Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pogba - £100 million

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
The football bubble will burst eventually, deals like this will hasten the pop. £100m equates to their entire annual gate and matchday income, just for his transfer fee alone.

:nono:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It is a staggering sum of money for one player. A fee that would buy you the whole Albion squad, a sum that is more than three-quarters of the cost of building the Amex Stadium.

If you were a young United player - just breaking into the first team squad - you'd be afraid to tackle Pogba for fear of injuring him and the repercussions that would have on Man Utd's season and your own career.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
It's utter lunacy.

I've just read that Moussa Sissoko is the subject of two £35m bids from Juventus and Everton. Liverpool are on the verge of signing Wijnaldum, also from Newcastle, for £25m.

That's a combined £60m for two players from a team which performed miserably last season.

There's no way we can compete with that sort of money.

D

Deleted member 22389

The football bubble will burst eventually, deals like this will hasten the pop. £100m equates to their entire annual gate and matchday income, just for his transfer fee alone.

:nono:

I have been saying this to myself for the last 3 - 4 years and it just seems to be getting crazier. If Sky, BT don't pay anymore than someone else will. I wish the bubble would burst to bring clubs,players, agents back down to earth. I certainly couldn't afford to pay more for my season ticket than I am now, but I also have a limit on what I feel is value for money.

D

Deleted member 22389

It's utter lunacy.

I've just read that Moussa Sissoko is the subject of two £35m bids from Juventus and Everton. Liverpool are on the verge of signing Wijnaldum, also from Newcastle, for £25m.

That's a combined £60m for two players from a team which performed miserably last season.

There's no way we can compete with that sort of money.

Nope, and it makes me wonder what the point of it is.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I am now desperate for United to implode this season, win absolutely nothing and miss out on Europe. I always hope for that anyway but the combination of Mourinho and these outrageous transfer numbers would make it so much more satisfying.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Kinda backs up what I said in the 'Are you over last season thread?', namely:

"Didn't take me long to get over last season and I'm looking forward to next season.

However football (the PL, specifically, I guess) depresses me nowadays. Nothing to do with missing out on it last season, but more the huge amounts of money that are thrown around in that league – and consequently now more and more in the Championship. The whole thing is so much like an industry, rather than a sport. Talk of £20-30 MILLION pound players now seems normal and wages just seem to be crazy and showing no signs of coming down. Clubs are being run at a loss all over the place, prices are typically going up and the TV companies who have paid all the money to cover these games seem to think they can shift them around whenever and however they like.

While the media and a lot of the fans seem to be getting over-excited at the thought of these 'top, TOP' managers coming into the league to do battle, the whole thing leaves me a bit cold and wondering whether I want to be part of it if/when the Albion got there. Don't get me wrong, I want the team and the club to succeed, but I just have trouble trying to justify the whole new age of football that seems to be upon us.

I think it is the absurd amount of money being chucked about for mediocre players that I find most crazy. Fans expecting – no, DEMANDING – that squads are strengthened, just because. A classic case was yesterday when someone was talking about Sunderland and how they hadn't got any players in. In the next breath they were highlighting just HOW many players had arrived in January. The whole business is crazy, when I think about it.

I'm more than happy to go and watch the Albion, but the rest of football (including the national team) can, quite frankly do one as far as I'm concerned."

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
This has to be the worst bit of transfer business in the history of the game lol.

There's a lot of competition there. Surely Torres for £50 million is up there. Pogba at least has his best years ahead of him. However, letting him go so cheap and spending so much is not good value.

From watching the Euros, Pogba seemed very inconsistent to me. Certainly not up there with the likes of Bale and Ronaldo, who cost similar amounts. Would be really funny if he came back to United and failed miserably having cost £100 million.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/mar/23/paul-pogba-opens-up-on-experiencing-depression-at-manchester-united

Full credit to Pogba for opening up and admitting the depression he has struggled with at Man U. Nobody should have to suffer in silence and hopefully it can act as a vehicle for other high level sportsmen and women to be able to admit to the struggles they may face.

Looks like he may well be off in the summer which would be a real shame, he is a joy to watch and the EPL will be a poorer place without him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here