Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Police to 'visit 1,000 homes' in MASSIVE crackdown on illegal Premier League streaming

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
In 2023, how do TV companies expect to be able to sell live rights to foreign tv channels but nobody in the UK to be able to see those channels?

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
IPTV brings access to 10's of thousands of worldwide channels.
Just once a week [sometimes twice] I watch MY club play live.
Not interested in watching any other live football.
If I had Sky Sports, Amazon & BT sport [loads of £££] I guess all of these subscriptions would still only get me probably 10 of Albion's 45+ first team matches live each season.

I would be VERY interested to buy a "BHA TV season ticket" from either the club or the Premier League that ONLY gives me access to ALL BHA fixtures.
But to be competitive with IPTV, will need to be in the region of £5-£6 per month.
Can't see it myself.

And the only way to stop this is to cut off the supply.
I see it a bit like the cannabis economy, plod not really interested in [end] users, they want suppliers and the cannabis factories closed down. Trouble is, there is a never ending queue of crims that will happily step into the shoes of the recently "nicked"
The cost of policing such a strategy would be enormous ...

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The PL is like the Sheriff of Nottingham, and the Satellites as King John.

Dodgy stream providers are the Robin Hood, giving to we, the fans, as ‘the poor’

Frankly anyone robbing the former these days isn’t an outlaw, but a bloody hero bordering on a Saint.

Feck ‘em.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
It has some similarities with the music industry some 20 years ago or so ,when sites allowed shared files of records and enabled copying. Eventually paid and legal sites took over and now everyone streams through Spotify and others who pay royalties so it all settled down .

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
A couple of posters have referred to "buying an IPTV stick" and the sellers should be stopped [from selling].
I have two Firesticks, I bought one from Amazon and the other from Argos ...

This IPTV [access to 1,000s of worldwide channels] we speak about is via an app that you install on to the Firestick and then pay a subscription to activate and use. It's not the Firestick, its the app and it's internet material supply that is in debate.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I would happily buy this. I only want to watch Brighton matches anyway. I either listen on radio, go to a pub or watch at a friend’s house with Sky / BT when our games our on. I think it is ridiculous that someone in Australia can pay $6 / month or whatever and get ever game live.
But it is bloody great from my point of view!

That said, if it were UK type pricing it would not sell here as most Aussies just would not pay it. Too many other sports going on to hold their interest, the only buyers would be passionate ex pats. Overall it may raise more revenue for the clubs by being lower priced but selling more subscriptions.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
By using a VPN you are allowing the VPN provider to see all your data unencrypted. So make sure you choose a VPN provider that you trust. (Are there any?)
Yes, IPVanish.
They do not keep logs of traffic through their servers so cant be traced. Plus i use proxychains for extra layer of protection.

Sorry just heard a loud knock at the door, brb.....

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The Daily Mirror, you say? ???

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I would pay 30/40 quid a month for an Albion season ticket if the streams were 1080/4k 50fps and under 10 second delay.

I keep my sky/BT subs still on that basis.

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
3pm Saturday kick offs aren't shown on ifollow.

The 3pm ruling needs to be scrapped for any chance of deterring watching illegal streams.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
There's not enough police to deal with real crime, I'd not worry. But as mentioned a VPN or some kind of onion routing and they can't trace you anyway.
Ummm hate to burst your bubble here, but surely they’ll just borrow that special van that the Tv licensing people used to use? That thing can detect signals emitted from your screen, or something.

Dunno about you but I’m bricking it.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
The fact for all to see now is that the attendances are remaining strong across the EPL. Those watching a stream at 3pm on a Saturday are very unlikely to go to a lower league if the stream is stopped. The fact we can watch at home, even those games on Sky etc doesn't stop the club selling most games nearly to capacity.

To me they are all missing a trick, sell PPV for each club at a competitive price, still have Sky etc. The club PPV is based on a subscription that entitles you to purchase any game. Price it at a sensible but worthwhile figure, say £15 p/match offering different priced packages and so on. The streaming money has to be centralised to give all clubs a slice but perhaps weighted towards subscriptions. Make this UK only. In turn match the lowest tier seat prices to the stream package.

I have a ST, pay for Sky, BT and Amazon, I go to many away games yet still look for the option of watching on a stream when I can't go.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
The reality is that they absolutely can trace this if the resources are thrown at it, and they have the support of the ISPs. But to what end? Taking individuals through the courts for viewing a stream would be difficult and not likely to fall under criminal law. They’d do this as a deterrent and frankly it’s cheaper to just put scare stories in papers, as they are doing.

Like with all things, when the dodgy / ‘illegal’ solution (find a stream and close a few pop ups) is easier than the legit solution (buy at least three separate streaming services, physically go to all the games not shown / fly to other countries to watch) then the dodgy solution will ultimately win. They will never, ever stop that.

You have to out compete it - the Spotify example earlier being a great parallel.

For now, the parties involved (Sky and BT mainly) are learning that they probably can’t make money from the service given the crazy amount they pay. But they equally can’t give it up, so they need to come up with a solution or ‘illegal’ streaming will continue. If their solution is to up the subs. Then streaming will become an even bigger problem for them.

It took the record companies a long time to realise they couldn’t beat piracy, so they had to outcompete it.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
@PILTDOWN MAN I’m with you. The irony for me is that attendance at the 3pm Saturday matches are the least likely to be affected by streaming, since that is the ideal bloody time for a footy match! It’s possibly only the Sunday 7pm home matches that they’ll lose out on.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I'm convinced this story is complete rubbish and probably paid for by Sky/BT etc. Their talk of 'cutting edge digital tactics' stinks of modern day 'detector van' propaganda that was well establish lies.

Id wager they have very limited (if at all) ability to know who's streaming and who isn't, especially to any sort of evidential value, there's very little chance they could secure a prosecution for an individual doing so, they'd need a warrant to actually come without your permission (which they wont have the evidence to get), and they do not have the resource to doing this kind of policing.
trivially easy to get list of IP from a streaming service, or monitor ISP traffic for patterns.

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
It's time to get rid of these stupid no televised 3PM kickoff rules. It's ridiculous, you should be able to watch any game on TV if you wish, and it shouldn't be designated to f***ing Sky or BT.

No other country in the world does it, it's utterly stupid. I pay $150 a year for Fubo TV which gives me access to every Premier League game, UCL and Europa as well as some other European leagues. It was previously DAZN but they lost the rights this season.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It has some similarities with the music industry some 20 years ago or so ,when sites allowed shared files of records and enabled copying. Eventually paid and legal sites took over and now everyone streams through Spotify and others who pay royalties so it all settled down .
Ah, Napster and Audiogalaxy. Peer to peer file sharing. That opened the door to me to a whole bunch of new music, bands I'd never heard of that, later, I'd manage to see many times, like Mesh, Assemblage 23, VNVNation and Icon of Coil :love:

Personally I'd be happy to pay decent money to watch us on a dedicated stream/channel. My days of travelling the length and breadth of the country in a day are over and, if the problems I have with my back can't be fixed (they probably can, but its a slippery slope with an arthritic spine and a trapped nerve) I'll probably end up being an armchair arsehole. I'll need to be catered for. Innit.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Great news for Taylor Swift and Ed Sheeran (effectively Man Utd and Man City), absolutely disastrous for many others.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
FECE412F-5EBF-4138-8853-81BA0215A220.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here