Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Player Ratings - West Ham (H)

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Is this a mistake?....Knockaert 9?....That rating equates to " outstanding "
It was a performance full of everything that is currently letting him down in the PL. Passing without looking. Snatching at shots. Continually ' overplaying ' Losing control of the ball, when running freely with it. Poor and inaccurate crossing. Agreed, he put a shift in but you need more at this level and he could offer more.
I really hoped this season that the management team were going to get hold of him and rein him in. The razzle, dazzle, twisting and turning and trying to beat the same player more than once, doesn't work at the highest level. Its all about quick, simple, accurate football played with pace and skill. All the over-playing and mistakes, that we all overlooked at Championship level, because he was a potential match-winner, are exposed in the PL.
The frustrating part is that when he keeps it simple, he looks very good. Surely the management must see this but over and over again we see him trying to do too much, losing the ball and then the inevitable flounce, sulk or hissy fit follows. Playing the way he does, he will not win us games at this level and will slip back to being a bit-part player, rolled out for short, cameo roles in home games.
The hardest part is getting him to change and if he can't, then his future at this level is limited.

Although I gave him a ‘6’, I feel this is a little bit of a harsh summary for Saturday.

Snatching of shots - agreed
Overrunning of the ball - once
Doing too much - at times, but nothing new
Crossing - disagree
Hissy fits - not this time that I noticed, may be I just missed them or don’t see them anymore.

We look much better when he plays IMO, we’re more of a threat because generally he occupies two players. We’re faster on the break and more incisive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants
I don't get this. Yes, Bong's energy, rampaging runs, tackling and enthusiasm were generally very good but he does give the ball away a lot, both with his passes and throw ins, esp in the first half

I must have been at a different game go you, 90% of his throw ins were aimed at Murrys head, did not see him give many if any away, some are obviously intercepted, but get is not given away, I could name others in the squad that misplaced more passes than Bong.
I am not a big Bong fan( I prefer Suttner) but your post was way off the mark, he had a very good game, as did the rest of tbe players.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Charlies Shinpad;8321132 Him and Muzza were having a serious fall out in the first half[/QUOTE said:
Muzza knows how much better the team could be if AK was a little less selfish and a little less moody.
Muzza definitely sees it as his job to kick AK up the arse. He pulled him up from the floor and told him to get on with it at least twice.
More power to him for that.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I must have been at a different game go you, 90% of his throw ins were aimed at Murrys head, did not see him give many if any away, some are obviously intercepted, but get is not given away, I could name others in the squad that misplaced more passes than Bong.
I am not a big Bong fan( I prefer Suttner) but your post was way off the mark, he had a very good game, as did the rest of tbe players.

Not a 10 out of 10 performance was my point

Ps - where do you sit? It would be interesting to see if fans get a different perspective from different parts of the stadium. I’m west side near away dug out

Last edited:

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Is this a mistake?....Knockaert 9?....That rating equates to " outstanding "
It was a performance full of everything that is currently letting him down in the PL. Passing without looking. Snatching at shots. Continually ' overplaying ' Losing control of the ball, when running freely with it. Poor and inaccurate crossing. Agreed, he put a shift in but you need more at this level and he could offer more.
I really hoped this season that the management team were going to get hold of him and rein him in. The razzle, dazzle, twisting and turning and trying to beat the same player more than once, doesn't work at the highest level. Its all about quick, simple, accurate football played with pace and skill. All the over-playing and mistakes, that we all overlooked at Championship level, because he was a potential match-winner, are exposed in the PL.
The frustrating part is that when he keeps it simple, he looks very good. Surely the management must see this but over and over again we see him trying to do too much, losing the ball and then the inevitable flounce, sulk or hissy fit follows. Playing the way he does, he will not win us games at this level and will slip back to being a bit-part player, rolled out for short, cameo roles in home games.
The hardest part is getting him to change and if he can't, then his future at this level is limited.

Very harsh. Problem is we expect too much from Knockaert. We are much better when he plays.

Just from the highlights alone you can see his superior touch and silky movement which is not found anywhere else in our squad with the exception of Gross perhaps.

He was getting into good positions to score on Saturday, on another day he would have buried a couple (one of which was heading goalwards but struck an arm which was extended out as far as it possibly could be... I still don't understand what is and isn't handball these days and I don't think the officials do either).

It seems like some of our fans are expecting him to dribble two thirds the length of the pitch, one-two with Murray then slot it home as he was doing in the Championship, and because he's not, somehow he isn't 'Premier League quality' and is why leicester got rid. It's absolute bollocks. He remains our best wide player and I guarantee you PL clubs would want to acquire his services without hesitation.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I don't get this. Yes, Bong's energy, rampaging runs, tackling and enthusiasm were generally very good but he does give the ball away a lot, both with his passes and throw ins, esp in the first half

Yes his throws are comparable with a 10 year old, in fact I've seen some throw further than he can.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here