Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Players to sell / release

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Yes that's fair comment.

However, based on his form at the beginning of the season, (and if he could maintain it) i would actually have KLL over Murphy and Skalak.

I know, I know, I'll get hammered but it's how I feel. Skalak is a good player, but did he do more than KLL this season? He does cross a better ball, and a pre-season may see him edge ahead.

Same with Murphy, his delivery is probably as inconsistent as KLL's, he has less pace and a weaker shot. Perhaps he tracks back better, but that's debatable as well.

Before anyone says anything I accept KLL has been very poor since his return.

I sort of see what you are saying.The KLL in August was electric. I think our game has developed as the season has gone on though and currently it appears when he is on he slows the play up a bit. He delivery is also suspect as you have rightly pointed out and it seems pointless if you can beat your man but can not pick out a man in the box. I think I've seen enough of Skalak and AK to say they will be out 1st choice. They compliment each other superbly. One is as tricky a winger i have seen, with a fantastic delivery and skill set and the other is a genuine goal threat but can cross at pace from 30-40 yards. His set plays have caused everyone in the division this year problems and has added a dynamic to our game which we did not have before. Murphy also has a suspect delivery at times but is a goal threat and March could be an Ace in the pack next year if he returns anywhere near the form before his injury he could be the best of the lot and rip this division to shreds. I'd go as far to say those 4 alone would give us the best options in the division as all 4 could easily play in a top 10 side.
I'd personally let KLL go if the price was right but it is a tough call. He has something but we see it in short bursts and for his own development he needs to play every week and I thick he will be 5th choice if he is still here

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
One of the Sunday papers suggested we are in for Marshall of Blackburn again. If to be used as a right wing back would that make Bruno and Rosenior the back up full backs or would he be the back up?

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Days on its still a bit soon for me. Happy for the club to be doing what they have to, it's professional football, but for me the wounds need to heal first.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Surely we have to wait until pre-season to judge the players abilities and then Chris and his management team will make the right decisions then.We could have a few surprises from underperforming players then
Waiting until pre-season is the worst thing we could do! I'd be very disappointed if CH and co. aren't already well ahead of us on NSC with regard to business to be done over the summer!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I sort of see what you are saying.The KLL in August was electric. I think our game has developed as the season has gone on though and currently it appears when he is on he slows the play up a bit. He delivery is also suspect as you have rightly pointed out and it seems pointless if you can beat your man but can not pick out a man in the box. I think I've seen enough of Skalak and AK to say they will be out 1st choice. They compliment each other superbly. One is as tricky a winger i have seen, with a fantastic delivery and skill set and the other is a genuine goal threat but can cross at pace from 30-40 yards. His set plays have caused everyone in the division this year problems and has added a dynamic to our game which we did not have before. Murphy also has a suspect delivery at times but is a goal threat and March could be an Ace in the pack next year if he returns anywhere near the form before his injury he could be the best of the lot and rip this division to shreds. I'd go as far to say those 4 alone would give us the best options in the division as all 4 could easily play in a top 10 side.
I'd personally let KLL go if the price was right but it is a tough call. He has something but we see it in short bursts and for his own development he needs to play every week and I thick he will be 5th choice if he is still here

We still have Solly March to come back from injury, so I agree with you that KLL is dropping down in choice for the first team.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
One of the Sunday papers suggested we are in for Marshall of Blackburn again. If to be used as a right wing back would that make Bruno and Rosenior the back up full backs or would he be the back up?

I am exceedingly worried about Knockaert being poached, so this news just adds to my paranoia.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Remember next year there are no emergency loans. We'll need 2 for every position, plus a 3rd GK, and a couple of versatile others who can play in multiple positions. After that the development squad has to plug the gaps. IMO...

Stockdale
Maenpaa
Walton
Ankergren (release)

Bruno
Calderon (release)
Rosenior
Bong
Chicksen (release)

Greer (release)
Dunk
Goldson
Hünemeier
Rea

Kayal
Stephens
Sidwell (end of loan)
Crofts (release)
Towell
Ince
Forster-Caskey (sell)
Holla (sell/release)

Knockaert
March
Murphy
Skalak
LuaLua (sell??)
Manu (sell/release)

Hemed
Baldock
Wilson (end of loan)
Zamora (release)
O'Grady (sell/release)

So we'd need a full back, a centre mid and two forwards. The centre mid might be Sidwell - maybe not - but I'd keep Ince as we've seen his quality when in a 3 man midfield, he's still an asset if we were to change formation for one reason or another.

Chicksen, Crofts, Greer, Calderon & Ankergren should all be let go for me. O'Grady, Holla & Manu - sold if anyone will take them, paid off if not. Caskey should fetch a mill or two which would put some money back in the pot, and for me it's the right time for Kaz to move on - young enough to return decent value and give him a fresh start, and already way down the pecking order of wide players.

After that it's a case of renewing Kayal & Stephens' contracts, and trying to resist bids for our other assets. That said, we've seen that to strengthen without parachute payments means you have to be pragmatic. Selling one key player for £6m+ could fund three decent replacements. It may be that Dunk, March, Goldson or Knockaert could be a launchpad for us to strengthen. Just so long as we don't lose more than one, in which case we'd need major rebuilding.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Although they won't all stay Zamora, Greer, Calderon and Ankers are very much part of the excellent club spirit we have in the dressing room, and we'd be foolish to lose them all at once.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I think Ankergren and Calderon will join the coaching team,

I don't -- Calderon is on Duracell batteries . He wants to continue playing, he is just that type of guy and that's good but at the level we want to play at now you can't carry passengers.

We need to up the standard of our squad. Ultimately we failed against the top sides in the league this year so to solve that we need to up the standard of player we bring in

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Waiting until pre-season is the worst thing we could do! I'd be very disappointed if CH and co. aren't already well ahead of us on NSC with regard to business to be done over the summer!

They are miles ahead of NSC

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I'm in the Baldock-not-first-choice club. I like him and his sprints into the box, but his touch and his finishing just aren't good enough for me. He could well be one of 3 or 4 battling for a spot, but I would hope we pick up something a little finer and with more goals in his boots.

Agree with most of this.

Absolutely we need a first choice striker to be finding the net more frequently than Sam has , but would argue that I think his touch is excellent.
I think he offers a good option off the bench as fresh legs against a tiring defence.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
How about you pay their wages and they can stay in the dressing room next season?

you jest, but its an interesting dynamic of the team that may be worth the cost. we see how some teams can be full of quality but missing something, leaders, training ground and dressing room presense, that make a intangible yet substantial difference. likewise teams without quality can perform better than the some of their parts, because they do have those leaders. fortunatly for us, i think there are a bunch of other leaders and voices in the team to make up for the lose of those 4.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
For me

1. 2 Strikers that impact the 1st XI - Expensive but the missing link.
2. Cover in CM - I'd keep Ince, JFC not sure might be best if he went. Crofts/Sidwell don't offer enough anymore IMO. If we shift Holla too the budget should allow for at least one good one and an up and coming to push. (Dack maybe?)
3. LB - Really not sure on Bong, defensively he is a mess, but going forward he looks a good player. I think he needs genuine left footed competition.

RB/CD/Wings - Happy to go with what we've got, especially if it free's up wages for the right forwards We cannot strengthen everywhere and stay in budget. Obviously dependant on keeping our better players which will be the real test...

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Looks like Elvis could finally be leaving the room.
Interest from Turkey according to Naylor.

I personally would be gutted, he looks like he has got the right attributes to be a top player but something hasn't quite made him click. I expect when he does leave he will become a success elsewhere and we shall all wonder why it never happened at Brighton

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here