colunga 5
baldock 5
tex 6
Lua Lua 8
CMS 6
mc court 7

Albion 4ever

Feb 26, 2009
Whilst I don't think that Baldock was MoM, he had a decent game. Worked hard in the channels and held the ball up ok. The problem is (& it has been the same for 4 years, barring the rate occasions Vicente played) that no one wants to support the main striker. He is so isolated!

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Holla 8 - MoM
The rest 6, except for KLL: 7.

I know we are only 8 Championship games into the season under a new manager and with several new signings still finding their feet. I don't think it is time to panic just yet. I normally keep an open mind until the new manager has had until at least Xmas / New Year before I express an opinion either way. Neither Gus or Oscar had great starts but did remarkably well.

However there is something uneasy about Sami's approach that is giving me some concern. I think it is the sacrificing of our mean defensive record under Gus and Oscar in favour of a greater emphasis on attack, which is currently misfiring. But the main concern is the lack of a consistently coherent formation and the rather ponderous performances from the players, as if they are not quite on each others wave lengths.

Oscar's style was a gentle evolution from Gus's style. Whereas Sami has largely ripped up the tactics we would recognise. To be fair Sami doesn't quite have the calibre of players to work with that his predecessors enjoyed. Maybe it will all click, given a bit more time, but there are some tough fixtures ahead.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Just bumping this thread above the Ipswich match thread hopefully stopping people getting confused.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
All 6 except Jfc 3, Portuguese Joe 5.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Stockdale 6
Bruno 6
Bennett 6
Greer 7
Dunk 6
Holla 7
JFC 8
Crofts 6
Colunga 5
Baldock 3
Tex 6

CMS 7
Lua Lua 8
McCourt 9

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Stockdale 6
Bruno 6
Bennett 6
Greer 7
Dunk 6
Holla 7
JFC 8
Crofts 6
Colunga 5
Baldock 3
Tex 6

CMS 7
Lua Lua 8
McCourt 9

Please tell me the 8 for JFC is either a typo or a wind up.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
Stockdale - 6
Bruno - 7
Bennett - 6
Greer - 7 - MoM
Dunk - 6
Holla - 6
JFC - 5
Crofts - 5
Tex - 6
Colunga - 4
Baldock - 6

KLL - 6
McCourt - 7 - More class in 10 mins than the majority above showed in 90.
CMS - 5 - difficult for him to get into the game

Sami - 3 - Sorry Sami, but Blackpool were so deep Holla was redundant, he should have been pushed further forward much earlier, arguably even in the first half. JFC should have been withdrawn for McCourt with 90 to go......

corrected for you!

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Stockdale - 7 - Done what was needed to keep a clean sheet

Bruno - 5 - Tried his best but not a winger
Greer - 6 - Steady
Dunk - 7 - Looked good again, hopefully his Ipswich nightmare has now gone
Bennett - 6 - Could not beat the LB for toffee, not a winger

Holla - 6 - Part of a midfield which was missing creativity
Crofts - 3 - Seemed unfit
JFC - 5 - Wasn't the worst
Teixera - 5 - Looks like 1 good game in 5, he is young so will hopefully improve

Colunga - 2 - WHY?
Baldock - 4 - CMS stereotype needs some-one to play-off

Subs:

Lua Lua - 8 - Looked the best player on the pitch when he came on, in hindsight should have got longer
CMS - 5 - Just don't see goals in him
McCourt - 7- looked classy along with kaz, needs to start a game

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Any chance they're following the manager's (possibly ill-advised) orders here?..

Quite possible, and maybe why so many are questioning JFC and Crofts. The reason they are coming in for criticism might be because they are spending so much time filling in for the FB's. That then puts all the responsibility on Holla and Tex to make things happen through the middle and neither of them really sparked yesterday.

I think I can see what SH is trying to do and I believe it can work but maybe we lack the quality and pace (requires tons of movement) to succeed. Or maybe it just needs more time to bed in?

I'm still positive regardless!

Ralphingtonpuss

May 27, 2010
Nottingham
Stockdale...Stopped the chance they had and didn't have a lot more to do other than distribute the ball from the back 7

Bennett...Played ok, would like to have seen him go further down the wing and put crosses in 6
Greer...Marshalled the defence well, some passes good some not so good, harshly booked for a shoulder charge 7
Dunk...Played really well with GG, they both covered each other well, he won 98% of the headers. 7
Bruno...Played well and looked good going forward, one mistake (still Stockdale will feel good about the save) 7

Holla...Ok, never looked threatening from midfield? 5
JFC...Not sure? Needs to put in better corners 5
Crofts...The shot he had ok, apart from that not effective enough, not giving the team enough going forward 5
Texiera...Awful first touches, too many times lost the ball, not a good day for him, should have come off a lot earlier 4

Colunga...He got the early attempt on goal completely wrong, unlucky. After that hardly noticed him 5
Baldock...It was very noticeable at the game he made lots of runs along the back four, unfortunately the midfielders ignored this or just didn't see it, shame!!! 6

Subs...
KLL...Made a difference, he went forward taking on players, making passes, winning free kicks and having the odd shot....Other midfielders please take note quickly!!! 7
McCourt...Playing against ten more who were just defending, did and looked ok but let's see with more game time and match fitness what he can do? 6
CMS...Same as Baldock, don't play to his strengths and no good passed coming from midfield for him 5

Ref...5

I have listened to all the other games this season so far on player. Having now watched the team yesterday I can relate to other fans comments on here regarding how weak and poor we look going forward, especially in the last third. LD and GG can't continue to be solid or better in defence and end up having to be our best forwards also. The midfield is very weak on effecting the game and picking out a defence splitting pass for the forwards to run onto. Hope it improves eh?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Stockdale 7
Bruno 6
Bennett 6
Dunk 6
Greer 6

Holla 6
Crofts 4
JFC 6
Tex 6
Colunga 5

Baldock 6

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
From the stream...

Stockdale - 6. Not much to do. One good save towards the end. Good distribution

Bruno - 6. Good going forward poor at times when tracking back.
Greer - 5. Kept getting turned as he was marking his man too tightly.
Dunk - 7. Won everything in the air. Solid defending.
Bennett - 6. Same as Bruno

Holla - 6. Solid enough.
Crofts - 3. Poor.
JFC - 6. Everyone marking him down for his corners but played some nice passes. Played a beauty in the second half to the back post. If that had been Vicente people would be wetting themselves with delight.
Tex - 4. Never got in to the game.

Colunga - 4. Should of scored in the 1st minute. After that he was clearly disheartened. Easily shrugged off the ball.
Baldock - 6. Lots of running around. Always looking for the through ball that never came.

KLL: 6. His usual impact sub appearance. Troubled tiring defenders.
McCourt: 6. Some very nice touches.
CMS: 5. Didn't really notice him all that much. Apart from winning a corner that the ref wrongly gave as a goal kick.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I never tire of reading your stuff.

P.s I completed 19 hail Meadsies ::thumbsup:

:) thanks. Am down on earth again now, in steamy Madrid, less worshipped. It felt weirdly wonderful for the first time being on a plane and talking online. It was a different kind of special to the one I normally feel. Will be back up there on Tuesday though, spewing out judgements from the clouds only pestered by other deities. I love Norwegian Air. £35 each way and free WiFi.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Stockdale - 6 - Dealt with the little he had to do very well. Some good distribution
Bruno - 6 - Would have been a 7 if Miller had not nearly profited from his mistake in the dying minutes
Bennett - 6 - A good option pushing forwards
Dunk - 7 - Had a very good game. On the one occaison Greer was outmuscled he covered for him. MOTM.
Greer - 6 - Sublimne pass midway through the first half, switching it to Bennett. A couple of shaky moments
Holla - 6 - Looks a very good player, a cut above most of the drivel
Crofts - 5 - Not at the races
JFC - 6 - Scapegoated as ever but I think he is growing in stature and is actually starting to tackle a bit more and get involved.
Tex - 6 - Not as prominent as he can be. The backheel in his own box was classy bit oh so risky
Colunga - 4 - Fluffed the best chance of the entire game.
Baldock - 6 - Looked up for it. Ran and ran all game. I thought he looked alright and couldn't believe he went off

McCourt - 7 - Great cameo
Lua Lua - 6 - Frustrating as ever
CMS - 5 - Woudl have rather Baldock finished the game

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Stockdale 6

Bruno 4 - Can't defend, and his delivery was consistently poor
Greer 7
Dunk 6.5
Bennett 7

Holla 6.5
Crofts 4
JFC 4
Teixera 6

Colunga 4
Baldock 4

Subs:

Lua Lua 6
CMS 5
McCourt 8

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Thought I'd leave it a day or so to gain some balance:

Stockdale 7 - Had to be sharp to stop us from losing that game
Bruno 5 - Ok going forward but his concentration nearly cost us the point
Bennett 6 - Decent
Greer 7 - Solid if unspectacular
Dunk 7 - As Greer but is our most potent attacking threat at the moment
Holla 6 - Ok but he's being played too deep. Ince, Toko or Bruno need to be used behind him to allow him to get forward more
JFC 6 - Not as bad as people would have you believe but not that good either
Crofts 5 - Completely anonymous. Works hard but we need more than simple graft
Colunga 5 - Also completely anonymous. Terrible attempt in the first minute after a good run
Baldock 5 - Ran a lot but not an upgrade on CMS so far. Looks like another player that will get lost in whatever system we're playing at the moment
Teixeira 6.5 - Was genuinely surprised to see him hooked when he looked most like creating something

CMS 7 - Worked hard as usual and provided a different option. Should be starting IMO
Lua Lua 7.5 - As usual, livened up the game
McCourt 8 - Looks like he's strolled off the park for a game but had a real positive influence.

Overall, we should have won given the amount of shots but this was a team playing against a Blackpool side with zero ambition. 10-11 men behind the ball and no quality. He might not be that much cop but we could have used O'Grady today just as s different type of player. Colunga, Baldock and CMS are all to similar and are therefore interchangeable.

I'm disappointed but not devastated and it stopped the rot if nothing else.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Average Ratings

Highest Rated:
>McCourt 6.82 (16mins, 31 votes)

The Rest:
>LuaLua 6.45 (33mins, 30 votes)
Greer 6.44 (97mins, 33 votes)
Holla 6.41 (97mins, 33 votes)
Dunk 6.32 (97mins, 33 votes)