Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Players spitting

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Seems nobody knows the answer. I don't recall seeing women footballers spitting on the pitch, or tennnis players on the court, yet those sports still take physical exertions.

Remember when Sergio Garcia picked his ball up and gobbed in the hole he'd just bogeyed - there was uproar. Male footballers though...its just the "done thing".

Weird.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Seems nobody knows the answer. I don't recall seeing women footballers spitting on the pitch, or tennnis players on the court, yet those sports still take physical exertions.

Remember when Sergio Garcia picked his ball up and gobbed in the hole he'd just bogeyed - there was uproar. Male footballers though...its just the "done thing".

Weird.

Saliva thickens through exercise, and is difficult to swallow as a result - so it's easier to gob it out. Loads of studies been done into it (example below). I find it much worse when running in cold weather compared to warm weather. I do think there's a degree of habit-forming as well though.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5192515/

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
And typical of the absurd advice people have chosen to take.

As far as spitting is concerned, that Pep Guardiola takes the biscuit. He spend the entire 90 minutes spitting out little while flecks of something. Sick? Sour grapes? Biscuit? ???

Paella

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Not much spitting in the Six Nations, as far as I can recall.
It really does seem to be an affliction mainly affecting footballers.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Someone should tell Zaha the dirty f*cker

I can't believe that nothing was done about that. Well I can but it's just bloody gross that he didn't get punished for gobbing at Schelotto.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I do like it when it backfires on the spitter though. Roy Hodgson became his own spit victim the other week on MOTD when he spat and the "whitey" stuck on his lip and chin.

Seriously though I would support the integration of a pocket on the shorts of football kits for a snot rag or tissues for those nasty greenies.

I might even start a petition making pocketed football shorts a required specification of the football kit.

Arrid

Jul 26, 2004
A totally unnecessary habit that somehow has become acceptable on the football pitch (god I'm getting old).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here