Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player ratings

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Brezovan 7 - Tend to start keepers on the team average then +/- depending on how well they do what they have to do. Didn't seem to kick it out long as much as he did v Leicester where he had such accuracy, but with the conditions, that is understandable. Wasn't really tested, but have marked him up half a point simply for that moment he lingered on the ball drew a Huddersfield player then turned him and played the ball out to ward. Amused me.
Bruno 7 - Strong performance
El Abd 7 - Strong performance, deserves credit given his rare appearances for Egypt sounded like they were the performance of a man not getting much game time but he seems to have slipped in just fine with us
Upson 6.5 - Not as notable as the right side of defence
Ward 6 - Some poor touches in advanced positions, again, not as notable as the right side of defence
Bridcutt 6.5 - I might give him an extra half point, but I noticed him giving the ball away quite a lot, picking the wrong pass, when under pressure
Ince 6 - Some good moments, some anonymous moments
Agustien 6 - Same as Ince really, some lovely turns and ball winning tackles, some questionable decisions
Lopez 6 - Put in some good corners and set pieces (though one or two hit the first man, and these were met by those around me as if all of them had fell short)
Buckley 5 - Poor game, rarely where he needed to be, and is too soft in the challenge. He could win so much more possession if he wasn't afraid of tackling, or being hit by the ball
Barnes 6 - A lot of people will probably focus on his misses, I though the first bounced awkwardly and the second was too narrow an angle for him to score from even if he'd got it on target, but worked hard, didn't seem to go down as easily, good effort in defence as well as on the attack, and the effort can't be denied, he was regularly the only option in the box because he always put the effort in to get there (though didn't receive the ball too often)

Lualua 6 - no effort to get back and help in defence, no looking when crossing so wasted his opportunities with the ball
Ulloa n/a- Didn't really get a chance to do anything.

I am almost certainly going to relocate if I renew. The people around me are just too irritating. They have no sense of perspective, no idea that there are two teams playing.

Today one guy near me had a bee in his bonnet about Agustien, calling him a poser because one of his passes was intercepted, yet praised other players in similar circumstances.
At one point Ward or Upson played a long ball (hoofed?) it toward the half-way line, Agustien (I think, might have been Buckley or Barnes, I forget the specific identities) took it down and played it back, one of those passes that come from the same touch that was used to control the dropping ball, and it rolled back to Bridcutt, but before the ball had a chance to roll to Bridcutt there were people moaning about possession being wasted. They didn't even wait for the ball to be played and they were moaning about something (a loss of possession) that never materialised.
Huddersfield strung a few passes together, worked it out to the wing and there were the sort of frustrated cries that seem over the top when you concede a goal. It was completely ridiculous. You play 90 minutes, your opponents are gonna have time with the ball. It's not wise to send every player diving in to win possession back ASAP. Sometimes it's about patience, blocking off their options, forcing them back, or into areas you want them, etc.
Two players close together one of them heads the ball behind and the ref gives a goal kick, you think it should be a corner; are you justified to call the referee a paedophile?
People around me, people who haven't missed a game, were acting as if this was the worst performance ever seen at the Amex. These people were at the Barnsley game. They were at the Sheffield Wednesday game. They were at the play off semi final. They were at the watford game last season.
They urged Ince forward, encouraged him to shoot, then when he ran out of space and all his passing options were marked and he lost possession, people criticised him for not passing.
They criticised Oscar and Jones for giving Ulloa instruction before bringing him on ("he knows how to score FFS")

It wouldn't be so bad if there was degree of humour to it, a tongue in cheek at the banality and the hypocrisy, but it is all uttered with anger and venom and unfair/disproportionate disappointment. It's just taking less and less for people to go off these days. I would say something, but it's not just one person, it's as if there's a collection of moaners in the area and my friends and I are in the minority.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Bruno 9, everyone else 7.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Most of this is right, although Barnes 3, you must be joking. Fair enough, he missed a few chances, but he also created many, and put in his usual shift. Bruno was if anything worth a 9 and, in the second half in particular, was simply superb.

Barnes has done very well recently but wasted four good chances today and should have got us the three points. Maybe 3 was a bit harsh but 4 would be a justified rating.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Quite surprised to see Agustien getting fairly high marks. I thought he was poor today, although I accept that coming back from injury is always difficult.

Bruno head and shoulders MOTM for me in among some very mediocre performances from the rest of the team. I don't think the conditions did anyone any favours and it seemed like just one of those days where we wouldn't have scored if we had played until midnight, despite stringing some half decent moves together. Huddersfield were never really in the game. Happy to come away without having our pockets picked and settle for the point personally.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Brez 6 - did ok but almost a couple of hairy moments. Kuz back please.
Bruno 7.9 - at times brilliant, but also absolutely woeful on a couple of occasions so reluctant to give an 8
El-Abd 7 - he's slotted back in easily.
Upson 7 - solid and consistent as ever.
Ward 7 - more and more impressed with him, went on a great run in the second half.
Bridcutt 7 - not his best game, but still class.
Ince 6 - not quite up to the level of his other recent performances
Agustien 7 - good game. Less wild passes and trying to play too fast. Surprised he was subbed.
Lopez 6 - wasted a few good dead ball opportunities, though granted crossing was difficult given the conditions.
Buckley 4 - poor game. Had some great chances to make something happen, messed up every time. Looked badly off the pace.
Barnes 7.5 - Fantastic all round effort. Should have scored one of those chances, but just didn't seem to be his day.

Subs:

Lua Lua 6.5 - always looks our most dangerous player, should have been given longer to make an impact.
Ulloa - Not on long enough to score

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Three yards out open goal and free header far post 'half chances' ?

Horribly bouncing ball, and narrow angle with a few bodies in the way who would have had a good chance of blocking the header certainly allow for some downgrading. Downgrading as much as half a chance? Well I don't know, I suppose that depends on your positivity/optimism/blind support levels.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Horribly bouncing ball, and narrow angle with a few bodies in the way who would have had a good chance of blocking the header certainly allow for some downgrading. Downgrading as much as half a chance? Well I don't know, I suppose that depends on your positivity/optimism/blind support levels.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying he is shit, but come on they were far more than a half chances

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
As an aside, I thought the ref was very good today. One of the best refs we've had at the Amex for quite a while.

I thought he spent periods of the game giving us nothing, and giving them a free kick every time a player went down. Then periods where it was reversed (fortunately their possible penalty claim occurred as he was starting to give them nothing). But other than that he was ok. He had a word with their keeper early in the second half about time wasting when we were still getting ready for a corner rather than further delaying at a goal kick.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Three yards out open goal and free header far post 'half chances' ?

I didn't see if that was him at far post, so didn't penalise him

The other he was running in and from where I was the ball came back at him and bounced horribly up and at pace, the best in the world couldn't have controlled that

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I didn't see if that was him at far post, so didn't penalise him

The other he was running in and from where I was the ball came back at him and bounced horribly up and at pace, the best in the world couldn't have controlled that

Despite it was very awkward.. A chance three yards out with no keeper centrally in front is always more than a half chance.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Buckley - 5- Why playing so narrow? When he got wide with the ball he looked capable but he was far too central for my liking

He looked capable of what? He hasn't beaten anyone for pace in 12 months, he doesn't attempt to challenge for the ball, he doesn't track back with any real intent. When he gets the ball he doesn't look where the goal is, he looks for the nearest corner flag and runs at it.

He has to be Wendy Wilkins' love child there's no doubt about it.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Brez - 5 Could have gone and done his Christmas shopping
Bruno - 9 - Best player on the pitch and somehow the sponsors saw it different, madness
Ward - 5 ok
Upson - 7 so much better when Greer's not around
AEA - 7 good
Bridcutt - 4 poor
Ince- 6 Bridcutt's position higher up the pitch stopped his runs, a shame!
Agustein - 6 something missing not sure what!
Lopez - 6
Buckley - 2 awful an embarrassing 77 minutes, no effort no passion
Barnes - 4 - he got in the positions but missed sitters. oh and moaned too much................again

KLL -7 only one who caused any real problems by running at them ..Buckley take note.
Ulloa -n/a but should have been on so much earlier

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Most of this is right, although Barnes 3, you must be joking. Fair enough, he missed a few chances, but he also created many, and put in his usual shift. Bruno was if anything worth a 9 and, in the second half in particular, was simply superb.

What were the chances that Barnes created then? He should have got his far post header on target and late on in the second half he chose to shoot wide from the right side of the box rather than square the ball. Wouldn't mind but the shot wasn't anywhere near being on target!!! Have to agree with others that the chance 3yrds out was not really his fault but caught him on the knee.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
What were the chances that Barnes created then? He should have got his far post header on target and late on in the second half he chose to shoot wide from the right side of the box rather than square the ball. Wouldn't mind but the shot wasn't anywhere near being on target!!! Have to agree with others that the chance 3yrds out was not really his fault but caught him on the knee.

I don't believe that was a shot, it looked more like a miss-hit cross.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Brez - 6 (flapped once, and almost collided with Adam, played okay though)

Bruno - 9 (MOM by far)
El-Abd - 8 (made no mistakes, and made several froward passes which were good, marked Vaughan out of the game too)
Upson - 7 (solid as always)
Ward - 7 (made a good runs and defended well)

Lopez - 8 (looks to be back to his best, good passing, positioning and crosses)
Ince - 6 (didn't really do much as Huddersfield didn't threaten the midfield much)
Bridcutt - 6 (didn't play as well as he can, robbed Bruno for MOM)
Agustien - 7 (some excellent balls, but tried to do too much and run into defenders without looking like getting around them)
Buckley - 4 (didn't look match fit)

Barnes - 5 (unlucky when the ball bobbled up and hit his knee when he had an open goal, should have given Ulloa and Lua Lua more time)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here