Plymouth to be deducted 10 points

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Brighton winger Craig Noone has sympathy for Plymouth

Noone scored six goals in 62 appearances for Plymouth
Brighton winger Craig Noone says he has sympathy for the financial struggles of former club Plymouth Argyle.

The 23-year-old spent over two years with the Pilgrims before joining the Albion in the January transfer window.

He told BBC Sussex: "It's a difficult time for the club and it's been going on for a number of months.

"I'm a Brighton player now so I haven't got to worry about anything going on at Plymouth but I look out for them and I hate to see bad things happen to them."

He added: "We weren't getting paid but the lads were getting on with it and doing what we could on the pitch.

"The reason I did leave was to help the club and benefit my career."

Brighton face Plymouth in League One on Tuesday, and the Liverpudlian has admitted he is still getting used to Brighton's passing style of play.

"Every day in training I'm learning and there's lot more I can learn from the lads and the manager.

"It's going to take time but I'm settling in well."

BBC Sport - Football - Brighton winger Craig Noone has sympathy for Plymouth

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
For want of looking stupid, why have they been deducted the points already ? All they've done is posted a Notice of Intent - they haven't yet gone into administration and a Notice of Intent doesn't necessarily mean they will.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
For want of looking stupid, why have they been deducted the points already ? All they've done is posted a Notice of Intent - they haven't yet gone into administration and a Notice of Intent doesn't necessarily mean they will.

Just a thought, but maybe they asked for it to be done now - knowing it was inevitable, perhaps they wanted to get it out of the way.

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
So tomorrow we face a side who will be either, gelled together in their adversity and who will play as they have not played all season! or one who is down and out, and there for the taking? My guess is the former

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
So tomorrow we face a side who will be either, gelled together in their adversity and who will play as they have not played all season! or one who is down and out, and there for the taking? My guess is the former

The first goal tomorrow will be MASSIVELY important. Score early and there's a chance they'll capitulate completely. If they get in front who knows?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You're all worrying too much. We'll batter them because a) we're MILES better than them and b) we need the points so will be sufficiently motivated.

3 or 4-0 I think.

horshamgreens

Feb 21, 2011
They are doomed! spending money they didnt have, deserve it.

Ah - you must be the board idiot ! Every messageboard has one...

Thanks to the rest of you who have the decency to realise that this is nothing to do with the fans of PAFC, we have been powerless throughout - a feeling which I know Albion fans probably appreciate better than most. Let's hope that we can one day achieve what you have with Falmer, a greatly deserved prize at the end of a lot of misery.

In the meantime, The Sussex Greens will be drowning our sorrows at the Evening Star tomorrow in now traditional fashion.

Mike

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Got to feel for the fans, but at least they will still have a team to support next season.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
The Argyle players will have to show superhuman reserves of resilience and passion tomorrow but I just don't think they will be able to given they season they have had to date, the 10 point deduction sending them to a likely relegation, not been paid for January yet and the general malaise at the club. I think a few of them will be thinking about their contracts and wages and where they are going to be playing football next season and I suspect if we score first and early they will show little resistance and be in for a hammering. A shame as I have a bit of a soft spot for them as I was stationed there in the Navy many years ago.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I think it's a rather different situation to Plymouth than at, say, Pompey (you KNEW I was going to use them as an example, didn't you :D) or Leeds.

Pompey spanked millions and millions on transfer fees and RIDICULOUS wages when attempting to reach and maintain their Premier League status, and spawned their way to two Cup Finals and into Europe on the back of players they quite patently could not afford on crowds of 19,000. Leeds did similar.

Plymouth haven't exactly been spending a fortune have they, it's more just the day to day running costs of sustaining a club that is, after all, bloody miles from anywhere and unless they're really doing well, attract crowds around the 7,000 to 8,000 mark. They've always had to pay slightly over the odds in player wages simply to attract players down that far west, otherwise they'd only ever have their own local talent and a few mediocre journeymen desperate for a job anywhere. I suspect a few directors thought they'd have a little gamble on the potential profits to be had from a successful England World Cup 2018 bid, the failure of which was seemingly the final nail in the coffin. Yes, clubs have to live to their means, but I have more sympathy for a club like Argyle than for some of the basket cases in higher divisions using administration as a financial cop-out.

Always had something of a soft spot for them, hence I'm probably slightly biased, but I do hope they pull out of it. They're a proper football club, with loyal support, and no pretensions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports