Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player ratings vs Nottm Forest

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Stockdale - 3 - terrible indecision, cost us the game
Bruno - 5 - not as bad as many are making out. New whipping boy with JFC out?
Bennett - 4 - yet another goal conceded from the left hand side, cannot defend even if his life depended on it.
Greer - 4 - awful
Dunk - 7 - better than many, having to cover Greer
Holla - 6 - great free-kick and always available
Ince - 8 - comfortably the best player
Calderon - 5 - tried hard, but sloppy and didn't keep the shape terribly well.
Texeirra - 5 - all very pretty, looks great on the ball but created hardly anything. 1 great game, 8 mediocre.
March - 4 - did very little whilst on.
O'Grady - 6 - held the ball up well but little else, Texeirra too far away most of the time.

KLL - 5 - glad he's back but nothing of note
Best - 4 - did little
Kayal - 6 - good goal, but wonder if he was supposed to be tracking the player on the 3rd.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
If you are unwilling to accept that Stockwell's gaffe a minute after we had taken the lead probably cost us the game then so be it. Forest were all over the place until they scored. That goal gave them a massive confidence boost and a million pound keeper should not be as inconsistent as Stockdale is. I thought he had started to turn it around but some of his decision making is hairbrained. His performance yesterday was not good enough, defend him all you like but he undid the teams's good work at a time when he should have just done the basics right. To then suggest it's ok because you don't think he would have saved the shot anyway misses the point completely.

I agree, but 0, come off it....... His distribution was ok, but as you say decision making is very poor.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I agree, but 0, come off it....... His distribution was ok, but as you say decision making is very poor.

Ok so I was so pissed off by the goal I may have overreacted a bit I accept. However if Stockdale continues to cost us more points than he saves us we are going to be in League One next season, This, to me, is a sobering thought and I struggle to understand how fans can't see how often he has cost us this season. A decent goalkeeper often gets MOM for struggling teams, Rotherham apart I am struggling to remember when Stockdale has been MOM this season. I HAVE given Stockdale credit in recent games so there is no agenda in my criticism of him.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Ok so I was so pissed off by the goal I may have overreacted a bit I accept. However if Stockdale continues to cost us more points than he saves us we are going to be in League One next season, This, to me, is a sobering thought and I struggle to understand how fans can't see how often he has cost us this season. A decent goalkeeper often gets MOM for struggling teams, Rotherham apart I am struggling to remember when Stockdale has been MOM this season. I HAVE given Stockdale credit in recent games so there is no agenda in my criticism of him.

Weren't saying at any point that you did have an agenda. Generally, I agree with all your posts including the one above, it was the zero mark I thought was questionable.

Without thinking through all the games....... Yesterday 1st goal, arguably Blackpool away (but could give him the benefit), Cardiff at home, 'Boro home thought he was a little slow off his line. But all of those amount to 6 points that would see us more comfortable. You can also add he has made fewer 'wonder' saves than Kuszczak did.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Stockdale 0
All the talk is of the first but have a look at the spot from where the 2nd was struck & be amazed how a goalkeeper could be beaten let alone not move a muscle. It's a virtual impossible angle to be beaten but he doesn't move an inch
Totally clueless

That was an obvious deflection, there is no way that went straight in.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
That was an obvious deflection, there is no way that went straight in.

I thought that at the time and just watched the FLS which confirms it: the shot was going well wide and took a deflection; it could have been an own goal.

Interesting that Bruno is taking some stick, including for the first goal for not clearing it properly leading to the foul for the free kick. Looked to me liked a decent clearance; you don't want him messing about with the ball in the 6 yard box. If anything, it was a bit reckless by Tex, as the Forrest player was a long way out of the box, facing away from the goal and wasn't a threat.

Replay of the 1st goal was as saw I it at the time: if he'd not tried to come for the ball Stockdale would probably have gathered the weak header first bounce or, at very least, pushed it around the post. The replay from behind the goal makes it look even worse as he actually moved towards the far post thinking that it was going to clear all the defenders and attackers: a serious misjudgement that left a virtually open goal.

Last thing: the booking for Ince was spot on. Antonio was in a very dangerous position and just about to enter the box. I'd say it was an intentional foul.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I thought that at the time and just watched the FLS which confirms it: the shot was going well wide and took a deflection; it could have been an own goal.

Interesting that Bruno is taking some stick, including for the first goal for not clearing it properly leading to the foul for the free kick. Looked to me liked a decent clearance; you don't want him messing about with the ball in the 6 yard box. If anything, it was a bit reckless by Tex, as the Forrest player was a long way out of the box, facing the away from the goal and wasn't a threat.

Replay of the 1st goal was as saw it at the time: if he'd not tried to come for the ball Stockdale would probably have gathered the weak header first bounce or, at very least, pushed it around the post. The replay from behind the goal makes it look even worse as he actually moved towards the far post thinking that it was going to clear all the defenders and attackers: a serious misjudgement that left a virtually open goal.

Last thing: the booking for Ince was spot on. Antonio was in a very dangerous position and just about to enter the box. I'd say it was an intentional foul.

Very accurate summary.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Stockdale 3 -- one shocking decision really cost us
Bruno 4 -- one of his weakest games for us; awful crossing, especially when KLL played him through with the pass of the game
Greer 5 -- handled Assombalonga well; dire shot at the end
Dunk 7 -- another goal, another assured performance
Bennett 5 -- not one of his better games; has to cross the ball better
Holla 7 -- great passing, even better set pieces, just a bit too slow
Ince 8 MoM -- and to think Hyypia wouldn't pick him; extend his contract as a matter of urgency
Calde 4 -- didn't really create anything, positionally suspect too, he's not an attacking midfielder
Texieira 7 -- really creative, brilliant at finding pockets of space, it's a shame we're not so good at getting the ball to him quicker and more regularly
March n/a -- how Lichaj didn't get booked for that challenge is beyond me
O'Grady 6 -- good work-rate and hold-up play, never looked like scoring

KLL 7 -- not match fit but, as has been the case this season, his decision-making is much improved, made a number of well-placed passes
Best 4 -- bits of decent movement, but utterly ineffectual today
Kayal -- impossible to rate, but boy he impressed. Please can he start the next game.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Stockdale 5 -- An easy target for the boo boys, Please have some urgency when we're behind
Bruno 4 -- as far as I could see, he was still playing under the Hyppia strategy
Greer 6 -- actually found his performance steady, missed a great header in the first half and a poor shot in the second
Dunk 7 -- local boy, like him, but he can be wild at times and is not always in the right position
Bennett 5 -- there s a reason he's on loan and not playing in the prem, needs to work on his crossing
Holla 7 -- at last, someone in our team who can take a set piece, worked hard yesterday and ran around a lot, looks overweight but maybe that's his build.
Ince 8 MoM -- its about desire and confidence, took hold of the midfield, strong and had endurance today
Calde 5 -- Love Calde s commitment to the team, but out of position and didn't really get involved today
Texieira 7 -- the guy has great vision and skill on the ball, he's not a hard man and needs some protection, if played correctly could be a game changer
March 6 -- such a shame to see him go off, hasn't been the player his potential indicated at the beginning of last season, needs to be managed differently
O'Grady 7 -- he can hold the ball up, wins a lot of balls, but where s the support for him, its begging for him and Baldock/CMS to start a game

KLL 4 -- my dads favourite player, but what a disappointment, irrespective of fitness, his intelligence of reading the game is poor and once found out by the right back his game is over
Best 4 -- this guy will score goals if we give him the opportuity
Kayal -- great start, but worrying that he now comes with such high expectations, Celtic following acquaintance tells me not to expect too much from him

Hughton 6 -- You have a real challenge on your hands, its not a given that we will avoid the drop, done well on clearing the dead wood. My son in law (West Ham man who comes three or four times a year} commented that our style of play doesn't look much different from Poyet/Garcia and even Hyppia, in that the build up is slow predictable, hence we're not scoring too many from open play. Have to say I a in agreement with that. Hope TB told you the truth when he signed you Chris otherwise you are going to be mighty disappointed come the summer, if we're still in the Championship.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

I didn't think this at all. I thought Ince was intercepting like he did against Sanchez, putting his long legs to reach the ball. Antonio was wise to this and simply sped up and ran into Ince thus earning a foul. I was not sure it was a penalty or Antonio would be booked for diving with that referee?

Much how Buckley used to win his free kicks and Lualua , a sudden burst of acceleration as the defender commits.

Bruno handles the winger differently, standing off and blocking the cross. Antonio even got one cross (about the only other thing he did all afternoon) in by crossing with his second touch. Burke did these quick second touch crosses as well. There is more than running around going nowhere like Teixeira.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Stockdale 1

Bruno 5
Greer 2
Dunk 6
Bennett 4

Calderon 5
Holla 6
Ince 7

Lua Lua 5
OGrady 6
Tex 5

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Stockdale 0
All the talk is of the first but have a look at the spot from where the 2nd was struck & be amazed how a goalkeeper could be beaten let alone not move a muscle. It's a virtual impossible angle to be beaten but he doesn't move an inch
Totally clueless

I dont know where you sit, but we were behind Lansbury in the ESU. He drove the ball into the box, it didnt help that we only had 2 in the wall and that Ince broke from it. but the ball was nowhere near Stockdale and was deflected off a defender.
To say it was an impossible angle and he doesn't move an inch is rediculous.
Totally clueless refers to your summery or memory

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
The Sunday Times goes

Stockdale 6
Bruno 5
Greer 5
Dunk 5
Bennett 4
Holla 7
Ince 6
Calderon 6
Tex 7
March 4
O'Grady 5

Subs
Kayal 7
Best 5
LuaLua 6

I would not argue with those scores. Perhaps Stockwell a 5. The real problem though is the defence in front of Stockwell and not Stockwell himself.

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012
The Sunday Times goes

Stockdale 6
Bruno 5
Greer 5
Dunk 5
Bennett 4
Holla 7
Ince 6
Calderon 6
Tex 7
March 4
O'Grady 5

Subs
Kayal 7
Best 5
LuaLua 6

I would not argue with those scores. Perhaps Stockwell a 5. The real problem though is the defence in front of Stockwell and not Stockwell himself.

How on earth did the Times give Stockdale a 6? He didn't make a save, surely that's the basis of a good game for a keeper? Or do you get bonus points for a particularly good goal kick or picking the ball out the back of the net with style?

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
Stockdale 5
Bruno 7
Dunk 7
Greer 5
Bennett 6
Ince 8
Holla 7
Texiera 8
Lua Lua 5
Calderon 6
O'Grady 7

charliemulgrew21

Feb 8, 2015
Where to start there is just no desire to get forward at pace.

Stockdale - 4 oh dear
Bruno - 3 just awful
Greer -5 what pace he did have has gone and he is always on the back foot.
Dunk - 7 best defender by far
Bennett - 5 not terrible but just had no impact on the game
Ince - 8 best player on the pitch again
Holla - 6 he is OK but I think he give Ince the freedom to perform
Calderon - 5 meh
Tex - 7 best attacking player on the pitch
March - not enough time to mark
OGrady - 6 held the ball well but that was it really

Lua Lua - 6 still not on the pace but showed a bit more intent to attack
Best - 4 didn't even realise he was on the pitch
Kayak - 9 if you can put that much enthusiasm and attitude into every game the we will have a quality player.

He does. Fit and firing he is every bit as good, maybe even better than Wanyama who he played beside. For a long time I thought he was by far our best player.

Hope you don't mind me joining by the way, Celtic fan.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
He does. Fit and firing he is every bit as good, maybe even better than Wanyama who he played beside. For a long time I thought he was by far our best player.

Hope you don't mind me joining by the way, Celtic fan.

No problem, that is really good to hear we are desperate for some to take control of the midfield and it is looking like he's the man.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Stockdale - 3 no confidence and hardly ever saves a goal, decision making poor, defenders no idea if he will come out or stay on his line
Bruno - 5 ok going forward but cant defend, positional sense poor
Greer - 4 having a poor run
Dunk - 6 pick of the defenders
Bennett - 3 poor game, going forward hardly put in a good cross all game
Ince - 8 My MoTM, never gave up
Holla - 6 a better game but still think he goes missing for large chunks of the game
Calderon - 3 give up on the experiment please and get a proper midfield player in
Tex - 6 tried hard, game has come on in respect of being a team player
March - n/a as didnt last long
O'Grady - 6 for hold up play 2 for goal threat

Lua Lua - 5 didnt look fit BUT he did make the Forest defenders work
Best - 3 as per O'Grady no real threat in front of goal for most of his time on the pitch
Kayak - n/a as so short but he did have an impact which was good to see

Overall thought we deserved a point but gifted too many goals and the goal just before half time saw the confidence of the team and fans vanish. We controlled the first half and let Forest walk all over us most of the second half.

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
thought we were the better team but it is a worry to concede
3 to a team which attacked so little.
stockdale 5
Bruno 6 ( lots of good touches 1st half
Greer 5
dunk 6
Bennett 5

calde 5
Ince 8
hola 7