Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Players comments about team formations

face in the crowd

Jan 20, 2006
I am a bit disturbed by the amount of interviews over the past year or so with players that say they didn't know they where playing until an hour before the game or they don't know what formation they will be playing (Butters todays argus). Gary Hart has been quoted several times saying he was not aware he would be playing up front until he saw the teamsheet.

Now I am not familiar with the way professional football teams operate, but surely you would spend time in training practising playing the formation that you intend to play at the weekend - especially the forwards as they need to develop an understanding.

Is this something unusually to our club or is this common in professional football?

sagaman

Dec 25, 2005
Brighton
Fair point. I worry about the way we keep chopping and changing.
It can do nothing for thr confidence of the players either.

I personally think we should be playing 4-2-4
But what do I know I could be called Steve McLaren

face in the crowd

Jan 20, 2006
Re: Re: Players comments about team formations

Hiney said:
If this interview was done on Tuesday or Wednesday then it's probably fair enough to say that the final formation hasn't been decided.

I think (I could be wrong) the Press normally get their player quotes on a Thursday afternoon.

Last edited:

face in the crowd

Jan 20, 2006
Lord Bracknell said:
Forget systems. Rememember the value of pace and playing skills.

If we're not careful, the Albion will end up like England ... defeated by too much planning.

The trouble is that we aren't overly blessed with either comodity.

It is refreshing to hear Butters talking about going back to basics.
There is a common theme amongst our more experienced players like Carpenter, Hart, Oatway and Butters. None are blessed with great pace, all are hardworking, they all tackle hard and they are all limited when in possession. Until we can replace these players, we should concentrate on being hard working and hard to beat thus playing to their strengths.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
What concerns me more, both in the England team, and Albion, is that we spend too much time playing players out of position and playing a game that seems so foreign to the skills of the team.

The England game seems so slow and pedestrian - yet when these guys play each week with their clubs, they are anything but pedestrian - why instruct them to play differently?

The Albion game seems to lack pace and often ends in hoofing the ball up the pitch as people aren't in a position to play a passing game?

Befuddles me that players wouldn't know what position they are playing ALL the time...

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
Re: Re: Re: Players comments about team formations

face in the crowd said:
I think (I could be wrong) the Press normally get their player quotes on a Thursday afternnon.

Thursday is the usual day but they do press, I think, in the morning, and the latter part of the week is spent working on shape etc

Last edited:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Butters said maybe we should kick a few people. He is dead right. Time to get amongst them and ruffle a few feathers like we did under Adams, Taylor and Magoo (the season we stayed up)...

At the moment I get the feeling we are a soft touch. Southern softies springs to mind.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
That is one of the reasons that I like Hammond as a player. He doesn't show much fear when going in for a tackle. He will pick up a suspension now and again but it certainly hurries the opponent to get the ball away quicker - leading to the odd mistake.

Last edited:

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
Butters said maybe we should kick a few people. He is dead right. Time to get amongst them and ruffle a few feathers like we did under Adams, Taylor and Magoo (the season we stayed up)...

At the moment I get the feeling we are a soft touch. Southern softies springs to mind.

Likely to increase our string of red cards, but I say go for it. Thats what Santos is for!

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
Re: Re: Re: Re: Players comments about team formations

Race said:
Thursday is the usual day but they do press, I think, in the morning, and the latter part of the week is spent working on shape etc

Always wondered why tank bunked off on thursdays:lolol:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
tedebear said:
What concerns me more, both in the England team, and Albion, is that we spend too much time playing players out of position and playing a game that seems so foreign to the skills of the team.

The England game seems so slow and pedestrian - yet when these guys play each week with their clubs, they are anything but pedestrian - why instruct them to play differently?

It's incredibly frustrating with England. It seems to be accepted wisdom(at least amongst the England set-up) that you can't beat the top teams playing our traditional style of football. We have to be more European etc. This apparently equates to a more 'patient' game plan. Which is fine if patience means not panicking if you haven't scored after an hour and not lumping the ball forward aimlessly. However, the England team and management seem to have mistaken lethargy and playing incredibly slowly for patience. It drives me crazy! A prime example was the trinidad game in the world cup!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here