Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Police to 'visit 1,000 homes' in MASSIVE crackdown on illegal Premier League streaming

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
New bills, Rwanda etc is the government not the police. Surely the government and police are not in cahoots over this?
1000 arrests (not that that will happen) is going to look good on the crime figures. I could be wrong but I think 'a crackdown on crime' has been mentioned at points over the last few years within political manifestos. Not many people look at what the arrests are for but people will be happy to see a 1000 more people arrested than last year. Some of them will even understand that the police are busy with other things and don't have the time to come round & look at ring doorbell footage when your house has been ransacked as well because they've seen the arrest rate increase.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
1000 arrests (not that that will happen) is going to look good on the crime figures. I could be wrong but I think 'a crackdown on crime' has been mentioned at points over the last few years within political manifestos. Not many people look at what the arrests are for but people will be happy to see a 1000 more people arrested than last year. Some of them will even understand that the police are busy with other things and don't have the time to come round & look at ring doorbell footage when your house has been ransacked as well because they've seen the arrest rate increase.
Have ‘arrests’ been mentioned ?

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Can't believe people are falling for this story.

The EPL and major broadcaster's plant these stories twice a year to scare people and it's clearly working..... Nothing ever happens.

What's also clear, judging by the amount of people panicking here is that a lot more fans are streaming games via IPTV these days !!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So, did anything happen?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Maybe I’m being a bit dim but these crooks seem to make lots of money yet when they show pictures of them at home they appear to live in an untidy, dirty hole. What do they do with the money?

Ok they might stash it away somewhere but it probably won’t take much for it to be traced.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Maybe I’m being a bit dim but these crooks seem to make lots of money yet when they show pictures of them at home they appear to live in an untidy, dirty hole. What do they do with the money?

Ok they might stash it away somewhere but it probably won’t take much for it to be traced.
Quickest way to draw attention to yourself if you have illegally gotten gains is 1) trying to deposit vast sums of cash you can’t explain 2) spending a lot of money

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Quickest way to draw attention to yourself if you have illegally gotten gains is 1) trying to deposit vast sums of cash you can’t explain 2) spending a lot of money
Good point. Making ill gotten gains look legal takes a great deal of effort and brains. Clearly this lot have failed on the “brains” side of it.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
It is mad this blackout is still in place. Surely it is a matter of time before the Premier League just shows every game live? I understand why they brought the law in in the first place, but so many people just watch streams now, it makes it completely pointless. They might as well cash in on it.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
It is mad this blackout is still in place. Surely it is a matter of time before the Premier League just shows every game live? I understand why they brought the law in in the first place, but so many people just watch streams now, it makes it completely pointless. They might as well cash in on it.
would they be cashing in though because those streaming now don't just stream games that aren't televised in the UK. I doubt that will change

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
Generally clamping down on free streaming would be bad for the top level game, IMO. Tbh I probably would slowly (quickly) tune out of the soap opera of PL football if I couldn’t access it freely and easily. Just being honest. I follow and support the Albion and have done for years but my wider interest in the permutations of results would erode almost entirely.

After the last few years of terrible governance, leading to an eye watering cost of living, it would be a huge own goal to stop (probably) the majority of consumers at the point of use.

Going to a game is a luxury, illustrated by the number of ppl that pay for the experience and to leave early. The game would alienate a lot of interest by putting up such a dense smokescreen when what they should do is actually make football much cheaper and more accessible.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here