still exist after.

One thing you can say about the Poles is that they are a proud nation. They aren't stupid either and the majority wouldn't want their country to be seen in a bad light. I agree with the commentator on the programme who said the best way for this to be dealt with is for any racism to be exposed during the championship.

I think it would probably take a book (or two) to deal properly with the issue of anti-semitism in Poland. The former Stalinist regime were quite happy to harness latent anti-Jewish sentiment in 1968 and it still forms part of the discourse of right -wing nationalism today. The role of the Roman Catholic church is also deeply shameful here with a leading Cardinal only a couple of years ago stating that the Star of David had done more harm to Poland that either the Swastika or Hammer & Sickle and the RC Radio Marjia (sp) spouting racist and facist filth at a fairly consistent rate. It is a standard trick of the Polish right to suggest that their rivals are not "real Poles" (i.e. Jewish).
ti

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
That was nothing last night really, you should have seen 'Ross Kemp on Gangs' when he went there. :eek:

Yeah I saw that too. How the f*** do England fans get vilified all over Europe, yet they give Euro 2012 to Poland? Did nobody in UEFA do any research.

sod1

Jan 12, 2008
Brasov , Romania
Yes they were... I travelled on a few Warsaw bendy buses in the late 80s.

Shopping was a very different experience. There was never really any choice (which had it's benefits) but if that product was out of stock that was it.

As the shops were state owned, it was quite an experience going into a shop and being ignored.

I remember going to get the milk for the people I was staying with and being told to avoid the milk in the brown bottles at all costs. I never found out what was wrong with the milk in the brown bottles, but the milk in the white bottles was bad enough.

i too travelled on a few bendy buses in 1989, and as you say the shopping really was an experience, as well as the milk being awful so to was the coffee.

Most of the people i met were actually German but they woke up one morning to find they lived in Poland after the borders were changed overnight

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
i too travelled on a few bendy buses in 1989, and as you say the shopping really was an experience, as well as the milk being awful so to was the coffee.

Most of the people i met were actually German but they woke up one morning to find they lived in Poland after the borders were changed overnight

When I landed at the airport, the man who picked me up had to rush to the city council (in that huge tower in the centre) because there was an important vote and he was a counciller (..possibly to vote out the communist mayor)

My plane was late and he was late so he had no alternative to take my into the council chambers with him. Amazing scenes actually.. bearing in mind I'd been in the country about 30 mins.

It was the Christmas the Romanian president Nicolae Ceausescu and his wife Elena were shot. Polish TV News thought is would be nice to show them with bullet holes in their heads.

Do you remember the state owned record shops in communist Poland ? They consisted of a bloke copying a CD (bought in Germany) onto hundreds of cassettes. You could even take a CD in and for a small fee they would run off as many copies as you wanted.

Went back that Summer when the communists had all but left.

The place was full of entrepreneurs selling German goods on the streets they had bought in the back of their cars. Warsaw had literally turned into a car boot sale, with a particular popularity for the best in German hard core .

Sam Fox was a huge star out their as well. I remember talking to some kids who lived in the flat next door I was staying. They refused to believe when I said that all Sam Fox did in the UK was get her baps out.

Le Tigre

Apr 6, 2008
*smooch smooch*
Polish Bird: "Darlink, before you do me up ze gary, vill you sing me ze Horst Wessel song?"

Buzzer: "Er, not sure how that one goes" *ziiiip*

*smooch smooch*

Polish Bird:" But mein lieber, I can only get vet ven I hear it, uzzervise I ca't stop thinking about ze gypsies unt ze slavs unt it puts me off"

*slurp*

Buzzer; "Er..but I fiercley oppose fascism, I wear my hair long and foppish as a symbol of my defiance of the far right, I love gypsies and the slavs with their little flat faces"

*slap, slobber*

Polish bird: "Vell I am sorry liebschen, but tonight zere vill be no hiding the Buzzer Bratvurst,"

Buzzer;" How does that song go again?"

Since when has the Polish language been peppered with gramaticaly poor German words mein lieber ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here