Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Policing in the Eighties - anyone remember it?

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
wearing ear studs leading up to retirement, 'if the ladies can, why can't I ?' Seniors saying ' Oh it's only --------, he's retiring soon, leave him' .
control room ringing TK outside pier late on weekend nights/early hours when clubs kicked out , watching people in various states of drunkeness answer it.
domestic where couple were in their 80's , wife chasing husband in zimmer ......
many more, but those were the days....'75 - '99 .......

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
another favourite....Adam Ant rat's tail stuck down with sticky tape under collar, defendant at court in fits of laughter, because as I was giving evidence it was slowly coming unstuck and creeping out ....

dazman

Apr 30, 2009
another favourite....Adam Ant rat's tail stuck down with sticky tape under collar, defendant at court in fits of laughter, because as I was giving evidence it was slowly coming unstuck and creeping out ....

Absolutely love that one!! :laugh:

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Dad was a dog handler (german Shephard and explosives dog) in central Sussex (Brighton and surrounding areas) during the 70's and 80's. He has some fantastic stories to tell about those "good ol days". Obviously there was some shit times too....getting gobbed on constantly, searching for missing kids, attending fatal RTC's etc but i think the good far outweighed the bad.

He was also one of the first in the Grand hotel in 1984 after the bomb went off and successfully detected a "device" planted by the IRA at the Grand hotel in Eastbourne just before the queen was due to stay there. Very little publicity was given to that.

Did a lot of duties at the Goldstone too with the vicious hound.

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
SPG anyone

spg%u00252Bscreen%2Bshot.jpg

markychap

Feb 1, 2010
Seaford
To finish this off in numerous fashion before it gets too serious, here's the two most comical incidents I saw, as in the original list.

A constable who had been in the area for a couple of weeks out on foot patrol and finding himself completely lost and in his own words, "going round in circles". In despair and without the aid of mobiles/SatNav of course, he had to resort to going into a telephone box and making a shame-faced call in to seek directions for a return to the nick. Having explained his location, he was told, "if you look to your left, can you see a building with a bread sign on the top, just to the left of that there should be a singe-storey building next to an office block. Look up to the third floor and you'll see a window with half your shift colleagues waving at you..." :cute:

A keen but nervous group of four probationer constables on attachment to the nick being sent to the magistrates court to observe proceedings and being sat at the side of the court for a whole morning session and told not leave. At the end of the morning, the chairman of the bench went over to address them and give them some pearls of wisdom. He went on, and on and on... totally unaware that one of the lads had been frantically trying to contain his bursting bladder for the previous half an hour. I'm not sure that at first, he even noticed the puddle silently forming round the constable's shoes and socks!! :blush:

Some amusing stories on this thread. The first one here is comical but the second one is amazing - are you seriously saying that the copper wet his pants rather than say he had to go?

No way!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here