Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Points needed for 2nd

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
these are the points totals of the clubs finishing in 3rd place. So we'd need a better GD or a point more than these totals to win promotion in those years gone by.
Oh god, not the 'point better than 3rd' thing again :eek:

No offence, and good work for the stats

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Oh god, not the 'point better than 3rd' thing again :eek:]

Time for you to step in with your average of 2nd and 3rd solution, methinks...

Actually what the history shows is that anything could happen. This is the first season I have exercised my mind over 'points required' and have now retired, safe in knowledge that it is all Mystic Meg bollox. Each game as it comes....

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
This is the first season I have exercised my mind over 'points required' and have now retired, safe in knowledge that it is all Mystic Meg bollox. Each game as it comes....
I too have retired, and my body alcohol level is no longer compatible with employment.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Of the 27 second tier seasons to span 46 games these are the points totals of the clubs finishing in 3rd place. So we'd need a better GD or a point more than these totals to win promotion in those years gone by. It looks like this season could be at the higher end of this list. Boro's PPG at the moment would have them finish on 87 points, so we'd be looking at 88 points currently.

1998 Sunderland 90
1993 Portsmouth 88
2001 Bolton 87
2000 Ipswich 87
2015 Norwich 86
2012 West Ham 86
2002 Wolves 86
1999 Ipswich 86
2014 Derby 85
2005 Ipswich 85
2007 Derby 84
1991 Sheff Wed 82
2006 Watford 81
1989 Crystal Palace 81
2011 Swansea 80
2009 Sheff Utd 80
2003 Sheff Utd 80
1990 Newcastle 80
2010 Nottm Forest 79
2004 Sunderland 79
1992 Derby 78
2013 Watford 77
1995 Bolton 77
1997 Wolves 76
2008 Hull 75
1996 Crystal Palace 75
1994 Millwall 74

This is incredibly helpful, although it has induced the predictable interpretations that we'll need a points total right at the high end.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Theoretically the Burnley game doesn't matter - they are very likely to finish top, and we can still get the required five or six victories, even if we lose to them. However, psychologically it could be very important. It'll be fascinating to see how we each approach that game....I rather think Burnley will be desperate not to lose. Could be a cagey 0-0....

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Theoretically the Burnley game doesn't matter - they are very likely to finish top, and we can still get the required five or six victories, even if we lose to them. However, psychologically it could be very important. It'll be fascinating to see how we each approach that game....I rather think Burnley will be desperate not to lose. Could be a cagey 0-0....
The Burnley game is massive because we have a chance of winning the title if we beat them. Be positive.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I disagree with that premise.

They are due a sticky patch still, although you could make a case that they're having one already with a series of unconvincing performances.

If we beat them and Middlesbrough win their game in hand it very much becomes a three horse race and they'll be under far greater pressure.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Oh god, not the 'point better than 3rd' thing again :eek:

No offence, and good work for the stats

Sorry I'm not aware of it ever coming up before. I had a choice of displaying points of sides finishing in 2nd or 3rd and 3rd felt like a more useful figure. Sorry if I'm wrong there.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
If any sage out there does indeed have the results of the next few weeks then please be so kind as to share them. A modest £5 wager and peace of mind would certainly aid the sleep.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
If we beat Burnley it halts their winning run and puts things in our own hands, they might then feel some pressure especially after throwing 2 points away in the Wolves game. We need to win the games we should win, Fulham, QPR & Derby at home and Forest & Charlton away and pick up points in all the others and we'll be in the top 2

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
If we beat Burnley it halts their winning run and puts things in our own hands, they might then feel some pressure especially after throwing 2 points away in the Wolves game. We need to win the games we should win, Fulham, QPR & Derby at home and Forest & Charlton away and pick up points in all the others and we'll be in the top 2

Never had you down as an Eve Petrulengro Enrest.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Sorry I'm not aware of it ever coming up before. I had a choice of displaying points of sides finishing in 2nd or 3rd and 3rd felt like a more useful figure. Sorry if I'm wrong there.
No it's not wrong, just something that got debated over at great, dare I say 'NSC debate' length.

Here's a summary:
I don't think there is a definitive answer. The problem is adding BHA into a season that already had 24 teams on their respective points. So if you add us (and make it 25 teams) a point above 3rd, we're still not as high as 2nd. Say 1 year 1st got 95 points, 2nd got 94 points, and 3rd got 72 points - would we really only have needed 73 points? If we had been one of those top two teams, yes, but whose to say we would have been. Or maybe we'd have needed 94 points + better GD. So a few of us thought the best guess was an average of 2nd and 3rd places to get the average amount of points a team will need to finish 2nd.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here