Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player ratings vs Wigan

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
Posted these on the other ratings thread.....
Walton 8 - grew in confidence as game went on. Didn;t really have many truly testing saves to make. slow distribution. But ought to stay in the team
Calderon 6 - in a much better position player deeper
Dunk 7 - almost got it out of the ground. Seemed a bit more niggly than usual
Greer 6 - solid although obviously hates Calderon - could at least look at him sometimes
Joe Bennett 8 - great link up play with KLL. Seemed happier playing deeper
JFC 8 - excellent match, almost pipped Walton for Mom. Terrier
Gardener 5 - did he kick the ball after scoring? Seemed totally invisible to me
Lua Lua 7 - excellent in first half, good in second. Playing in correct position, lovely low fizzing crosses
Texeira 7 - faded but better than recently - more involved
Elliott Bennett 7 - faded but made the difference. Seemed to provide a spark
Baldock - 7 - great runs again, woeful service

Ince 6
CMS 5
Halford n/a

Nervy and frequently poor display but much better system with flatter back four. Players seemed to know what is expected of them and managed to survive counter-attacks we would have crumbled against last week. Someone has had a very strong word with Sami. Let's see what happens Saturday.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Walton 8 - grew in confidence as game went on. Didn;t really have many truly testing saves to make. slow distribution. But ought to stay in the team. Agreed
Calderon 6 - in a much better position player deeper Agreed
Dunk 7 - almost got it out of the ground. Seemed a bit more niggly than usual Was there some spread betting going on? Seems like a few tried to do this?
Greer 6 - solid although obviously hates Calderon - could at least look at him sometimes Didn't notice but that but love him to bits but looking like his last season as 1st teamer. Coach please?
Joe Bennett 8 - great link up play with KLL. Seemed happier playing deeper Thought he had a good game
JFC 8 - excellent match, almost pipped Walton for Mom. Terrier Still think he would be better playing further upfield. He is not and never will be a Bridcutt
Gardener 5 - did he kick the ball after scoring? Seemed totally invisible to me Not sure why he was left on - would have preferred to see Ince on earlier
Lua Lua 7 - excellent in first half, good in second. Playing in correct position, lovely low fizzing crosses Agreed but gave it away too much in 2nd
Texeira 7 - faded but better than recently - more involved Needs to be braver and take a shot.Couple of times he seemed to be in a good position but took it further and passed
Elliott Bennett 7 - faded but made the difference. Seemed to provide a spark Great to see him back. Looked a different class at times
Baldock - 7 - great runs again, woeful service THIS! I am sure if we play Halford and him or even Corlunga he will get goals

Ince 6 Agreed
CMS 5 Too late to make a difference and like for like change
Halford n/a

Nervy and frequently poor display but much better system with flatter back four. Players seemed to know what is expected of them and managed to survive counter-attacks we would have crumbled against last week. Someone has had a very strong word with Sami. Let's see what happens Saturday.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Scunner

Feb 26, 2012
Near Heathfield
I love reading these threads, cognitive bias abounds!

I got to the game 15 mins late, so missed the best bits but saw enough.

Gardner was MOM for me and I didn't see the goal...I am certain that people get him and JFC confused regularly. A prime example is a JFC hater near me who shouted at him even though he was miles from the ball and it was Gardner that lost it! The numbers 18 and 19 don't help along with their hairstyles.

But on here the tide is against Gardner so the die is cast and no matter what he does all objectivity is lost.

On the flip side as I missed the first 15 mins, I also missed all the times E Bennett touched the ball, bar one header. The ratings on here would have you believe otherwise, but he was shot to bits by half time. I sincerely hope that he has brought inspiration to the team and will improve performance wise cos he didn't bring a lot else in the final 75 mins. Colunga must have been gutted after a great display and goal at Bournemouth.

Anyway:

Walton 7 - some good stops, but distribution poor and hopelessly one-footed. Wigan were abject in failing to expose that, other teams will press him on his left peg, forcing him to kick with the right. Long kick after long kick, I really hope this was an instruction and not his own choice.

Calderon - 5 - Bruno's absence is being felt stronger every passing week.
Greer - 6 quiet but clean sheet
Dunk - 6, same
Bennett J - 7 - really like his energy and desire to take people on

JFC - 6 high work rate, exposed by Teixera and the gaps behind
Gardner - 8 all over the pitch, a real shift with a bonus point for the goal

Tex - 5.5 naive and lightwieght, really exposed the midfield in the second half
KLL - 5.5 some great defensive work, but going forward he let himself down a lot
E Bennett - 4 - didn't notice him, might have been a 5 if I hadn't missed the first quarter

Baldock - 5 - felt sorry for him, long balls? Really?

Subs:

Ince 6 - came on 10 mins too late, but that was Hyypia's fault. Should be playing for Dagenham and Redbridge, but hey
CMS 4 - didn't affect the game, but neither would Messi have been able to, the way we were playing

Hyypia: 6 did what he had to do to get an ugly win.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
What I can say, is that half of you don't know what you're talking about.

Sadly, I don't know which half.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
JFC - 3 - i had been one the people at first saying give him a good chance but he tries to take it round 3 players all the time and it never works plus annoying how we could have settled the game with another goal but he decided to run it to the corner much to the annoyance of everyone, once Stephens is back i think he will be on the bench

I stood up and clapped like Sami did when JFC ran that ball into the corner, it was exactly the right thing to do at that time, and showed an experienced head on young shoulders.
Stephens will replace Gardner when fit.
Staggers me how people still don't see what JFC does for our side, its no co-incidence that he is our only central midfielder pretty much guaranteed a starting place.

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
Walton -8- MOTM - made some very good saves and was put under pressure with the ball at times. Did kick a couple straight out when panicking but loved the support the players and fans gave him.
Calde -6- steady, did his job
Greer -4- poor! Lost the ball and put Walton under pressure
Dunk -5- did ok but didn't seem composed on the ball
J.Bennett -6- got out of tight spaces well.
Gardner -6- good goal and at least tried to serve Baldock
JFC -7- not his biggest fan but one of his better games for me
Tex -5- Stop being so negative and turning back
E.Bennett -6- showed glimpses. Hopefully can keep him a bit longer. It just adds another option than relying on Paddy
KLL -5- started well but faded. Can he play 90 minutes effectively ?
Baldock -5- didn't get great service but is too static

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Walton 7 - some good stops, but distribution poor and hopelessly one-footed. Wigan were abject in failing to expose that, other teams will press him on his left peg, forcing him to kick with the right. Long kick after long kick, I really hope this was an instruction ...

He really had no choice but to kick long as Wigan were closing down any options he may have had for shorter balls.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Walton 8
Calderon 6
Greer 6
Dunk 7
J. Bennett 7
JFC 6
Gardner 5
Texeira 6
KLL 7
E. Bennett 7
Baldock 5

Subs:
Ince 6.5
CMS 5

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Walton 8 - grew in confidence as game went on. Didn;t really have many truly testing saves to make. slow distribution. But ought to stay in the team
Calderon 6 - in a much better position player deeper
Dunk 7 - almost got it out of the ground. Seemed a bit more niggly than usual
Greer 6 - solid although obviously hates Calderon - could at least look at him sometimes
Joe Bennett 8 - great link up play with KLL. Seemed happier playing deeper
JFC 8 - excellent match, almost pipped Walton for Mom. Terrier
Gardener 5 - did he kick the ball after scoring? Seemed totally invisible to me
Lua Lua 7 - excellent in first half, good in second. Playing in correct position, lovely low fizzing crosses
Texeira 7 - faded but better than recently - more involved
Elliott Bennett 7 - faded but made the difference. Seemed to provide a spark
Baldock - 7 - great runs again, woeful service

Ince 6
CMS 5
Halford n/a

JFC 8? Backwards, sideways, backwards, sideways another poor display from him and whats all the arm waving at other players about. His performances are not good enough for this team and the Championship. I was one to give him a chance when he broke into he first team but time has shown he's not what the team needs.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
JFC 8? Backwards, sideways, backwards, sideways another poor display from him and whats all the arm waving at other players about. His performances are not good enough for this team and the Championship. I was one to give him a chance when he broke into he first team but time has shown he's not what the team needs.

JFC might not be the real deal, but if Ince doesn't start he is the standout player in midfield most weeks. Gardener makes him look like Alexis Sanchez and Texiera has had it after 45 minutes. In the second half of games JFC is doing all the grafting himself no wonder he passes the ball sideways and backwards, he's F*****d. Play him with Ince and another midfielder who is fit enough to run around for 90 minutes and he will be fine. My opinion of course. There are plenty who disagree.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
JFC - 3 - i had been one the people at first saying give him a good chance but he tries to take it round 3 players all the time and it never works plus annoying how we could have settled the game with another goal but he decided to run it to the corner much to the annoyance of everyone, once Stephens is back i think he will be on the bench

I stood up and clapped like Sami did when JFC ran that ball into the corner, it was exactly the right thing to do at that time, and showed an experienced head on young shoulders.
Stephens will replace Gardner when fit.
Staggers me how people still don't see what JFC does for our side, its no co-incidence that he is our only central midfielder pretty much guaranteed a starting place.

Probably the same idiots who groaned when Greer passed the ball back to Walton instead of hitting it forward on about 80-85 minutes. I wonder if some of our fans just like to have someone to pick on, a group behind me used to pick out Barnes constantly, then moved to Greer when he left and have now started blaming Gardner for everything but world poverty, truly pathetic.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
JFC might not be the real deal, but if Ince doesn't start he is the standout player in midfield most weeks. Gardener makes him look like Alexis Sanchez and Texiera has had it after 45 minutes. In the second half of games JFC is doing all the grafting himself no wonder he passes the ball sideways and backwards, he's F*****d. Play him with Ince and another midfielder who is fit enough to run around for 90 minutes and he will be fine. My opinion of course. There are plenty who disagree.

I respect your opinion and what you state supports my opinion that our real problems lay in our midfield neither correctly supplying our forwards nor properly supporting our defence. JFC being your stand out player tells me, that despite having so many midfielders at the club, our midfield is not whatit should be and the root cause of our current woe's.

British Grenadier

I hate P*rtsm**th
Jan 15, 2012
Hanover
A rare log on for me to post in the ratings thread for the first time - I sit in the north west corner

Walton - 7. Did what was asked of him and made a few one or two good saves, the rest of them were routine saves. A solid debut, a clean sheet should do his confidence some good. He should play on Saturday for the sake of consistency.

Joe Bennett - 6. Did not have to make the runs that he has done under the previous formation.

Greer - 6. Not great but not massively poor.

Dunk - 7.5. Solid, another good performance from him.

Calderon - 4.5. At one point I wondered if he was carrying an injury, as he made a couple of strange decisions last night.

Elliot Bennett - 6. Great to see him back in the blue and white stripes. Good awareness, some lovely touches but faded a bit towards the end. Hopefully his knock was just minor and he is OK to start on Saturday.

J-FC - 5.5. Too much sideways passing, Hyypia should have started with Ince.

Gardener 7.5 I really don't like him (definitely my "boo boy") and I would have happily not seen him in the team again (in hindsight, perhaps just not in the position he has played in previously) but he seemed to have far more of a visible presence last night and I couldn't believe it was the same player.

Lua Lua - 5.5. Full of running but as usual, sometimes a bit cluelessly. He would have got a 6 but he still has not learned to pass to his team mates (even for a quick one-two) and so loses the ball when three players converge on him. He also needs to learn to pick himself up quickly when he gets knocked on the floor and not just sit there in a despairing mess. Did anyone see him blatantly push the player to get the ball in the second half? He should have been booked but the referee just seemed to ignore it and Kaz nearly got a shot on target.

Tex - 6. A bit like the rest of the team, he started OK and then faded towards the end.

Baldock 6. Didn't get a great deal of supply - blazed over the bar in the first half when perhaps he should have made a different decision. I could see that he was getting tired, so I don't know why it too Hyypia so long to substiute him.

Substitutes
CM-S 6.5. He should have been on a lot earlier but like Baldock, didn't get much supply.

Ince. 6. Added the height we needed in the 2nd half. He should have started the game

Halford 6. Not really on long enough to mark but won a header.

Hopefully Hyypia will start with a similar formation on Saturday.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Walton 7 - MOTM. Nothing too major to do but did the simple things well.
Calderon 6 - Looks jaded
Greer 6 - Some way off his early season form
Dunk 7 - Our best defender
J. Bennett 5 - Cavalier running with the ball was unnecessary. Spectacular when it comes off, very dangerous when it doesn't
JFC 6 - Did okay, had the wrong partner
Gardner 5 - Not a holding midfielder
Texeira 6 - wonderful ball down the channel to release Baldock for the goal but probably should have scored rather than hit the bar
KLL 6 - His typical mixed bag. Highlight was the run and cross for Tex to hit the woodwork. He looked very pumped at the final whistle
E. Bennett 6 - Bright but unspectacular. Faded
Baldock 7 - Good assist for the goal. Looking really up for it

Subs:
Ince 7 - a midfielder that can tackle?!?! Novel idea
CMS 5 - half the player Baldock is

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I'm feeling sleepy and it's been a day since the match.

Walton - 7.5
Calderon - 6.5
Greer - 6
Dunk - 7
J Bennett - 6.5
Teixeira - 6.5
Forster-Caskey - 7
Gardner - 6 Yeah he scored, and was a bit more involved than recent games, but that's hardly an achievement given how poor he has been. Still trying to be too flashy, he cut out the constant long range shots, but was trying crosses with the outside of his foot that couldn't beat the first man, etc.
E Bennett - 7.5 good performance, key effort to start the run for the goal and general play
Baldock - 6.5 not given a lot to work with, good cross for goal
Lualua - 6 quite poor in the second half, seemed to lack interest in defending, really frustrating when he got dispossessed and just laid on the ground leaving us exposed to the attack

Ince - looked clumsy, and not sure his performance was that good, which makes it odd that we were a bit more solid as a team with him
Halford - comical touches.
CMS - not sure what he did, to be honest.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Walton 8
Calderon 8 McClean never had a kick
Greer 7
Dunk 7
J.Bennett 6
JFC 6
Gardner 7 Best match yet
Texeira 7
KLL 8 MOTM Two plum assists that should have been goals
E.Bennett 7
Baldock 3 Three missed opportunities

Ince 7
CMS/Halford NA

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
just like the talent shows there is big difference in how people
mark the performances.
For many the marks 0-4 do not exist
and a 5 is a very poor game although it lies
near the middle of the range available.
despite the win we were second best at home
to a side also struggling near the relegation zone
when we won back possession we treated the ball
like a hot potato spat uncomfortably between players
until it was launched forward for our small forwards
to struggle to compete for.
To me an average mark of 5 out of 10 seems generous
there are four marks available below that.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Average Ratings

Highest Rated:
Walton 7.55 (96mins, 32 votes)

The Rest:
Dunk 6.77 (96mins, 32 votes)
J. Bennett 6.31 (96mins, 32 votes)
<E. Bennett 6.31 (89mins, 32 votes)
>Ince 6.02 (26mins, 25 votes)
<Teixeira 6.02 (70mins, 32 votes)
Greer 5.98 (96mins, 32 votes)
Calderon 5.94 (96mins, 32 votes)
Forster-Caskey 5.89 (96mins, 32 votes)
<Baldock 5.86 (78mins, 32 votes)
LuaLua 5.81 (96mins, 32 votes)
Gardner 5.50 (96mins, 32 votes)
>Mackail-Smith 5.27 (18mins, 22 votes)
>G. Halford 5.25 (7mins, 4 votes)

Squad average: 6.04

Also includes ratings in this thread: http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?312304-Wigan-ratings

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here