Player ratings;

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

nick c

Mar 29, 2008
bn26
For those of us not there, player ratings please,also crowd ratings(different stands please).

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
barnes superb first half,painter at fault for first 2,brez for 3rd,midfield 3 all good.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Ankergren 7
Calderon 7
Greer 8
Dunk 7
Painter 5
Sparrow 7
Dicker 8
Lua Lua 7
Bridcutt 8
Barnes 7
Mickail-Smith 7

Subs
Brezovan 4
Noone 5
Others really didn't do much.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Ankergren - 6 - Need to see the goals at a loss as to how they went in, in the first half, both looked defensive errors.
Calderon - 7 - Steady.
Painter - 7 - tough assignment against Lennon who he kept quiet, so they swapped him with Bale, who Paints struggled against.
Greer - 9 - Outstanding. MoM good call by the sponsors.
Dunk - 7 - Steady throughout
Lua-Lua - 7 - Great goal, final product not always the best.
Dicker - 7 - Usual steady performance
Sparrow - 7 - Got through a lot of work.
Bridcutt - 8 - Accomplished performance throughout.
Barnes - 7 - Led the line well.
Mackail-Smith - 7 - Industrious throughout

Brezovan - 5 - Oh Brezo, what were you trying to do!!
Noone - 6 - didn't do a lot, but always difficult as a sub
Buckley - 6 - Quiet, but see Noone
Vincelot - 6 - Ok
Bergkamp - on for 3 mins - no rating.

A good outing for everyone, roll on Doncaster.....

Last edited:

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
Bridcutt was MOM for me, thought he read the game really well to make some important interceptions. Greer and Sparrow sound. Front line of CMS and Barnes hard working and caused problems

Afraid apart from a cracking goal thought Lua Lua was pretty poor. Several opportunities to put in a good cross but end product wasn't there, sure he'll improve.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Until Bale switched flanks Lennon and Bale were marshalled very well by Painter and Calderon, harsh on Painter consiering what he was up against...you dont come up against Gareth Bale every week.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Thought Painter was pretty useless. To give him a 7 teddy maybank. ???????????????????????

Sorry you do know he was against England international Lennon and when he swapped to the left was against a lot of people's player of last season Gareth Bale who clubs would pay silly money for.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
=One Teddy Maybank;4263235]Ankergren - 6 - Need to see the goals at a loss as to how they went in, in the first half, both looked defensive errors.

They were certainly defensive errors BUT, more importantly and sadly comically, GK errors. We can't afford that sort of thing in the Championship !

Painter, I think, did not have one of his better days as was implicated in the first two goals.

As for PB, no need to say anything there !

Three Mickey Mouse goals against us whilst we scored two crackers !

super ads

Jul 14, 2009
Sorry you do know he was against England international Lennon and when he swapped to the left was against a lot of people's player of last season Gareth Bale who clubs would pay silly money for.

Ok but how do you think he would get on against noone and lua lua......... not very well me thinks. I know those 2 play for us, thank god, but there will be wingers as good as those 2 in this division.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003

I thought he did well for the most part,but it was 2 defensive errors that cost 2 goals.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
We have nothing to worry about with Painter or Calderon, just cut out the errors is all we need to do.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I thought Casper wasn't very good. He didn't seem as composed on the ball (though obviously still better than brez), but I don't recall him making a save, I remember him flapping at one cross, which fortunately spurs had no one on the far post to tuck it away, he was saved by the cross bar, one shot went over him when he was poorly position, the other seemed to go right under under him. I'm not saying either goal was his fault, but you would expect a goalkeeper to do better with them.

Greer and Dunk, I thought played very well. I was particularly impressed by Dunk who didn't look out of his depth, and Greer did well marshalling the defence.

I thought painter did as well as you would expect a championship left back to do against two of the better wingers in the premier league, especially gareth bale, but he did seem to get passed too easily for the two goals.

Calderon did ok, he was always trying to make himself available.

Dicker/Sparrow were very good. Sparrow got away with a blatant push in the build up to our first goal.

Bricutt was fantastic in the first half hour, then seemed to lose the ball a lot, and his passes became more wayward.

Lualua was great with his speed and had the beating of his man almost every time, they were resorting to fouling him early in the game, showing how dominant he was, but his left foot crosses weren't great (the only time he put a decent lefter in no one was in the box). Well taken goal. Played a part in the second spurs goal toe poking it into the path of the spurs player.

Barnes was very good. He has taken a lot of criticism in the past, often disproportionate to his mistakes, or to what other players got for the same errors/sortcomings, so I was pleased he got the first goal. I was a little concerned because his first contribution was to get turned really easily by assou-ekotto, bu within two minutes he had returned the favour dispossessing a-e.

CMS was a work horse.

Brez, made two errors - one when he took too long, but he closed the player down and tackled him putting the ball out, the second when he overcompensated that mistake and rushed his clearance to the spurs player. Not the first professional keeper to make such a mistake and won't be the last, but it cost us a goal. He went some way to making up for that with a fantastic save in the top corner.

Romain Vincelot/Buckley I didn't really see enough of either to form an opinion.

Noone made a couple of runs but didn't seem to play as well as I was expecting given his form in early pre-season.

Bergkamp not much to comment on in his playing, but his shorts looked really tight!

That the goals we conceded were of our own errors was quote comforting, I thought, in that if we work them out, we were quite a match for spurs. Though in the second half we didn't seem to have the same flow on the ball, and it seemed more difficult to get the ball off spurs.

North stand was immense for their singing. Almost constant, but that new song toward the end was brilliant, both as a catchy tune, but also for the way they sang and sang and sang, almost ten minutes non-stop.

WSU was disappointing They had a chant or two early, then late in the game. They responded to 'west stand, what's the score' with a short, quickly fading 'albion, albion albion' chant. I thought H block was being split in the north and west upper so had higher expectations from WSU.

WSL was as quiet as I was expecting. There were applause, and cheers, and very very occasional singing, but as I was expecting that, it wasn't a disappointment. I thought the family stand would be a bit louader

garethjamesuk

Jan 6, 2004
Eastbourne
Ankergren 6
Calderon 7
Greer 8
Dunk 7
Painter 5
Sparrow 7
Dicker 7
Lua Lua 8
Bridcutt 9
Barnes 8
Mickail-Smith 8

Subs
Brezovan 3
Noone 5

I thought it was a close one for man of the match to me it was between Bridcutt and Greer, but i was very impressed with Mackell he is very unselfish isnt he, works the channels and is really good at holding the ball up, his goals will come but i love that he is a team player.
Lua Lua scared Tottenham, if he could just put over some better crosses as some of them was awful today, but he still played really well, im hoping he didnt hurt his hamstring as saw him holding it as went off.
Thought was a smashing day today, really enjoyed myself, we played pretty well and gifted tottenham the 3 goals they scored, after seeing todays performance i believe we will have a good season, as we have some very good players.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
ground: 10/10
pies: 9/10
beer: 8/10 (Harveys available and even the Kronenburg was OK, decentish cups though solid plasitc would be better)
team: 7/10. held there own against decent premeirship side. Painter suffered being up against best English winger and arguably best wing in the world right now. midfield and defense did their jobs. CMS very busy but wont win much in the air. keeper... very suspect.
trains: 5/10. hope they can arrange some 6 car trains on matchdays to speed things up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports