Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Players We Were Forced to Sell Off Cheaply For Financial Reasons. Could We Field A Team Of Them?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I'll make a start with the goalkeeper, Mark Beeney, sold to Leeds for next to nothing in 1993 due to our severe financial plight at the time.

Many others players of course have suffered the same fate over the years. Let's have a few names, can we form a team?
We got a decent fee for Beeney, didn’t we? Couple of hundred thousand if I remember right, which was a lot for a 2nd division GK back in the early 90s.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Bareth Garry. Seagull on head on Brighton beach or whatever the quote was from Villa prick John Gregory
The silver lining was that Villa/cnt Gregory arrogantly deemed £3,000 to be fair compensation.

Dick Knight fought them all the way, ultimately we banked £1,075,000 as Barry’s career progressed. The PL were brilliant, enforcing payments, as childish Villa later tried it on.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Doesn't fit the brief, hardly sold for financial reasons!
'For financial reasons' is, to me, a fire sale.

Zamora was not fire sales. We were soaked by the Saunders sale - it could hardly have been to raise spare cash (I see from a post by Lenny that we couldn't afford his salary). In the case of Zamora, he was obviously too talented for a tier 2/3 club.

Beeney was the epitome of a player sold for financial reasons (i.e., it was alleged his sale saved the club).

All the others are moot. You could argue that all the players sold in the last 2 years were sold for financial reasons. Or for football reasons. Or because the player really wanted to leave and we are not the sort of club to dick about.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Adam Virgo
The opposite! We got £1million for a player who had a little streak of form in tier 3 and score a few goals. Old pals act between two ex team mates managing Brighton and Celtic. Went on to do nothing. That was a robbery, not a fire sale.

(It also came out of the blue. Only a week before the sale I'd bought a new away top with Virgo's name on it :ohmy: )

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
But 60,000 more than the club were prepared to accept, things were so bad they were prepared to let him walk out of the club and rip his contract up.

Didn’t we have to sell Danny Cullip to Sheffield United to plug the financial gaps?
I didn't know that (Saunders). So that deffo counts.

Cullip sounds less plausible.

Enjoying Paris still or are you home now?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Bareth Garry. Seagull on head on Brighton beach or whatever the quote was from Villa prick John Gregory
That was theft, not a fire sale. I don't believe we had any fire sales after Dick Knight took over.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
For a club that's spent the majority of our time at the arse end of the leagues, we've very rarely been 'done' on players. Saunders is the obvious example, but Beeney, Virgo and Cullip were all very good deals for the club, and I don't remember Gus's tapping up of Bridcutt and Buckley working out particularly well ???

Maybe I've missed an obvious one, but I can't think of any at the moment, although I can't recall how much Freddie Goodwin gave us for Stewart Henderson :shrug:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
When we were really skint, we didn't have anyone worth selling because we were so dire.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Saunders is the standout for me. Beeney sold off cheaply?! Liked him but the fee was inflated surely due to Wilko. I always thought Nelson £55k to Charlton was way too cheap but then 87 was my first season and he had a wonder season.
Famously Wilkinson came down with authority to go to £1.25m from the board but Lloyd asked for £325k the amount we owed HMRC in unpaid NI contributions

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Not sold, but we let Ian Wright go after a trail as we couldn’t afford to sign him on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here