Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player ratings vs Villa

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
There is no chance you're being serious.

If it weren't for Baldock we may not have equalised. It's you who is struggling to be serious. Sure it wasn't his best game but to ignore his overall contribution is...well, stupid.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
I'm a bit bemused by the love for Duffy tonight. Some strong defending at times but he gives the ball away in some dangerous positions.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
There is no chance you're being serious.

Baldock had a run of form, that's well and truly over now. How anyone can suggest he played well despite having no impact on the game at all is ridiculous. Lost the ball, ran into blind alleys and did nothing of any quality at all. Back to his worst tonight, the Wolves game was his absolute one in a hundred performance.

Why is it that you clearly hate one of the players that plays week in week out for the club you support (that have been doing pretty well for the past 18 months as well) for no good reason and stick the boot in as soon as he has an off day (ie: doesn't score a goal)? Where were you when he was scoring goals? Did you come on here to give him credit for his performances? Did you ****. You were probably raging over the fact he had won us a game.. it's as if you actually want him to play badly.

I know you've had similar opinions of players like LuaLua, which is understandable because he blows hot and cold and genuinely looks like he could not give a **** sometimes, but Baldock always gives it his all and has been the perfect partner for GM this season; if he's good enough for Chris Hughton, he's good enough for me.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I thought Bong did quit well considering the opposition, 7

Alas, Dale Stephen no better than Rohan Ince could have done. 5. Murray 8 Stockdale 7. Bruno did not so much wrong 7. All the others 6

We all knew that any team managed by Bruce would battle for the ball.

I think a genuine speed merchant would have roasted those full backs. Solly March would have caused them more trouble.

Last edited:

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Stockdale-8 MOTM for me - Thanks for the Point Stocko
Bruno-7- Frustrated
Dunk-7.75 - Mr Dependable
Duffy- 7.5 Nice and Solid
Bong- 6 - Not his best.
Skalak - 6.5- Tried but nothing was happening for him
Stephens-5- Disgusting performance - He's starting to take the piss.
Sidwell-7- Good Midfield Marshall
Knockaert- 6 - Wizardry wasn't working
Murray-5.5 - Didn't do enough
Baldock-7.5 - worked their back line well

Stockdale MOTM you are having a laugh :facepalm:

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
You on the wind up fella?

Stockers was at fault for the goal and he made one save which was straight at him. He also flapped at every cross.

In fact he seems to have lost all confidence on crosses this season. Tries to punch everything and often flaps at thin air

I'm not usually critical of Stockdale but this about sums last nights performance up!

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Stockdale 8 - kept us in it. Hard to tell whether he should've done better with their goal but, personally, I think the touch was too late for him to really react to.
Bruno 7 - a decent if unspectacular game. His crossing was wasteful at times and he didn't get forward as much as normal.
Duffy 6 - looked nervous and ruffled at times. Got beaten in the air on a few too many occasions and gave the ball away in dangerous areas a couple of times too. The worst I've seen him play, so these things happen.
Dunk 7 - slightly better than his defensive partner, but still not quite at his usual standards.
Bong 5 - a poor game by his recent standards. Slowed the play down too much at times, partly because there wasn't enough movement from the forwards, partly because they closed him down well, and partly because he wasn't quick enough on the ball. Was also suspect defensively and allowed them to work too many crossing situations down his side.
Knockaert 4 - he had a bad game. It's the first one I've seen him have. Their left back is clearly a good player, and the stress of recent events must have taken its toll - quickly move on.
Sidwell 5 - missed two excellent opportunities in a tight game, gave the ball away stupidly at times, and found it difficult against their 3 in midfield. Particularly troubled when Grealish came on who found it far too easy to find space.
Stephens 6 - slightly better than Sidwell in terms of keeping possession, but still well below his recent standards.
Skalak 5 - unfortunately, Hughton got it totally wrong starting him. We didn't have enough of the ball high up the pitch for him to be effective. Totally wasted as a result. Worked hard defensively mind. Set piece delivery not up to its usual standard either.
Murray 8 - did as well as he could have with little help and support. A great goal too, but the team is crying out for a number 10 player in games like this to stop us getting overrun in midfield, with the result being a massive disconnect to our forwards.
Baldock 5 - started well but faded massively, assist aside. Should've been taken off much earlier than he was, for tactical reasons as much as anything. His closing down of the opposition is excellent, but his lack of game intelligence and varied movement when we have the ball is starting to become really troublesome and causes so many moves to break down where he should be an outlet but isn't offering a passing alternative for our defenders and midfielders.

Murphy 6 - came on and provided more than Baldock in terms of a direct alternative and a link to midfield, but the change was made far too late and Villa were on top by the time he came on.
Norwood 6 - a horrible game to come into with the team retreating so much already.

Hughton 6

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Stockdale 6.5 -- fairly safe, one very good save but, given his high standards, he might be disappointed with the goal
Bruno 6.5 -- solid enough game, and did well enough against Kodjia who was a real handful all night
Duffy 7 -- solid
Dunk 7.5 -- top, top defender. Did look as though he was winding himself up at the end
Bong 6 -- looked a bit ponderous and slow, but did get forward well at times
Knockaert 6 -- not quite on his game tonight
Sidwell 6.5 -- got himself about and used his body well, but couldn't impose himself on the game
Stephens 7.5 -- one or two misplaced passes but, beyond that, oozed calm and got things going
Skalak 7 -- had a decent game and made most the right decisions
Baldock 6.5 -- usual hard work and some good moments in the first half
Murray 8 MotM -- a quite fantastic finish, and plenty of good passages of play

Subs:
Murphy 5.5 -- made too many mistakes
Norwood 6.5 -- did a decent enough job

Villa were the best team to come here. Well organised, good pressing and so many dangerous options up-front, I'd be amazed if they didn't make the play-offs, and they're still in the race for automatics. Got to say I'm happy with a point, but was surprised to see that we had 59% possession (it must have been mostly in our half).

Agree totally. Stephens gave the ball away a few times towards the end of the match, but otherwise he first class.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Stockdale 7 Bit harsh to blame for goal. Ditribution very good.
Bong 5 Some good attacking but dire in defence. Didnt stop any crosses.
Dunk 8 Very good
Duffy 7 Good
Sidwell 5 Central midfield was dominated
Stevens 5 " " "
Knockhaert 4 Very poor apart from one outstanding pass diddnt do anything.
Murray 6 Marked up for goal and very poor in first half
Baldock 5 Apart from running around
Skalak 4 Offers nothing up front
No complaints point against a good side. Games like this do miss Kayal putting it about

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Stockdale-8 MOTM for me - Thanks for the Point Stocko
Bruno-7- Frustrated
Dunk-7.75 - Mr Dependable
Duffy- 7.5 Nice and Solid
Bong- 6 - Not his best.
Skalak - 6.5- Tried but nothing was happening for him
Stephens-5- Disgusting performance - He's starting to take the piss.
Sidwell-7- Good Midfield Marshall
Knockaert- 6 - Wizardry wasn't working
Murray-5.5 - Didn't do enough
Baldock-7.5 - worked their back line well

Stockdale MOTM he was badly at fault for the first goal. He is a worry, several big mistakes have cost us games this season

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Stockdale 4
Bruno 6
Bong 5
Dunk 8 MOTM
Duffy 6
Stephens 6
Sidwell 6.5
Knockeart 5
Skalak 6.5
Baldock 6
Murray 7

Norwood 6
Murphy 6

Some interesting ratings from last night. Certainly not getting the high marks for Stockdale. Murray's fine strike should have been the opener and the games complete different.

To a lesser extent Duffy I thought it was his worst game for sometime.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
For me all 7 except:

Bong - 5 ( was all at sea )
Stephens - 4 ( already trfd in his head I think )
Knocky - 5 ( off the pace )

...and I am still not sure what Norwood brings to the party... he gets a 5.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I've seen better performances, but a point probably fair and we could easily have lost. We gave the ball away far far too often. And why do we always take off a striker and bring on a midfielder near the end when the game is on edge? All we do is invite pressure on our defence. Eight Villa corners in quick succession was the result today. Crazy!

Stockdale 7. One great save, OK distribution, could he have done better with the goal?
Bruno 7. Decent enough game, but not his best.
Dunk 8. Good performance. One run upfield near the end could have cost us.
Duffy 9. Excellent. MOM.
Bong 5. Not at his best defending or attacking.
Stephens 5. Guilty of giving the ball away far too often. A very poor game by his standards.
Sidwell 8. One of the best performances, but even he gave the ball away unnecessarily a couple of times.
Knockaert 6. Poor by his standards. Over elaborated when should have passed on too many occasions. Surprised he wasn't subbed earlier.
Skalak 7. OK performance.
Murray 8. Held the ball up well, great in the air, super goal.

Subs
Murphy 7. OK
Norwood 7. OK

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Stockdale 8 - kept us in it. Hard to tell whether he should've done better with their goal but, personally, I think the touch was too late for him to really react to.
Bruno 7 - a decent if unspectacular game. His crossing was wasteful at times and he didn't get forward as much as normal.
Duffy 6 - looked nervous and ruffled at times. Got beaten in the air on a few too many occasions and gave the ball away in dangerous areas a couple of times too. The worst I've seen him play, so these things happen.
Dunk 7 - slightly better than his defensive partner, but still not quite at his usual standards.
Bong 5 - a poor game by his recent standards. Slowed the play down too much at times, partly because there wasn't enough movement from the forwards, partly because they closed him down well, and partly because he wasn't quick enough on the ball. Was also suspect defensively and allowed them to work too many crossing situations down his side.
Knockaert 4 - he had a bad game. It's the first one I've seen him have. Their left back is clearly a good player, and the stress of recent events must have taken its toll - quickly move on.
Sidwell 5 - missed two excellent opportunities in a tight game, gave the ball away stupidly at times, and found it difficult against their 3 in midfield. Particularly troubled when Grealish came on who found it far too easy to find space.
Stephens 6 - slightly better than Sidwell in terms of keeping possession, but still well below his recent standards.
Skalak 5 - unfortunately, Hughton got it totally wrong starting him. We didn't have enough of the ball high up the pitch for him to be effective. Totally wasted as a result. Worked hard defensively mind. Set piece delivery not up to its usual standard either.
Murray 8 - did as well as he could have with little help and support. A great goal too, but the team is crying out for a number 10 player in games like this to stop us getting overrun in midfield, with the result being a massive disconnect to our forwards.
Baldock 5 - started well but faded massively, assist aside. Should've been taken off much earlier than he was, for tactical reasons as much as anything. His closing down of the opposition is excellent, but his lack of game intelligence and varied movement when we have the ball is starting to become really troublesome and causes so many moves to break down where he should be an outlet but isn't offering a passing alternative for our defenders and midfielders.

Murphy 6 - came on and provided more than Baldock in terms of a direct alternative and a link to midfield, but the change was made far too late and Villa were on top by the time he came on.
Norwood 6 - a horrible game to come into with the team retreating so much already.

Hughton 6

This; in spades. You're about the only person who saw the same game I did. It's unusual for me to have such a different opinion from those with whom I tend to discuss the game afterwards, but last night I wondered if I was starting to totally lose any lingering ability to read a game. Your analysis has provided some comfort; thank you. Unless you're going mad too, of course.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Stockdale MOTM he was badly at fault for the first goal. He is a worry, several big mistakes have cost us games this season

As usual when we concede a goal, Stockdale must be blamed by some on here. You could argue he could have done better, although I think he was a bit unlucky personally. He then started the move for our goal with a very important interception at the feet of one of their players when the defence went to sleep and quick throw to Skalak. But I assume you must have been somewhere else at that point as you give him a 4.

He came for one cross and got nowhere near it but other than that had a very good game and made a very good save second half. I'm not too worried about a keeper who has conceded 10 goals in 17 games but of course that's all down to the defence and we probably wouldn't have conceded all season if it wasn't for Stockdale.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Stockdale 6 - one good save, dodgy on a couple of the corners
Bruno 6
Bong 5 Poor defending and slowed things down too much coming forward
Duffy 6
Dunk 8 solid as ever
Knockaert 6 some silky control in the middle of the park, but pretty much owned by the Villa left back when on the wing.
Stephens 4 Too many misplaced passes and too often caught in possession
Sidwell 6
Skalak 7 got up and down the line well
Baldock 5 lots of running, not a lot of product
Murray 7 great goal

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
As usual when we concede a goal, Stockdale must be blamed by some on here. You could argue he could have done better, although I think he was a bit unlucky personally. He then started the move for our goal with a very important interception at the feet of one of their players when the defence went to sleep and quick throw to Skalak. But I assume you must have been somewhere else at that point as you give him a 4.

He came for one cross and got nowhere near it but other than that had a very good game and made a very good save second half. I'm not too worried about a keeper who has conceded 10 goals in 17 games but of course that's all down to the defence and we probably wouldn't have conceded all season if it wasn't for Stockdale.

Off the top of my head mistakes at

Reading away
Preston home
Newcastle away

He didn't cover himself in glory at home to Brentford. He continually flaps/punches at crosses, inviting further pressure.

We are fortunate to have a strong defence to protect him. His form this season has been poor.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Off the top of my head mistakes at

Reading away
Preston home
Newcastle away

He didn't cover himself in glory at home to Brentford. He continually flaps/punches at crosses, inviting further pressure.

We are fortunate to have a strong defence to protect him. His form this season has been poor.

I'm bored of going through this. Every time we concede a goal it is blame Stockdale. The Newcastle and last night are both very harsh, Reading he was at fault but it took a deflection in front of him and Preston was a ridiculous back pass from Bruno. It is almost like people are waiting for us to concede to slag off Stockdale. As a key part of the best defence in the league, I am happy with him. But, as you and some others on here say, he clearly deserves no credit for that and all the blame if we concede.

I notice you ignore my point about our goal. It was a good cross and there were no defenders nearby. It could have been 2-0 but, partly thanks to Stockdale's interception and throw, it was 1-1.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I've seen better performances, but a point probably fair and we could easily have lost. We gave the ball away far far too often. And why do we always take off a striker and bring on a midfielder near the end when the game is on edge? All we do is invite pressure on our defence. Eight Villa corners in quick succession was the result today. Crazy!

Stockdale 7. One great save, OK distribution, could he have done better with the goal?
Bruno 7. Decent enough game, but not his best.
Dunk 8. Good performance. One run upfield near the end could have cost us.
Duffy 9. Excellent. MOM.
Bong 5. Not at his best defending or attacking.
Stephens 5. Guilty of giving the ball away far too often. A very poor game by his standards.
Sidwell 8. One of the best performances, but even he gave the ball away unnecessarily a couple of times.
Knockaert 6. Poor by his standards. Over elaborated when should have passed on too many occasions. Surprised he wasn't subbed earlier.
Skalak 7. OK performance.
Murray 8. Held the ball up well, great in the air, super goal.

Subs
Murphy 7. OK
Norwood 7. OK

You missed Baldock out

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here