[Albion] Playing out from the back

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I thought the reason we appeared to struggle is that Biss was missing, normally we have Biss and Lallana to play into from the back, all we had was Lallana and he was closed down which didn't give us so many options.

Is the correct answer.

Take out chief disrupter out of the line up and the opposition can commit to a full press on our defence.

With Biss there, he not only gives the defence the out ball, but also keeps them mindful of their defensive responsibilities.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Watching Match of the Day last Saturday, it was noticeable how little teams were fannying around at the back - sorry, wash my mouth out with soap and water, I should have said 'playing it out from the back', particularly the top teams. And no, they weren't playing hoofball.
They were moving the ball fast, and moving it forward, sometimes with a long pass or two. Football styles, or fashions if you prefer, develop and move on - maybe the mantra of endlessly rolling the ball to each other in and around your own penalty area is one tactic that is coming towards the end of its fashionability? I for one won't be sorry of it is.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
thpp.jpg

I imagine this post says "LOOK AT ME" and as it is a Saturday that should be filled with excitement and hopefully joy its just fair to be generous:

Oh there you are, I'm so triggered, you really upset me and so forth.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I don't think the oppo have cottoned on to Duffy, I think it's widely known what his weakness is. However, this season in the middle of the three, he has been drilled to play two touch, control and pass out to the other two CBs. I think he missed Biss against Palace, because that is his preferred (or drilled) third pass, Sanchez 4th.

I think it's because he is moving it on so quickly that he is looking so good. However, I do think Biss is very important to that and that Lallana and Pascal don't do that option as well. Biss making space to receive is as important as Webster's ability to carry and missing both those aspects effect us.

We tend to play the weakest CB on the ball in the centre role and last season that was Dunk, playing to White and Webster's strengths.

Good post. Not sure I agree with all of it but, if Dunk is the weakest CB on the ball, things can't be that bad, can they?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Good post. Not sure I agree with all of it but, if Dunk is the weakest CB on the ball, things can't be that bad, can they?

That's just a reflection on how good Webster and White were going forward last season. Just a shame about Ben defending, but this is NSC, Brilliant/Crap and no points in between :wink:

He'll get a big round of applause from me tonight, folllowed by dog's abuse. It's exactly the way NSC would want it :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports