Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Players we SINGED who turned out to be better than expected

matt

Mar 19, 2007
There are plenty of players who ended up being disappointments, but what about players who surpassed expectations...

Going back a bit, but Keith Dublin and Doug Rougvie had both been part of a Chelsea team with a reputation for comedy defending. I think Dublin was our Player of the Season before being sold to Watford for a decent pile, and Rougvie captained our promotion-winning team in his first season with us.

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
I think Shane Duffy wins this twice. Just before he signed, he played a game for Blackburn in which he conceded two own goals (iirc) and got sent off. This was when we were being linked with him and I remember thinking "god no". Then he joined us and proved me wrong.

Then he had that stinker of a loan spell in Scotland and came back and was awesome for us again. I thought he was clapped out at that point, but he proved me wrong again.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Caicedo - Considering he had signed for us and took over 12 months to make his premier league debut I had lost any mediocre expectations that I initially had upon signing. He was so far beyond my expectations

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
When we signed Mitoma, I thought that if he was any good then at 24 he’d already be playing at a decent level and have a few full international caps. I reasoned that he’d just be a squad player brought in to help raise our profile in Japan.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
In a years time .... " yeh, I was never keen on the idea of us signing Lakonga. But since he fired us to domestic and european glory, I've learned never to pre judge an albion signing again"

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Would Knockaert come into this discussion?

I remember thinking he was an OK signing having done pretty well at Leicester (barring that Watford penalty miss debacle) but my word he turned out to be one of the most exciting players I'd ever seen. And his partnership with Bruno took it all to another level.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
The return of Dean Hammond.

Especially after Naylor teased us about “Albion legend set to return” on transfer deadline day 2012, sending everyone into excitement about the return of Zamora and 30 minutes later the club announce the signing of Dean Hammond on loan

And in my memory he was pretty good second time around

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here