Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Plumbing question

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Hi

Out the back of my house I have a copper pipe at ground level and it’s dripping constantly which started on Friday - and it’s not the garden tap before some smart arse asks.

I have a combi boiler at the front of the house, and upstairs a water tank and a red expansion vessel thing. The pressure on this reads 1.8 bar which I think is high , so I’m guessing it could be the excess from that but not sure ? Can’t get my usual plumber out for a few days so thought I’d ask here because 1) it’s driving me mad, 2) concerned the water bill might get a bit high

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I would wait a couple of days for your usual plumber, especially if he knows your house and plumbing / heating system.
Not sure why you have a combi boiler and also a heating expansion vessel and also a water tank, my guess is you haven’t got a combination boiler.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I would wait a couple of days for your usual plumber, especially if he knows your house and plumbing / heating system.
Not sure why you have a combi boiler and also a heating expansion vessel and also a water tank, my guess is you haven’t got a combination boiler.

Sorry yeah it’s not a combi ! Glow worm flexicom 24hx

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Is the water tank an unvented hot water cylinder or a normal copper cylinder with a cold water storage tank in your loft?

Hot water cylinder which does sound like it’s constantly ‘on’

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Hot water cylinder which does sound like it’s constantly ‘on’

If you have got an unvented HW cylinder it could be a couple of reasons why you have the leak outside, or it could be the heating expansion vessel.
As mentioned it’s best to wait for your plumber as he will need to investigate the exact fault, there probably isn’t much you can do following advice on here.

If you have an immersion heater fitted to your cylinder it may be worth turning off the boiler and heating the water by the immersion for a couple of days……the dripping may stop.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
If you have got an unvented HW cylinder it could be a couple of reasons why you have the leak outside, or it could be the heating expansion vessel.
As mentioned it’s best to wait for your plumber as he will need to investigate the exact fault, there probably isn’t much you can do following advice on here.

If you have an immersion heater fitted to your cylinder it may be worth turning off the boiler and heating the water by the immersion for a couple of days……the dripping may stop.

Thanks. Yes I do have an immersion heater fitted so I’ll give that a go as an interim !

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Having a mare with this - had a plumber (same company that installed it) out 2 weeks ago. Decided that the expansion tanks needed replacing and water was flowing out to the tundish, and outside. They’ve been struggling for parts apparently…

Come back today to find water on the upstairs hallway floor , and on the roof / wall below in the lounge. Looks like water has been coming out faster but isn’t going straight down the tundish , but rather 1 side , but missing the pipe and flowing down the outside ?

Plumber coming back out tomorrow to see what they can do before getting the expansion tanks replaced, but sounds badly designed / installed to me ?

Bones

Oct 25, 2006
Portslade
So the other day I turned on the central heating to 'test' before winter. Run for a few minutes then cut out. Checked the boiler and pressure had dropped. Thought maybe air in system so bled all radiators then topped up boiler pressure. Turned heating back on and same happened after about 10 minutes. Now I don't have any heating or hot water! Had hot water before I tested heating! I topped boiler up once more then noticed small amount of water dripping from the boiler. Outside the copper condensate pipe??? was also dripping constantly. Both seemed to stop when boiler again lost pressure.

Can't find any evidence of leaking radiators or pipework, but obviously most of its under the floor.

Its a Potterton Heat max Combi. Probably 7/8 years old.

Anyone any ideas?

Sent from my TFY-LX1 using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We’ve had exactly that many a time.

The last, back in the spring, the engineer said he knew the cause immediately. An internal component had furred up with calcium, apparently very common obviously being in a chalky rock area.

He replaced the part, the dripping stopped and the pressure dropped to a normal bar.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
So the other day I turned on the central heating to 'test' before winter. Run for a few minutes then cut out. Checked the boiler and pressure had dropped. Thought maybe air in system so bled all radiators then topped up boiler pressure. Turned heating back on and same happened after about 10 minutes. Now I don't have any heating or hot water! Had hot water before I tested heating! I topped boiler up once more then noticed small amount of water dripping from the boiler. Outside the copper condensate pipe??? was also dripping constantly. Both seemed to stop when boiler again lost pressure.

Can't find any evidence of leaking radiators or pipework, but obviously most of its under the floor.

Its a Potterton Heat max Combi. Probably 7/8 years old.

Anyone any ideas?

Sent from my TFY-LX1 using Tapatalk

The condensate pipe should be plastic.
Looks like the pressure relief valve is letting by through 15mm copper pipe.
This pipe goes to the outside as well.
Someone that is not retired (me) should get on this thread soon to help.
Other than that 'Pavilion Plumbing & Heating may be able to help.

Last edited:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
[MENTION=25123]SIMMO SAYS[/MENTION]

Saw this review on Screwfix website for a 28mm tank connector, thought you may find it amusing :lolol:
(Top review commenting on the bottom one)

1A1CB073-FB1E-4AC3-9596-FFD05E3525B4.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here