Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Please...anything but "Amex Arena"

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Whatever we each individually say now, I guess the most commonly used name will evolve with time.

What will Jeff Stelling say on Soccer Saturday when he goes to "Tony Millard at ...." to report a goal for the Albion?

It's more likely to be 'The Amex Stadium' than 'Falmer'!

Last edited:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
It need not have just on universal name. Just ask a West ham fan what their ground is called and you seem to get a history / geography lesson with the answer rather than a simple "Upton Park".

For me, it may depend on how long the association lasts with Amex. If we switch to "The Lloyds TSB Community Stadium" in 2016, I would probably revert back from calling it "The Amex" and just settle for dear old "Falmer."

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
It'll all change when we're in UEFA tournaments, anyway...

Due to UEFA regulations on stadium sponsors, during UEFA Champions League matches the stadium is not officially referred to as Emirates Stadium, as Emirates are not an official sponsor of the Champions League competition; other stadia, such as the Allianz Arena in Munich, have fallen foul of this rule before. UEFA refer to the stadium as Arsenal Stadium, which was the official name of the stadium at Highbury.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003

It`ll be just plain old lovely Falmer when I go.

No stadium, no Arena.

Agreed.

And if you have to add something, I always feel that a puppy dies when we call a football ground a stadium. That's why Simon Inglis's classic book is called 'Football Grounds of Great Britain', not stadia/stadiums. Surely we were only calling Falmer a stadium cos it sounded better with 'community ...'.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
[Pedant alert]

Sand is actually 'harena' in Latin - not quite sure when the 'h' got dropped

It must have been by a Cockney

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
I think that the Amex Arena sounds great and it'll fit perfectly for the rock concerts and monster truck rallies that it'll hold over the summer months.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here