Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Please convince me that I have not wasted almost £500 on an iPad Air

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
Probably, I have an iPod so if I've referenced the electronic shop by its incorrect name then I apologise profusely.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
No, no it was my real life example. I spend EVERY lunch hour on my own, in the corner of Starbucks. I also go in there for my breakfast on the way to work, and pop in for a skinny, decaf, frappelatte on my way home.

(Or I would, if there were such a place within 10 miles of my home or office)

These people tend to have a laptop rather than a tablet, it's difficult to write your best selling novel on a tablet. Oh and they require at least FOUR comfortable sofas to themselves, you need somewhere to pop your manbag and research notes.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Probably, I have an iPod so if I've referenced the electronic shop by its incorrect name then I apologise profusely.

I wasn't being facetious, there is a distinct difference between the App Store and iTunes though. You aren't limited to purchasing music and other media solely through iTunes for an Apple device, however for the apps you are (unless you've jailbroken your device).

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The OP doesn't sound like a graphic animator so for general use there is very little difference. Apart from I can download and upload what I like rather than what's in itunes.

My nearly 2-year old iPhone 5 has never touched iTunes. Nor has my iPad mini nor iPad Air. I think the Apple haters are still trotting out the same old nonsense they used 2 or 3 years ago.

My iPad Air is my companion for commuting trips and to load up with video I just hop onto my main computer (a Mac, naturally) and select what I want to watch. It transfers wirelessly, using VLC, to my iPad and a couple of minutes later I'm good to go. The video file can be in any format - it plays them all.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
My nearly 2-year old iPhone 5 has never touched iTunes. Nor has my iPad mini nor iPad Air. I think the Apple haters are still trotting out the same old nonsense they used 2 or 3 years ago.

My iPad Air is my companion for commuting trips and to load up with video I just hop onto my main computer (a Mac, naturally) and select what I want to watch. It transfers wirelessly, using VLC, to my iPad and a couple of minutes later I'm good to go. The video file can be in any formatl - it plays them all.

No interest whatsoever in a petty tennis match Bozza, but try and stream an MKV from your cloud.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
To be fair, a 2013 Nexus 7 is comparable to a 2013 iPad mini which you can get for £200...

I wasn't making a specification comparison though. The Op is having problems watching TV on a tablet, something that worked well for him on a Nexus 7. Could he have used his money more wisely investing in stuff that is better suited to watching TV and still retained the ability to surf the web, read Emails and lark about on social networks ?

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
I'm fairly sure VLC plays mkv files doesn't it?

Does if they're on the tablet, if you stream however then there is no way that I can ascertain to make VLC the default player and so the file is not recognised.
If anyone knows better however, am happy to learn for future!

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Does if they're on the tablet, if you stream however then there is no way that I can ascertain to make VLC the default player and so the file is not recognised.
If anyone knows better however, am happy to learn for future!

Aah OK I just load my video files up onto the tablet in VLC and watch from there so didn't realise there was a problem otherwise.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
We'll I backed everything up to the cloud, and then did a reset. What we failed to spot was that due to the problem that I have (constantly searching for iOS updates) that means if I try to do anything requiring a strong wifi connection then it fall over. Therefore I have just spent the best part of 2 hours having to switch one airplane mode and then switch it on again it order to kick it back into operation and eventually regain all my apps etc from the cloud. It has solved nothing. Basically I have a piece of junk that does not work properly. I know that you apple fans will say that that's really rare, and I will take it to the apple store and kick up one hell of a fuss until they replace it, bit personally this has made me never really want to use any of their products again. I know this sounds overly dramatic, but this was bought principally for my wife, I blew the budget to get it and it is a piece of faulty crap. I feel really let down.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
We'll I backed everything up to the cloud, and then did a reset. What we failed to spot was that due to the problem that I have (constantly searching for iOS updates) that means if I try to do anything requiring a strong wifi connection then it fall over. Therefore I have just spent the best part of 2 hours having to switch one airplane mode and then switch it on again it order to kick it back into operation and eventually regain all my apps etc from the cloud. It has solved nothing. Basically I have a piece of junk that does not work properly. I know that you apple fans will say that that's really rare, and I will take it to the apple store and kick up one hell of a fuss until they replace it, bit personally this has made me never really want to use any of their products again. I know this sounds overly dramatic, but this was bought principally for my wife, I blew the budget to get it and it is a piece of faulty crap. I feel really let down.

Don't forget you need to make an appointment!! You can't just walk into the store and get technical support/repairs/replacement.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

You've been very unlucky. Apple sell tens of millions of tablets a year - more than anyone else. If they all did what yours is doing then they wouldn't be shifting as many as they do.

If you sell a product in that volume then some will go wrong no matter how good your quality control is.

I would much rather than have a piece of Apple kit go wrong than anything else as I know they'll resolve it, and make sure you are happy. Sadly that's a rare thing now.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London

Luckily you bought an apple product, meaning as long as you haven't had it for a full 12 months, they will replace it with a new one in the shop. Try doing that with an android tablet older than 28 days.

D

Deleted member 18477

One of my best purchases ever! Since I purchased the Ipad 3, I have only switched on my laptop about 5 times in total and only to transfer songs to my ipod! Use my ipad everyday!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here