Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Plymouth match in Edinburgh

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith
I'll be in the Queens Arms on Frederick Street for the Plymouth match tomorrow. Jambo Seagull should be there too, along with a few of my mates and my dad (another lifelong Albion fan).

I popped in there last night for "research" purposes, and was told that they were definitely showing the game, and that if we could get a dozen or so people together they'd reserve us some tables and lay on a bit of free food. And I'm pleased to report they do a cracking pint of IPA in there - I became quite convinced of that during the course of my research last night.

I've got to ring them before 6 today to give an idea of numbers, so if you're up for coming along then reply to this thread, or PM or email me as soon as you can.

Cheers, hope to see some of you on Saturday. We should be in the back section of the pub (head right as you go in). I'm the one who looks a bit like Penfold off of Dangermouse.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
lol Penfold rules! Watched all the live footy in the Three Sisters last weekend, major lack of big screen though!

Incidently the Cricks in Southwick are showing the game but yet again they only advertise Premiershite :angry: But it is ON!

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith
CrabtreeBHA said:
lol Penfold rules! Watched all the live footy in the Three Sisters last weekend, major lack of big screen though!

Incidently the Cricks in Southwick are showing the game but yet again they only advertise Premiershite :angry: But it is ON!

Crabbers - I'm sure there was a big screen in the Three Sisters last time I was there - if you go all the way to the back and turn left, there should be one there.

Not much use to you now, I accept.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Sussex on Leith said:
Crabbers - I'm sure there was a big screen in the Three Sisters last time I was there - if you go all the way to the back and turn left, there should be one there.

Not much use to you now, I accept.
lol yeah abit late ;) there was a larger flat screen where you say, but I'm talking huge ass projected screen about the size of a wall!

fantastic barmaids in there too :)

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
And you're within staggering distance of top totty joint The Opal Lounge on George Street. Marvellous.

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith
bhafc99 said:
And you're within staggering distance of top totty joint The Opal Lounge on George Street. Marvellous.

I'm nowhere near posh enough to go to the Opal Lounge. I'm not even a member of the Royal Family.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Sussex on Leith said:
I'm nowhere near posh enough to go to the Opal Lounge. I'm not even a member of the Royal Family.

Nonsense, no-one ever threw me out! But if you don't feel able to mix it with Edinburgh's most nubile talent, then you should go the complete opposite end of the spectrum and head off to The Marksman on Duke Street - opposite ScotMid by Leith Links. Officially Britain's least glamorous drinking den.

Jambo Seagull

Jul 18, 2003
The Athens of the North
bhafc99 said:
Nonsense, no-one ever threw me out! But if you don't feel able to mix it with Edinburgh's most nubile talent, then you should go the complete opposite end of the spectrum and head off to The Marksman on Duke Street - opposite ScotMid by Leith Links. Officially Britain's least glamorous drinking den.

Oi! That's Sussex on Leith's local you're talking about!

Last edited:

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith
Jambo Seagull said:
Oi! That's Sussex on Leith's local you're talking about!

:lolol:

Not quite - my local used to be the equally glamorous Slammers, but that's been replaced with the Compass, which is really very nice.

And if that's ever too genteel for me, the Port O'Leith is only a short stagger away.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Slammers on the corner opposite the cop shop? Gone? I don't believe it. Gah, what's happening to Leith!

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith
bhafc99 said:
Slammers on the corner opposite the cop shop? Gone? I don't believe it. Gah, what's happening to Leith!

It's going all posh, that's what's happening.

The curry house next to Slammers is still there though, although it's changed its name. You can still order the stuffed whole roast lamb, complete with starters, rice, curry and belly dancers. We're in the flat above them, which is more than handy. No response from them yet on my suggestion they build a hatch between their kitchen and our lounge so they can hoist our dinner up to us.

I recommend the Sharazad Rooflifter. Pure unadulterated ringbane.

Gone off topic a bit here. I'd better ring the Queens Arms soon to give them an idea of numbers - any more Scottish Seagulls want to come along?

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Sussex on Leith said:
It's going all posh, that's what's happening.

We're in the flat above them

Jesus mate, where do you live? I used to live in Flat 22, 19 Johns Place - the big building (Bond 77) in the courtyard behind and above the curry place, you get into it from the other side (off Wellington Place by Leith Links)!?

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith
bhafc99 said:
Jesus mate, where do you live? I used to live in Flat 22, 19 Johns Place - the big building (Bond 77) in the courtyard behind and above the curry place, you get into it from the other side (off Wellington Place by Leith Links)!?

We're on John's Lane - the little side street that goes off Queen Charlotte Street, right next to the ever-so-salubrious Queen Charlotte Rooms (some things about Leith don't change). Our front room faces out towards the cop shop.

I know exactly where your old place is though - in fact I think my flatmate's car's parked outside there right now. And unless the car changes its mind and decides to start, it could be there for quite some time.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Sussex on Leith said:
We're on John's Lane - the little side street that goes off Queen Charlotte Street, right next to the ever-so-salubrious Queen Charlotte Rooms (some things about Leith don't change). Our front room faces out towards the cop shop.

I know exactly where your old place is though - in fact I think my flatmate's car's parked outside there right now. And unless the car changes its mind and decides to start, it could be there for quite some time.

Bastard - there were never enough car parking spaces to go round!

I can place your flat too, thinking about it there's two curry places aren't there - I meant the one on Constitution Street, round the corner from the one on Queen Charlotte Street. Still, we might have been near neighbours then, if for a while...

God, I'm getting all nostalgic. Only left 9 months ago but it seems like a lifetime ago. Sigh. :(

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith
bhafc99 said:
Still, we might have been near neighbours then, if for a while...

God, I'm getting all nostalgic. Only left 9 months ago but it seems like a lifetime ago. Sigh. :(

We wouldn't quite have been near neighbours, because I only moved in in November. I'd have been on Leith Walk when you were around, opposite the wonderfully named Chop Chop The Butcher's Shop.

Shame I hadn't discovered the joys of NSC back then, we could have met up for a bevvy. Give me a shout if you're ever back up this way though.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Will do! Have a good night on Saturday.

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith
bhafc99 said:
Have a good night on Saturday.

I hope so...

Back on topic - I've phoned the Queens Arms back and they're reserving some space for us from 5pm, in the back right section next to the gents bogs (don't worry, there are no ventilation issues here, it's not Slammers you know).

Cheers to those who've emailed me to say they will/might come along. If anyone else is interested, post on here or get in touch before the match. If we get a few more definites then I'll call them back and they'll lay on some free food, so try to let me know if you're coming.

Failing that, just turn up and join us for the game. I reckon Leon's going to put paid to Plymouth's proud defensive record, myself. (You can probably tell I haven't been to a game for a while...)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here