Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Points Required for 6th Place - Us, Liverpool, Spurs & Villa Remaining Fixtures

Points required for 6th place

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Shins

Aug 13, 2015
This is based on the assumption that Liverpool will probably finish 5th because of their favourable run in. They haven't completely turned the corner and look vulnerable, but they're much improved. 5th spot is technically in our hands with games in hand but think it'll be place too far with our remaining fixtures. The team have done amazing things this year already so wouldn't rule out something special though.

It'll still be incredible if we don't quite make it to 6th place, either a sad but still excellent 8th, or the Europa Conference League hosting our first ever venture into European football. 6th place (or 5th) and the main Europa league competition is a different ball game though. I think it would give us more chance of hanging on to one or two players than the Conference League, plus maybe being a bit more persuasive for one or two coming in. Who knows. It's certainly not important at this point when we still have so much to look forward to this season.

Todays Liverpool win was big for us in what would have been an important point for Spurs.

The run ins. Colour coded for a rough prediction.

AlbionLiverpool Spurs Aston Villa
4th May - Manchester Utd (H)3rd May - Fulham (H)
8th May - Everton (H)6th May - Brentford (H)6th May - Crystal Palace (H) (c'mon Palace??)6th May - Wolves (A)
14th May - Arsenal (A) 15th May - Leicester (A)13th May - Aston Villa (A) 13th May - Spurs (H)
18th May - Newcastle (A)
21st May - Southampton (H)20th May - Aston Villa (H)20th May - Brentford (H)20th May - Liverpool (A)
24th May - Manchester City (H)
28th May - Aston Villa (A) 28th May - Southampton (A) 28th - Leeds (A) 28th May - Mighty Albion (H)

Liverpool - I expect them to pick up a minimum of 12 points, taking them to around 68 points

Spurs
- All is not well with them and up against an in form Palace then a crunch game against Villa. Brentford will fancy their chances and Leeds may well be fighting for their lives on the last day. They'll improve and take 7-8 points I think. Taking them to 61-62 points

Villa
- The toughest run in starting with a local derby against Wolves where SURELY they can't play as badly as they did against us. They will have a point to prove. They will need a win at Wolves and at home against Spurs before the Liverpool game if they have hope of finishing 6th.The pressure will be on them big time. A win and maybe a couple of draws from somewhere taking them to 58-59 points

The biggest danger is Spurs picking up 3 wins taking them to 63 points. This would leave us needing 4 wins, or 3 wins and a couple of draws with our superior goal difference. A bit of an ask.

Albion - Really hard to predict and feel like I've short changed us with only 2 more wins. We are SO good and such a dangerous team. Utd at home is obviously winnable. Hopefully by the time we play Newcastle they have secured Champions League and we come up against them with their foot off the gas. The Villa game is a coin flip if there is something for both teams to play for. 9-10 points taking us to 61-62 points

I think 61 points will be the number with our goal difference as I fancy Spurs to lose and draw two of those games, just not sure which. Whatever happens it'll be scary, exciting and we can be proud of wherever the team finish up! :albion2:

What do you reckon?

Last edited:

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Our GD could play a part here as it's so much better than that of Spurs and Villa.

I went for a conservative 63 points before the Wolves game and won't change it for now.

But 62 would be enough with the aforementioned GD in the event of Spurs or Villa getting 8 points out of their 12.

In the event of a draw when they meet on 13th May, neither could afford to lose any of their 3 other games to reach this total.

Either way, it's going to be more than United's 58 points for 6th last season.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I’ve been a bit critical of @Giraffe for peddling the downer on the conference league but now you say it, it would be better to get 6th and help with players - but 7th would still be amazing.

I think Liverpool will come 5th too.

Villas run in looks very tough and the fact they have to play Spurs and Liverpool is good and guarantees dropped points. I think we’ll come above Villa and will be clear of them by the final day so even a defeat wouldn’t mean they go above us.

Spurs look turgid at times but have shown some fight in the last 2 games and their fixtures are so tough to call.

I think we’ll lose at Newcastle but your point about them already securing CL by then is a good one and one I will be keeping an eye on. Much like Southampton already being relegated and City already having won the title.

I love this stage of the season when there’s something to play for - looking at every fixture for rivals and any excuse to gain an inch on anyone (like teams having nothing to play for)

Everton and Southampton at home won’t be easy for me - Thursday is pretty big for us as I don’t expect much / anything from Newcastle / Arsenal / City games… but we do like a surprise this season eh…

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
At the risk of cursing our efforts and helping Liverpool... I don't see why people are so sure Liverpool will cruise their run in. Their season has been so up and down. They've lost to Bournemouth, Leeds, Wolves, dropped points to Palace, Everton, Chelsea (the only game in the last 7 that Chelsea didn't lose!).

They drew the previous meeting with Fulham, lost to Brentford in their last game, Villa have been in great form and may be playing for their own European futures, Leicester will be playing for survival.

I'm not so sure it's so easy a run in for them.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Interesting you have liverpool down as drawing home to brentford but beating villa at home!

Anyway... shame that points to reach europa will be unusually high this season, but I don't see either of villa or spurs getting more than 9 points (esp of course as they play each other which is great for us). So 11 points needed. 3 wins and a couple of draws out of 8... that'll be tough but we can do it! Might not even need that though, and Villa have liverpool too which is also great for us... lots of twists and turns yet.

This is based on the assumption that Liverpool will probably finish 5th because of their favourable run in. They haven't completely turned the corner and look vulnerable, but they're much improved. 5th spot is technically in our hands with games in hand but think it'll be place too far with our remaining fixtures. The team have done amazing things this year already so wouldn't rule out something special though.

It'll still be incredible if we don't quite make it to 6th place, either a sad but still excellent 8th, or the Europa Conference League hosting our first ever venture into European football. 6th place (or 5th) and the main Europa league competition is a different ball game though. I think it would give us more chance of hanging on to one or two players than the Conference League, plus maybe being a bit more persuasive for one or two coming in. Who knows. It's certainly not important at this point when we still have so much to look forward to this season.

Todays Liverpool win was big for us in what would have been an important point for Spurs.

8th May - Everton (H)6th May - Brentford (H)6th May - Crystal Palace (H) (c'mon Palace??)6th May - Wolves (A)
14th May - Arsenal (A) 15th May - Leicester (A)13th May - Aston Villa (A) 13th May - Spurs (H)
18th May - Newcastle (A)
21st May - Southampton (H)20th May - Aston Villa (H)20th May - Brentford (H)20th May - Liverpool (A)
28th May - Aston Villa (A) 28th May - Southampton (A) 28th - Leeds (A) 28th May - Mighty Albion (H)

Liverpool - I expect them to pick up a minimum of 12 points, taking them to around 68 points

Spurs
- All is not well with them and up against an in form Palace then a crunch game against Villa. Brentford will fancy their chances and Leeds may well be fighting for their lives on the last day. They'll improve and take 7-8 points I think. Taking them to 61-62 points

Villa
- The toughest run in starting with a local derby against Wolves where SURELY they can't play as badly as they did against us. They will have a point to prove. They will need a win at Wolves and at home against Spurs before the Liverpool game if they have hope of finishing 6th.The pressure will be on them big time. A win and maybe a couple of draws from somewhere taking them to 58-59 points

The biggest danger is Spurs picking up 3 wins taking them to 63 points. This would leave us needing 4 wins, or 3 wins and a couple of draws with our superior goal difference. A bit of an ask.

Albion - Really hard to predict and feel like I've short changed us with only 2 more wins. We are SO good and such a dangerous team. Utd at home is obviously winnable. Hopefully by the time we play Newcastle they have secured Champions League and we come up against them with their foot off the gas. The Villa game is a coin flip if there is something for both teams to play for. 9-10 points taking us to 61-62 points

I think 61 points will be the number with our goal difference as I fancy Spurs to lose and draw two of those games, just not sure which. Whatever happens it'll be scary, exciting and we can be proud of wherever the team finish up! :albion2:

What do you reckon?
Great analysis, after yesterdays incredible bounce-back, we can do anything, but I’ll be proud whatever, and gutted if we miss out! We cannot afford to f*** this up! We might not get this opportunity again.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
If both Ferguson & Maguire are back playing for their teams on Thursday, I think there is every chance that we could be a point ahead of Spurs & Villa with two games in hand when they meet each other. The pressure on that game will be huge, and whoever loses will have lost so much momentum and will be dispirited - that the could well fall away.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Not completely ruling out Brentford yet either..

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
I can't see Liverpool winning 4 games. They almost blew it against Spurs, and actually were so open, Spurs could have scored 6 against them.
It is a possibility that they only get 4 or 5 more, although I suspect they will finish a point or two ahead of us. Both Villa and Spurs are definitely catchable, despite our run in.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Liverpool 5th, Villa 6th on 61, us 7th on 60, Spurs 8th on 59.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Would love us to win these next 2. It’s doable for sure with our confidence and both at home. That would put us in the driving seat for top 6 without a doubt…

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton

18th May - Newcastle (A)

Spurs

Villa

What do you reckon?
Nice work Shins !

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I think Liverpool have a realistic chance of catching Man Utd for 4th
Liverpool have to get 7 more points than Utd over the last 5 games. Can’t see them catching Utd personally.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Thursday is a massive game in terms of our final position.

Fulham and Brentford will both give Liverpool a tough game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here